• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Firstgear Kathmandu gear...

synstars

So I was skeptical on the Firstgear Kathmandu gear and wanted to provide others with feedback here.

For those wanting a high quality product at a very fair price for warmth, fitment, and protection I cast a vote for the Kathmandu.

I'm a 6'2" male at 188lbs a 41.5 inch chest, 33 waist, and 32 inseam. I was skeptical on the fitment based on the chart that revzilla provided because I am typically very difficult to find cloths for. I ordered anyways and found that the overalls as well as the jacket fit great with a 34 Tall overalls and Large Tall jacket.

Jacket:
- liner has elastic around the sleeves to keep warmth
- not too bulky
- velcro straps around the waist and arms to tighten or loosen for better fitment
- comes with a camel-back, wtf no one told me that!!!
- accessible pockets as well as multiple vents for airing yourself out
- some forearm, shoulder, and back protection, light and not bulky either.
- velcro at end of sleeves if not using the liner
- length was past hips for me which I found absolutely amazing. The Jaunt 2 is a similar build to the Kathmandu but it is much shorter in length.

Overalls:
- liner is light, not bulky
- access to pant pockets that appear to be waterproof/resistant armed with a velcro flap and zipper
- armed with elastic at the footing to keep warmth, attached to pants not liner itself like the jacket
- has zippers from ankle to almost knee for better boot fitment
- some hip and knee protection which can be adjusted
- suspenders to keep your britches up

The Cons:
- the elastic legging portion on the pants does not seem to be well attached to the pants, a little care is needed to ensure you don't rip any of the stitches which I did on day way tossing them on with boot. The elastic legging DOES open all the way, equipped with a button and zipper to prevent this from happening. I was to eager.

So far, that is my review on them and for $550 for the set I found it to be a hell of a deal. I am normally a cold person but I wanted to try them out so I wore jeans, a light hoodie, and a t-shirt with a pair of normal leather gloves today on my ride to school in Spokane, WA The temperature in the country was 35 degrees, hand grips were turned off, and I just had a pair of hiking boots on. 5 minutes into the trip I had to open my jacket as I was overheating! Needless to say, the warmth and comfort thus far is real!

Anyways, I know we are always asking advice on gear and I think this is a great 3 season set and should at least be considered on anyone's next purchase.

Thanks

Thank you for the review. I've been looking to upgrade riding gear and there is a lot of information provided out there. This is additional good quality feedback.

Enjoy!

Back