• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New Old 1996 R 1100 R

grumpygnome

So I just got the bike a day ago. 1996 R 1100 R, 63 800 on the odometer. (As typical as it sounds, I will turn 46, and that's how midlife crisis manifested:scratch)
Been cleaning a space in the garage, and figuring what to do next.
The bike looks stock except for the seat (Corbin), and that is a small issue, as I am 5'3 with shoes on, and on the lowest setting I reach with my toes only...
I am wondering if the OEM seat is not a bit lower/narrower, and better suited for my legs.

The plan is (after I get it registered, and me permitted) to go for a short ride, to see if anything bothers me, then while hot, change the oil. I would think all the fluids better be changed too.
Advice on the
- tool kit
- motor, trans oil
- braking fluid
- spark plugs and cables
- what else?
is greatly appreciated.
I expect to do all the work myself (I have some experience from my youth days), as working on the bike is big part of the fun. I would not put a lot miles on the bike (suburban life with wife and two kids takes a lot of free time), and I tend to keep my stuff for a long time, as I value mechanical workings over the appearance.

So I just got the bike a day ago. 1996 R 1100 R, 63 800 on the odometer. (As typical as it sounds, I will turn 46, and that's how midlife crisis manifested:scratch)
cleaning a space in the garage, and figuring what to do next.........
The plan is (after I get it registered, and me permitted) to go for a short ride, to see if anything bothers me, then while hot, change the oil. I would think all the fluids better be changed too.
Advice on the
- tool kit, - motor, trans oil, - braking fluid, - spark plugs and cables, - what else?
is greatly appreciated.
I expect to do all the work myself (I have some experience from my youth days), as working on the bike is big part of the fun. I would not put a lot miles on the bike (suburban life with wife and two kids takes a lot of free time), and I tend to keep my stuff for a long time, as I value mechanical workings over the appearance.

Welcome. These 1100R/RS/RT/GS bikes are wonderful rides, especially when you are willing to do the wrenching yourself. Do as much reading and research that you can, then ask the questions that you can’t find answers for. Try to avoid the “which oil” and “which tires” questions. There are several excellent documents out there that will provide you with great instructions. Try ibmwr dot org and go to the Oilhead R-bike tech articles section. Download the two files by Carl Kulow. R11xx tune up manual, and R11xx maintenance manual. Those will give you a good start. Ask questions.

Have you tried the low position of seat mount? There are three settings on front bumpers using two allen bolts to move the mount?

Yep.
Squeezed that all I can. The seat is at the lowest. That Corbin (it looks to me, at least) was made a bit more comfortable to seat on, but it is a touch higher, wider, and, wasn't there supposed to be some kind of storage compartment under the rear seat? What I've got is just seat over the rear wheel.

Welcome!

I bought a 98 R1100r last July, and it's a fine motorcycle.
I have adjusted the valves, synced the throttle bodies, installed new brake lines, replaced the rear brake pads, installed a rewired HES sensor, adjusted the clutch and fast idle cables, and changed fluids.
There are a lot of more experienced people on this forum to guide you, but I have found the motorcycle to be a pleasure to work on myself.
I love cruising down the highway at 4,000 rpm, and it does too!

I get the "don't ask which oil ".
Still, I do believe in the power of a crowd's opinion. (some call it democracy!).
So if somebody has an issue with a brand A, (negative review, so to say), I'd rather learn from other peoples' experiences. The approach is compromised on the most big platforms (take your pick, big e-retailers or representative governments... are skewed by either big mouths or big $$).
But on a more of a niche topics, like, say, a small group of crazies riding an oil-cooled boxer....
What is the problem with the brake lines?
Is it the general "over 20 year old, better replace all them rubber " or the brake lines in particular?

On a better note, had the registration and permit today, and had a nice slow ride around the neighborhood...
So far, no regrets!

The brake hoses? It’s not just that they’re around 20 years old. Those OEM hoses are deteriorating inside and out. The outer failures are either straight ruptures, or weak walls that balloon. The inner failure is worse because it sheds off bits of the hose lining and then they’re deposited into the caliper or into the ABS module.

Yep.
Squeezed that all I can. The seat is at the lowest. That Corbin (it looks to me, at least) was made a bit more comfortable to seat on, but it is a touch higher, wider, and, wasn't there supposed to be some kind of storage compartment under the rear seat? What I've got is just seat over the rear wheel.

Our stock rear seat has a place for the owners manual...not much room for anything else I recall. The stock riders seat is wider than most modern models...reminds me more of a saddle than the padded narrow board on the later Roadsters.

I am sending a PM your way, look at top banner for notification :wave

Back