• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New BMW Riding Gear

D

DZIMBRIC

I have a Rally Suit, and Atlantis II suit, a Savannah II jacket and a Santiago suit.

I shopped all of these items, took advantge of close-outs and purchased all for well under list.

When the crotch ripped out of my Savannah II pants last spring I called the dealer I purchased the pants from for help. They could not get another pair of gray Savannah II pants in my size so they sent me a new Santiago suit, the whole thing, including liners, to make up for not being able to replace the pants. That is customer service, thank you BMW Motorcycles of Cherry Hill.

The Savannah is cool in the summer but not as cool as my Rally suit. But is a lot more abrasion resistant. When it is cool out nothing beats a good set of waterproof leathers.

My all around combination has been the Savannah II suiit and a one piece BMW rainsuit. When it rains or gets cold, or both I wear the rainsuit over my Savannah II pants and put the jacket on over the rainsuit with the liners.

Last fall I got chased by a hurricane from Arkansas to Indiana. Nothing was dry, my gloves were soaked, the waterproof GS tankbag was soaked and I had water in my goretex boots. I was damp all the way to the skin. With the temperatures dropping I had to visit my next door neoighbors son at his college dorm in Indianapolis to use the dryer to dry out. Even the inside of my Jesse bags were wet. Nothing is waterproof if you ride in enough rain fast enough and long enough.

I wore the Savanah with the rainsuit and Gerbings last February when I rode out to Phoenix from Indiana. Chilly ride but it kept me warm enough for the trip.

Just my .02 The yellow or the blue have not faded, red is a tough color.

BMW Gear VS. ...

I did about as much research as possible on gear and ended up going with Dainese for a winter suit and new Olympia mesh suit for summer. Nobody makes gear that can go from 30 to 110 degrees comfortably. The Dainese back protecter and armor is far more substantial than anything I have seen from BMW, or others. Their top of the line touring jacket is about the same price as the Santiago, but you get Gore Tex XTC which is much more breathable than regular Gore Tex. In my opinion, the BMW gear is very nice, but not the best available and way over priced. For instance, you can by Oxtar Matrix Gore Tex Boot for $100.00 cheaper than BMW's Contour touring boot. Oxtar makes both boots, but their own model has better shin and ankle protection. For high end alternatives, check out Rev'it, Rukka and Clover, and for cheaper alternatives, check out Olympia, Hein Gericke, and Belstaff.
As for the Aerostich, lot's of people love them, but for me the styling makes people look like they are wearing a bag, and their is much better value for your money out their.

Last edited:
bmwdean said:
I agree BMW riding gear is good (so is Motoport's). But it doesn't fade? Sorry. You should see my Rallye II jacket. When I bought it, it was a nice red. Now it is a faint orange!

Well, I can only say that none of mine have faded, nor any that I have seen (been to rallies, large gatherings, etc.)

Obviously fade potential exists because yours has faded. I'd also concede, Jeff, that you've ridden a lot more miles and owned many more riding suits than I. I'd also point out that the Arizona sun fades pavement!

It seems red is a troublesome color for BMW, 'Stitch, and other brands. I had a red '86 Honda CRX. Painted it twice; faded both times.

That's why I stick (largely) to black and grey.

MrsKbasa said:
I love the BMW gear too, but because I can get it to fit and still look like a woman (I know most of you don't have this issue).

Don't be so sure. . . . :boldpurpl

bmwgs94 said:
Which club are we talking about ? lol...Thanks for the well wishes. Just celebrated 5 years of being an MOA member

The "club" of those of us who have hit deer.

jgbass said:
I did about as much research as possible on gear and ended up going with Dianese for a winter suit and new Olympia mesh suit for summer. Nobody makes gear that can go from 30 to 110 degrees comfortably. The Dianese back protecter and armor is far more substantial than anything I have seen from BMW, or others. Their top of the line touring jacket is about the same price as the Santiago, but you get Gore Tex XTC which is much more breathable than regular Gore Tex. In my opinion, the BMW gear is very nice, but not the best available and way over priced. For instance, you can by Oxtar Matrix Gore Tex Boot for $100.00 cheaper than BMW's Contour touring boot. Oxtar makes both boots, but their own model has better shin and ankle protection. For high end alternatives, check out Rukka and Clover, and for cheaper alternatives, check out Olympia, Hein Gericke, and Belstaff.
As for the Aerostich, lot's of people love them, but for me the styling makes people look like they are wearing a bag, and their is much better value for your money out their.

BMW just announced the availability of their new Streetgard II suit. It has the Goretex -XCR and also the COOL technology which prevents the sun from heating up the fabric. Made of Armacor and Cordura. The point they are trying to make is that it is a four season suit. Waterproof ventilation zippers in the arms. Comes in black and stone-grey. Lists for $750 jacket and $525 pants. The jacket and pants come each with a removeable thermal warm liner. Protectors include hips, knees (adjustable height), shoulders, elbows, and back. Zips together. Looks nice.

Might as well lob in my .02 here too...Bought a Rukka 2 piece suit in red and black back in 1999 for my trip to Alaska, Lake Tahoe, Grand Canyon, 4 corners, Wisconson, home to Ontario.
Watched my riding buddy do the 'totes dance' a 'hunert times...got boring. I was in the bike store just today looking at the new Rukka's and wishing mine would wear out, fade, anything besides hitting 2 deer so I could rationalize a new suit :dunno ...

Just can't seem to wear the bugger out. Even commuting all summer, to the tune of about 45,000kms per. I can leave for work at 0400 in the fog and mist, 5-10 degrees C. Come home in the sunshine at 30C. No problem.

Love it, love it, love it.

Jim

I ride all year in the Seattle area & have found my Savanna II suit to be the best suit I have tried to date. Keeping in mind on he coldest days I use my GerbingÔÇÖs electric jacket liner. So far after 1.5 years my red jacket has not faded all that much.

I also wash my Savanna II suit 3-4 times a year with Nikwax Tech Wash detergent & then treat it with Nikwax TX-Direct Waterproofing. This gives me a little more water proofing that just the Gore-Tex liners alone.

I also prefer the shady side of the iceberg. So what I consider comfortable you may think is quite cool/cold.

In our PNW really hot 80+ days in the summer I wear a Firstgear mesh jacket & pants. That suit keeps me pretty cool.

Last edited:
Rinty, I should get you to pick up a set for me while you're there. ;)

I have been seriously considering (very seriously) the Streetguard 2 as my next suit. I priced it out yesterday at a couple of Canadian dealers. The jacket is $1207, the pants $835. with GST on top it comes close to $2200 Cdn. :doh I'm just trying to wrap my mind around spending that much for a suit, but it sure looks like one heck of a suit. Our fine local dealer doesn't have it in stock and won't, so it would be special order from them. Then if it doesn't fit right, try and try again. I called John Valk in Vancouver, they stock it, but that means a trip out there plus paying BC provincial tax. What to do, what to do. :dunno :dunno

Mine not mentioned!

I ride with"First Gear" Kilimanjaro jacket and it has never failed me after about 8 years now. I would not hesitate to get another one, if this one EVER wears out. Still waterproof. Anybody that buys as many suits as some have mentioned here certainly has issues with the suits, or just cant be happy with one. I owned some earlier BMW suits and would "not" get another, because for the most part, they don't know how to make it waterproof without undressing and putting a liner in. Who needs this? I don't want to stop and take my suit apart to get watertight. I just went to BMW apparel showing and they still do the same thing,argggg! I do think,however, the BMW stuff is well put together. Just don't get caught in rain, without some time spent alongside the road to re-suit yourself...My First Gear(Waterproof) has always been a great coat and vents well to 85/90 degrees and then, off it comes for lighter stuff. I still wear leather pants(old school) and water is issue with these, but rain pants slip on quickly. The leather will do fairly well in lighter rain, without any issue. I treat the leather with Scotchguard, sold at most hardware stores or Wallmart. The Scotchguard people actually make the stuff for leather!

I use the Killi II and a full BMW rain shell (packs small).

The Killi is waterproof but hot, since the shell is waterproof (unlike the shell being waterproof). Killi kept my top dry in 12+hrs of rain. First Gear really made an effort to keep the jacket dry at the cost of venting (vents are difficult to open). I don't bother with them, I close the collar and open the zipper for venting - with a small fairing, I get plenty of air.

What I need is the phase change long john underpants from BMW, to keep the jewelery warm. Anyone have experience with these?

Good point on the Kilimanjaro. I use one for two full year riding almost every day. The Gore-Tex broke down in mine & it started to leak. The dealer told me the jacket needed to be cleaned more often. Small particles of dirt & grime from the road get forced through the fabric & it starts to loose it water resistance.

I think for the money the Kilimanjaro is a great jacket. I wish I had taken better care of mine. But ultimately I needed a more versatile system & as mentioned before the Kilimanjaro is too ot in the summer weather.

Polarbear said:
I ride with"First Gear" Kilimanjaro jacket and it has never failed me after about 8 years now. I would not hesitate to get another one, if this one EVER wears out. Still waterproof. Anybody that buys as many suits as some have mentioned here certainly has issues with the suits, or just cant be happy with one. I owned some earlier BMW suits and would "not" get another, because for the most part, they don't know how to make it waterproof without undressing and putting a liner in. Who needs this? I don't want to stop and take my suit apart to get watertight. I just went to BMW apparel showing and they still do the same thing,argggg! I do think,however, the BMW stuff is well put together. Just don't get caught in rain, without some time spent alongside the road to re-suit yourself...My First Gear(Waterproof) has always been a great coat and vents well to 85/90 degrees and then, off it comes for lighter stuff. I still wear leather pants(old school) and water is issue with these, but rain pants slip on quickly. The leather will do fairly well in lighter rain, without any issue. I treat the leather with Scotchguard, sold at most hardware stores or Wallmart. The Scotchguard people actually make the stuff for leather!

I too have been using a Kilamanjaro jacket and pants for the past eight years. Whille it has been a good suit, there are a few things that I don't like about it, enough to make me look elsewhere. I like the waterproof qualities it had (not any more as the liner is shot), but it does not breath and is terribly hot in the summer. The venting is mediocre as you can't get them to stay open effectively, and that only helps if youre moving at a decent speed anyway. I don't want the hassle of having to pack multiple suits for a ride. I both tour and commute with my bike. When touring, I travel light and space is premium. Commuting means temperature changes from near freezing in the mornings to hot in the afternoon (Canada weather :rolleyes). I also don't like the idea of a suit that is waterproofed on the inside layer, which is why I like the Streetguard 2. My understanding is that it has the Goretex as the outer shell not the liner. Otherwise I would steer away from it too.

I learned from my local dealer today that Savanna II has been discontinued. The Santiago series is replacing the Savanna because it is made from the same material.

Now having said that, I am re-reading all the previous posts. Most of my riding is done in late spring, summer and fall. I want to stay cool but protected. If it rains, then I want to stay dry. Furthermore, I want to wear Dockers and decent shirt under this, because I will be using my bike in my busisness.

Now what? What do you seasoned veterans recommend to the newbie?

Ultracyclist

ps I have a Kili jacket. I hate it. Fits awful.

if this were a ride report or bike report thread, there would be some pics.

i haven't shopped suits at all, but just bought a pair of the bmw summer riding pants. i'd be curious to see what the suits yr talking about actually look like. would be a better product description than reading off of a store front.

that's right, it's time to buy a new jacket :clap

ultracyclist said:
I learned from my local dealer today that Savanna II has been discontinued. The Santiago series is replacing the Savanna because it is made from the same material.

Now having said that, I am re-reading all the previous posts. Most of my riding is done in late spring, summer and fall. I want to stay cool but protected. If it rains, then I want to stay dry. Furthermore, I want to wear Dockers and decent shirt under this, because I will be using my bike in my business.

Now what? What do you seasoned veterans recommend to the newbie?

Ultracyclist

ps I have a Kili jacket. I hate it. Fits awful.
I wear jeans or Dockers under my Savanna II pants every day. I recommend the wrinkle resistant Dockers

enjine said:
if this were a ride report or bike report thread, there would be some pics.

i haven't shopped suits at all, but just bought a pair of the bmw summer riding pants. i'd be curious to see what the suits yr talking about actually look like. would be a better product description than reading off of a store front.

that's right, it's time to buy a new jacket :clap
How about these shots of the Savanna II suit in action.

16293363-M.jpg

16293356-M.jpg

16293354-M.jpg

Back