• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

New 2022 R1250RT minus radio question

Illiya

Hello All. I ordered a new 2022RT last week without a radio. I am not interested in listening to a radio while on the bike, and this will also save me some money. But my question to all of you is, is the radio (Listening to music, news, and talk shows, etc.) the only function I will not have on the bike? I still want to have the ability to use the full navigation and telephone benefits the TFT will allow. Thank you for your answers.

My understanding is yes also. However I am having amplifier module (radio) added to the already installed Audio Prep Kit. The cost is $510.00 and BMW picks up the labor cost which includes an hour of software download. I don’t listen to radio much however when selling or trading, it opens up an additional market segment.

Yes, I picked up my 2022 R1250RT just a few days ago. All other functions in the TFT are fully functional. I have the Audio Prep as an option. My previous RT had the full audio system from the factory, but I never used it. I just put my smartphone into the charging tray and listen to either my own playlists or Siruis XM. Meanwhile, I still receive turn-by-turn information from the GPS and other functions within the TFT.

Honestly, I was concerned that I might lose some functionality, but I haven't discovered any at this point.

I don't often use mine, but when I ordered it (2018) I was thinking about resale some 10+ years from then, so added the radio. JMO

I don't often use mine, but when I ordered it (2018) I was thinking about resale some 10+ years from then, so added the radio. JMO

I wonder if in ten years people will use radios? I think a loud radio coming into a gas station is one of the most obnoxious things a rider can do. I don’t like XM radio, which may possibly be another outdated technology. I have a helmet speakers system on my 2021 RT and I love listening to my Apple Music and the TFT GPS works great. I don’t have a radio on my RT and I like the clean look of the dash without the chrome jeweled speakers. Why spend an extra $1000 for something you will never use? Remember there are younger people out there! (Most don’t ride a motorcycle or drive a car for that matter so resale may be a moot point anyway.)

I wonder if in ten years people will use radios? I think a loud radio coming into a gas station is one of the most obnoxious things a rider can do. I don’t like XM radio, which may possibly be another outdated technology. I have a helmet speakers system on my 2021 RT and I love listening to my Apple Music and the TFT GPS works great. I don’t have a radio on my RT and I like the clean look of the dash without the chrome jeweled speakers. Why spend an extra $1000 for something you will never use? Remember there are younger people out there! (Most don’t ride a motorcycle or drive a car for that matter so resale may be a moot point anyway.)

I don't have Apple Music, is this a streaming service or download? I ask because you need an internet connection to stream, I ride in areas with poor or no internet, this is my reason for wanting XM as an option.

I don't have Apple Music, is this a streaming service or download? I ask because you need an internet connection to stream, I ride in areas with poor or no internet, this is my reason for wanting XM as an option.

Well my sons told me I needed to get with it and get one of the music apps. I did get Apple Music on the App Store on my Apple device. I pay a monthly premium for the service but it is great as I download all my favorite music at home using Wifi onto my phone. Once it is downloaded on my phone I need no internet, no phone service, etc., I can just play my music by opening the Apple Music App up on my phone before I start up the BMW app. Using the TFT display. I can open ENTERTAINMENT and then scroll through my artists, albums, playlists and choose what music I want to hear through my helmet speakers. I can do this even while riding. Only Apple Music, I believe, shows up on the TFT, my Amazon music won’t show. Remember to not add too many songs as the TFT can hold only so many songs. If you add too many albums, etc. they will not show on the TFT. Just go on Apple Music and delete some albums and songs until it shows up. I think 2000 songs may be all the TFT can hold, although I had to add somewhat less. You can then delete old songs and add new ones as you like.

I ordered that radio and I am looking at alternative mounts for a Garmin XT.
I’m one of those people that use my phone as a phone, not a mini computer.
More importantly, at least to me is I like exploring new music. XM works great for that. If I like a song then I’ll purchase it for my library.
I struggle with the compressed music from streaming. I know it occurs with satellite but seems better sounding

I picked up a new 2021 RT with premium package this morning. It has the audio prep kit. In the menus of the TFT there is no “radio” yet I’m told that the bike has Sirius. I have a Sirius subscription from my old ‘14 RT but I don’t know how to get it on the new one. What am I missing?

I picked up a new 2021 RT with premium package this morning. It has the audio prep kit. In the menus of the TFT there is no “radio” yet I’m told that the bike has Sirius. I have a Sirius subscription from my old ‘14 RT but I don’t know how to get it on the new one. What am I missing?

Audio prep kit is only the speakers, wiring and antennas for the radio. You also need the radio, which is installed under the passenger seat. BMW had a reduced price offer for RT's that shipped without the radio along with free installation - check with your dealer to see if yours qualifies. I paid $500 for the radio in my '22 RT.

If you actually have the radio, then you might just be missing the software update that enables it.

Hello All. I ordered a new 2022RT last week without a radio. I am not interested in listening to a radio while on the bike, and this will also save me some money. But my question to all of you is, is the radio (Listening to music, news, and talk shows, etc.) the only function I will not have on the bike? I still want to have the ability to use the full navigation and telephone benefits the TFT will allow. Thank you for your answers.

I received my 22 RT this June. I had ordered it without the radio. My phone is a Samsung S9 and I use a Cardo headset. Through the TFT I can stream music, see the playlist, and start and pause the music. I can only control the volume through the Cardo. I cannot control the volume through the wonder wheel although I have been told that the top Sena headset will work with the wonder wheel.

I cannot receive navigation voice commands. I have not been able to figure this out. Phone calls work as it should.

A positive thing is that I can store my Stop and Go tire repair kit in one speaker hole and a tool kit in the other, which frees up my tankbag for other miscellaneous stuff.

Jono seems to have had good luck getting the TFT sorted, but he uses an Appe phone and a Sena headset. I believe my Samsung and Cardo may cause some of my problems.

My understanding is yes also. However I am having amplifier module (radio) added to the already installed Audio Prep Kit. The cost is $510.00 and BMW picks up the labor cost which includes an hour of software download. I don’t listen to radio much however when selling or trading, it opens up an additional market segment.
Agreed. I'd never buy a touring bike without a radio. That was why I waited to get my 2022 R1250RT (like a year and a half or more) until March 2022 when they were shipping them with all radios and speakers installed. ...but the radio is nice as is streaming it to your helmet via bluetooth.

Steve

I ordered that radio and I am looking at alternative mounts for a Garmin XT.
I’m one of those people that use my phone as a phone, not a mini computer.
More importantly, at least to me is I like exploring new music. XM works great for that. If I like a song then I’ll purchase it for my library.
I struggle with the compressed music from streaming. I know it occurs with satellite but seems better sounding

+1 exactly as you stated. I do not attach my phone to my bikes period. I use the radio on my RT to listen to my music on my iPod or XM. I like those options when on long trips across this great country. I use my phone for calls and texts whenever I stop. Less distractions = safer rides.

Oh and I can get navigation prompts via the RT's speakers and I can control my iPod through the bike as well. But I have a '16 RT without the big TFT.

Back