• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need recommendation for new windscreen on 1200 RT

moralem

I traveled to Alaska a couple of weeks back and the windscreen took the brunt of bugs, birds and boulders.....ok maybe not boulders but huge gravel or what we call here in Texas, white rock. I am in need of replacing the stock screen and was hoping to get some recommendations on which offer the best clarity and look. The size of the stock windscreen worked well for me so I don't need a bigger one that makes the bike look ungainly but I am open to suggestions on which size to consider. The windscreen kept me very dry in downpours and overall I was happy with the stock screen's performance but want to see what you all think regarding the aftermarket options......and I am still working on my ride report on how to post up pictures that don't invert when I post the up. Working from the IPad might have something to do with it but will keep trying.

I have a cee baileys oversized. Works great for me. If you really like the stock, I bet you can get one cheap. I have a completely unused one that is sitting in a box in my garage. Never thought of selling it, but can't see me ever using it.

A windshield thread is like a seat or oil thread. Everyone likes what they use for different reasons and thinks what the have is the best on the planet. Like an aftermarket seat, a windshield is going to be a whatever fits you best farkle. I personally use a large V-Stream and like it very much. For me it's very quiet and has very little buffeting. Several of my riding buddies use a Cal Sci and think that they're better than sliced bread. Another buddy uses a Cee Baileys and likes it as well.
If at all possible I would suggest that you try and test ride a couple of bikes with different wind screens before you lay out cash for a new windshield. There are a myriad of widths and heights available, and you're not really going to know what's best for you unless you can try them out.

Doug

Shields for RT

I traveled to Alaska a couple of weeks back and the windscreen took the brunt of bugs, birds and boulders.....ok maybe not boulders but huge gravel or what we call here in Texas, white rock. I am in need of replacing the stock screen and was hoping to get some recommendations on which offer the best clarity and look. The size of the stock windscreen worked well for me so I don't need a bigger one that makes the bike look ungainly but I am open to suggestions on which size to consider. The windscreen kept me very dry in downpours and overall I was happy with the stock screen's performance but want to see what you all think regarding the aftermarket options......and I am still working on my ride report on how to post up pictures that don't invert when I post the up. Working from the IPad might have something to do with it but will keep trying.

I use a standard height Cee Bailey on my 2010 with Comfort seat. I like the kick up on the shield that lets me run with my visor up on the highway and still see over the shield in still air at highway speeds. With it fully down I get a nice breeze in my face in town. I have my original shield with 9k on it and a +1 Cee Bailey that fits 05-09.

A windshield thread is like a seat or oil thread. Everyone likes what they use for different reasons and thinks what the have is the best on the planet. Like an aftermarket seat, a windshield is going to be a whatever fits you best farkle. I personally use a large V-Stream and like it very much. For me it's very quiet and has very little buffeting. Several of my riding buddies use a Cal Sci and think that they're better than sliced bread. Another buddy uses a Cee Baileys and likes it as well.
If at all possible I would suggest that you try and test ride a couple of bikes with different wind screens before you lay out cash for a new windshield. There are a myriad of widths and heights available, and you're not really going to know what's best for you unless you can try them out.

Doug
I am beginning to see your point. I don't like the looks of the Cal Sci or the Aeroflow. I do like the looks of the Cee Bailey and the VStream and like that the VStream is made out of polycarbonate versus acrylic. Nothing against acrylic but my wife has multiple pairs of glasses with polycarbonate lens and their resistance to scratches is amazing based on what I have seen her do to them.

Back