• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Need a recommendation for the best ADV boot

louiespeciale

Hi everyone,

Just curious, what high boot are you using and do you recommended them? I'm currently riding a 2023 R1250GS with the enduro footpegs and keep hitting my shin. I don't ride off road that often but would like some type of protection. Any suggestions would be much appreciated.

Daytona GTX. Not really an offroad boot, but I believe they make more dirt biased if that's what you'd like. It's nearly as high as the motocross boots that I used to wear racing. Comfortable and extremely high quality.

I wear Alpinestars Tech 7's only KTM's and my pants are long enough to keep the water out in the rain. Alpinestars has a new boot aimed at ADV being fully waterproof with the same level of protection. They look really good, sorry I forget the name.

My other main boots are old Aerostitch Combat Boots the were made by Sidi that are a lovely full leather boot with decent protection and a low toe that fits nicely on my street bikes.

Alpinstars have held-up well, but their new models are shorter in height. Another means of shrinkflation for the consumer.

I typically put on my Daytona Roadstar GTX when I know I will be on pavement. Most confortable boots I own. If I know I will be on dirt/gravel/light sand (just did a 45 miles road of that last week) I wear my Sidi Adventure 2 GTX as they have far better ankle and shin protection and are about 4ā€ taller.

Rev'it Expedition GTX Boots: Very comfortable; very protective. They perfectly overlap and grab the bottom of my Asterisk Carbon Cell 1 Knee Braces.

They're $900 in the US; I got them two years ago from Chromeburner.com in the Netherlands for $566.41 including shipping. Chromeburner has only limited sizes now, but point being: Check Europe for prices before you buy anything expensive here in the US. The delta can be shocking.

P.S. I currently have 24,686 miles on my 2022 G310GS and my Rev'it Expedition GTX Boots.
In 2022, I rode 11,553 miles. this included the Smoky Mountain 500 in NC, TN, & GA; a curvy road run with some off-road from Hendersonville, NC, to Springfield, MO, for the BMW MOA National Rally; a mixed on/off-road run from there to Cape Breton, Nova Scotia via the Northeast Backcountry Discovery Route (BDR).
In 2023, I rode 13,133 miles on my 2022 G310GS with my MM R80. This included the Death Valley Noobs Rally in California; the April Fools Adventure Rally in Ohio; an east coast run that included the Mid-Atlantic BDR, the Pennsylvania BDR-X, the Trans America Trail (TAT) Atlantic Spur from the Appalachian Mountains to Cape Hatteras, NC, and the 2023 BMW MOA National Rally in Richmond, VA (where I did a seminar on my 310 mods); a mostly off-road TAT run from Hot Springs, NC, to Port Orford, OR, a mostly off-road run on the TAT Minnesota Spur and the Black Hills BDR-X, and a curvy road run from Wisconsin back to Hendersonville, NC.
This year I'll be doing as many BDR's as I can going to and from the BMW National in Oregon.

Picture is after doing the MABDR, PABDR-X, and the Trans America Trail Atlantic Spur before heading into the BMW Rally in Richmond, VA.

Cape Hateras.jpg

Rev'it Expedition GTX Boots: Very comfortable; very protective. They perfectly overlap and grab the bottom of my Asterisk Carbon Cell 1 Knee Braces.

They're $900 in the US; I got them two years ago from Chromeburner.com in the Netherlands for $566.41 including shipping. Chromeburner has only limited sizes now, but point being: Check Europe for prices before you buy anything expensive here in the US. The delta can be shocking.
Same with Daytona boots. Selection I'm thr Netherlands is much better for all Daytona models, and the shipped price is way less than what people sell them for used in the US. To see the full savings, you have to go through most of the settlement, as they remove the VAT once they know they are shipping to the US. I got a 20% off Black Friday deal on mine too.

I've had a couple pairs of Alpinestars Toucans and have been happy with them. On my road bikes I use Daytona Road Star GTXs.

Daytona GTX for highway riding and Sidi Crossfire for off road riding.

Don't make the mistake of thinking your highway boots will suffice for off road riding...they won't. Off road boots are built burly to protect your feet and ankles. However, if you never take your GSA off road, then a boot like the Sidi will be too stiff for highway shifting and braking.

Just curious what model Gaerne are you using? I have been considering the Balance Oiled based on the great reviews.
Kinda hard to fathom, Mr GS. They're pretty tall with three snap-clamps; the back of the boot says NOVOGAR vertically; the velcro tab on top is labeled RAGE.

Back