• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Nav V with bluetooth enable '17 bike.

patm

I'm confused. My '16 RT doesn't have have the audio system. It doesn't have bluetooth.
It does have the navigation package.
I have the Nav V paired to my Scala G9X and to my cell phone. I rarely use the cell when on the bike.
My G9X is paired to my wife's scala G9. I don't usually listen to any music, just my wife's comments and the GPS prompts. She rides her own bike so no issue with music sharing.
It all works fine most of the time, nothing that can't be fixed in a few minutes.

This summer, I will be renting a '17 RT that has the audio package and bluetooth. I will be using my Nav V on it. My wife will be riding pillion.
Will my setup work as is or will I have to figure out how to use the bike's bluetooth? I have read lots of discussions, here and on other sites and can't figure out the best way about it. Since I won't have access to the bike until my trip starts, I can't test it.

From what I read, the bike's bluetooth will break my setup. Is this correct or there is a workaround?
Will I have to unpair everything and then start over?
This is where I get confused. What to do to get everything to work?
Some say pair helmet 1 to the bike but not helmet 2?
How do I keep my wife happy and keep the GPS and cell working?

Thanks

I'm confused. My '16 RT doesn't have have the audio system. It doesn't have bluetooth.
It does have the navigation package.
I have the Nav V paired to my Scala G9X and to my cell phone. I rarely use the cell when on the bike.
My G9X is paired to my wife's scala G9. I don't usually listen to any music, just my wife's comments and the GPS prompts. She rides her own bike so no issue with music sharing.
It all works fine most of the time, nothing that can't be fixed in a few minutes.

This summer, I will be renting a '17 RT that has the audio package and bluetooth. I will be using my Nav V on it. My wife will be riding pillion.
Will my setup work as is or will I have to figure out how to use the bike's bluetooth? I have read lots of discussions, here and on other sites and can't figure out the best way about it. Since I won't have access to the bike until my trip starts, I can't test it.

From what I read, the bike's bluetooth will break my setup. Is this correct or there is a workaround?
Will I have to unpair everything and then start over?
This is where I get confused. What to do to get everything to work?
Some say pair helmet 1 to the bike but not helmet 2?
How do I keep my wife happy and keep the GPS and cell working?

Thanks

One possible option would be to rent an R1200GS; it does not have an audio system and your current setup would definitely work as is.

'16 1200RT with audio system, Nav V, iPhone 6S, and two Schuberth SRC System Pros

Welcome to interconnectivity purgatory! <grin> Don't worry too much, there are a variety of solutions for your anticipated setup. I just upgraded to '16 R1200RT last Fall and had to figure out how to get everything talking. Here's one solution that may give you insight:

Clear BT pairing on helmets
Clear BT pairing on bike
Pair bike "Helmet 1" to your helmet BT music channel (Long press on "+" for Schuberth SRC Pro)
Pair Nav V to your helmet BT GPS channel (Long press on "-" followed by short press on "+" for Schuberth SRC Pro)
Pair Nav V to your iPhone BT
Pair your helmet to your wife's helmet on BT intercom channel (Long press on ">))" for Schuberth SRC Pro for Channel A)

With this set up, I get the GPS instructions, I can listen to bike audio and forward audio to my wife's helmet (Long press on "+" to share music)
I can send/receive phone calls from my phone.
We have our intercom set up for VOX which overrides bike audio.
I set Nav V GPS to mute while chatting with wife so that turn instructions don't override her comments.

I found this video from Richard Battles very helpful in solving my particular scenario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElxL_NZN-w&list=WL&index=11

As I've played with various configurations, I've had to redo, alter, experiment to get the system work. But, it's less intimidating that some of the posts might lead you to believe. When you work on setting up your system, the key is to try one thing at a time, change only one variable at a time, and then, once it works, add the next piece.

Welcome to interconnectivity purgatory! <grin> Don't worry too much, there are a variety of solutions for your anticipated setup. I just upgraded to '16 R1200RT last Fall and had to figure out how to get everything talking. Here's one solution that may give you insight:

Clear BT pairing on helmets
Clear BT pairing on bike
Pair bike "Helmet 1" to your helmet BT music channel (Long press on "+" for Schuberth SRC Pro)
Pair Nav V to your helmet BT GPS channel (Long press on "-" followed by short press on "+" for Schuberth SRC Pro)
Pair Nav V to your iPhone BT
Pair your helmet to your wife's helmet on BT intercom channel (Long press on ">))" for Schuberth SRC Pro for Channel A)

With this set up, I get the GPS instructions, I can listen to bike audio and forward audio to my wife's helmet (Long press on "+" to share music)
I can send/receive phone calls from my phone.
We have our intercom set up for VOX which overrides bike audio.
I set Nav V GPS to mute while chatting with wife so that turn instructions don't override her comments.

I found this video from Richard Battles very helpful in solving my particular scenario:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fElxL_NZN-w&list=WL&index=11

As I've played with various configurations, I've had to redo, alter, experiment to get the system work. But, it's less intimidating that some of the posts might lead you to believe. When you work on setting up your system, the key is to try one thing at a time, change only one variable at a time, and then, once it works, add the next piece.

Thanks!

From what I can gather from talking to people about the virtues of the Audio and BT packages, they work great, but are what you have seems to fit your needs. Why change it?
If you are using your helmets and Nav5 you should be fine if you disable it and keep your BT setup isolated from the bikes Audio and BT systems.
However, if you want to utilize the bikes capabilities and want full integration, then you have to do as JBBLI suggests and pair as per the instructions. You would then have to repair it once again when you return home to resume normal activities.

From what I can gather from talking to people about the virtues of the Audio and BT packages, they work great, but are what you have seems to fit your needs. Why change it?
If you are using your helmets and Nav5 you should be fine if you disable it and keep your BT setup isolated from the bikes Audio and BT systems.
However, if you want to utilize the bikes capabilities and want full integration, then you have to do as JBBLI suggests and pair as per the instructions. You would then have to repair it once again when you return home to resume normal activities.
My understanding is that when you insert the Nav V on the bike, the bike's bluetooth takes over. Is this correct?
Is there a way to disable the bluetooth on the bike?

Thanks

My understanding is that when you insert the Nav V on the bike, the bike's bluetooth takes over. Is this correct?
Is there a way to disable the bluetooth on the bike?

Thanks

Yes you can disable the bluetooth on the Nav V, from the main menu push setting you'll see it. You could also not pair the device with the Nav V

Jay

Ok, I got hold of the audio system manual and got some of my questions answered.

- Bluetooth on the bike can be disabled if I leave the speakers on.
- I can still pair my helmet with the Nav V
- I can pair my helmet to the bike if I want to but not the passenger's.
- Both helmets can be paired directly.
- Cell phone still pairs with the Nav V.

In the following pic, I could do steps 1 - 3 - 4 - 5 and 6.

2017-05-21 18_07_50-K_0601_RM_0714_01.pdf - Adobe Acrobat Reader DC.png

So if correct, my assumption that the bike took over the bluetooth was incorrect.
Right?

Thanks

I do not have anything paired the bikes audio system. 2016 RT. My Nav V is paired to my phone. My phone is paired to my Packtalk. My Packtalk is paired to my wife's & my riding buddies. Everything works just fine for me. I hardly ever listen to music while riding. If I do I can use the bikes external speakers or listen to music through my phone. The Nav V still works with the wonder wheel. It also sets the bikes clock & range to empty shows on the GPS from the bike.

I do not have anything paired the bikes audio system. 2016 RT. My Nav V is paired to my phone. My phone is paired to my Packtalk. My Packtalk is paired to my wife's & my riding buddies. Everything works just fine for me. I hardly ever listen to music while riding. If I do I can use the bikes external speakers or listen to music through my phone. The Nav V still works with the wonder wheel. It also sets the bikes clock & range to empty shows on the GPS from the bike.

Don't think I have seen the range to empty on my 015 RT. Where should I look for it?

Thanks!

Touch "speed" on the map page and it will bring up an information page with speed, max speed, distances & range to empty.

Those values aren't coming from the bike. They are values entered into the GPS based on distance per tank set in Fuel Gauge Settings, helpful but not real time as found in the menu of the bike.

Jay

Those values aren't coming from the bike. They are values entered into the GPS based on distance per tank set in Fuel Gauge Settings, helpful but not real time as found in the menu of the bike.

Jay

My range to empty is always exactly what the bike computer shows. How else could they always match??????? My older Zumo's needed the estimated range entered.

Quote from my BMW owners manual:

"Reserve fuel level warning

The settings for the fuel gauge
allow you to define a distance
that is covered per tankful of fuel.
The motorcycle transmits the
figure for residual travel range
on the fuel remaining in the tank
to the Navigator GPS receiver,
rendering manual entry of this
information redundant."

My range to empty is always exactly what the bike computer shows. How else could they always match??????? My older Zumo's needed the estimated range entered.

information redundant."
I had to go out and try it. I learned something new today

information redundant."

Wow this is news to me, I'll give it a try. I've not used this future in the past because I felt I would have the same result as with my Zumo 550, my bad.

Jay

Wow this is news to me, I'll give it a try. I've not used this future in the past because I felt I would have the same result as with my Zumo 550, my bad.

Jay

I/ve read there is a bike to Nav V data connection in LC bikes. Never seen any real tech description but this might be the result. The RT Nav V does not display all the bike data that a GS does, but tere is this, it seems.

I wish there was a person who would "leak" some of these mysteries!

Back