• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

my thoughts on the future of BMW and BMW MOA

yeahbutt, you are old. in speaking with many of our desired member prospects, it's clear that all-out riding distance isn't as appealing to them as it is to us.

Everyone starts somewhere.

:wow

Voni
sMiling

When younger my Pop said "lots of riding time when you retire". Today the hope of retirement seems fleeting..

Today is GIFT. Tomorrow MYSTERY!

What no heritage?

I have been a BMW enthusiast since May of 1972. That was when the air was clean and sex was dirty. I started with a new R60/5. I bought it because of German craftmanship, reliability, longevity and value. I had no knowledge of the heritage of BMW Motorrad.
I was a college student and needed reliable transport. I rode it everyday the roads were not icy or snowy. Naked bike . . . 25 years old and immortal.
Fast forward to 2010. I was the lucky winner of the S1000RR in the Superbike Sweepstakes. The S bike is amazing. It is easy to ride, breathtakingly fast, beautifully built and the envy of every kid who knows bikes. There seems to be a disconnect with S bike riders. Very few posts appear. No one raving about their new ride.
Look at Bob's BMW at his "new owners" page. Many people have bought the S bike but probably for the reason that it is the fastest production m/c. . . . not MOA or heritage. There is a disconnect. These buyers don't care about the annual rally. They don't care about the long hiistory of BMW Motorrad. Just that the S bike is fast. They probably weren't told about the BMW MOA and its many benefits.
I have suggested to club administration that every dealer has a vested interest in promoting our group. It makes the BMW motorcycle a better value. It encourages cameraderie and new friends. It is a silent salesman for the marque.
If the dealers would hand an information packet with a recent copy of the ON to every (new or used ) buyer it would probably increase membership. Of course the club has to have something to offer a very diverse (and getting moreso) group of enthusiasts.
This is a great group. It is worth every $1.00 to be a member.
Campbell Tellman II
'93 R100RT
'11 S1000RR
:thumb

Snipped Quotes:
I have recommended that we perform a series of unaided focus groups to learn what's right and wrong with our brand, where a cross-section of customers get together and discuss their motorcycling lives and perceptions without the benefit of knowing just which brand is asking the questions.

The goal is to understand the perceptions, needs, wants and desires of the people we wish to join our family and then make any needed changes to our own "product, price, place, promotion and positioning."

Maybe we will do this, the BoD has a proposal in front of them right now. Money is tight, but personally and professionally, we could not be spending our money on *anything* more important....

Well, hopefully our BoD decides to do what's required. Anything less and we are just dealing with opinions about what's wrong and how to fix it.

Ian

When the sun finally goes supernova some time in the future no one will get extra credit for having money in the bank. Money is tight for everyone and we have to spend where it will do some good. I listened to the on line BoD meeting and the proposed research sounds to be a very necessary expense to assure a future.

yeahbutt, you are old. in speaking with many of our desired member prospects, it's clear that all-out riding distance isn't as appealing to them as it is to us.

recently, i was doing some recruiting at a local drag strip:...

interestingly, BMW pretty much positioned the S1000RR as an elite roadracer.

and what do them youngsters do with the damned thing? :gerg :burnout

shows what marketing people know! :ha

(when they don't talk with their customers first......)

BMW did conceive and position the S1000RR as a road racing WSBK bike. That was and continues to be its primary promotional/development focus. It has not preached a road racing orthodoxy rather has seized on other owner uses. Their various facebook walls national websites and other viral marketing efforts have been picking up on and using the drag racing Bonneville and other stories of how owners are using the model in their promotions.

They are not doing zero sum gain math rather they seem open to taking advantage of compounding interest as alternate owner uses are discovered. I hope we will do the same in the future.

Old? OLD? Listen here whipper snapper, I both rode and sold the first 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa in Connecticut (maybe that is where these grey hairs are coming from).

I am not old (only decrepit).

Last edited:
Old? OLD? Listen here whipper snapper, I both rode and sold the first 1999 Suzuki Hayabusa in Connecticut (maybe that is where these grey hairs are coming from).

I am not old (only decrepit).

You tell 'em, Steve! We're not old!

Best "old" line I ever heard was spoken by an elderly lady to her equally elderly husband, "The last time I felt old was when I felt you!":laugh

Tom

And, I, my parents' First child :brad

It's all in the marketing . . .

Voni
sMiling

I can see where the RT is too big for some and the F800 S/ST riding position too aggressive. I own both an RT and an F800ST and love both as they are for what they are.
Haven't changed anything on either as I think they are what they should be but for those looking to get an 800 RT I can see where the ST could get you close to the upright position with a few tweaks.

But instead of tweaking the bike I tweaked me and lost about 30 lbs and that changed the game. Now instead of laying on the bars in anything but an upright position I trained myself to use my stomach/back muscles and wind pressure to hold my riding position. Personally I think an upright riding position changes the COG of the F's but I guess whatever works for you, right?

Best "old" line I ever heard ...

Nah, the "best" is the following, and boy does it apply to so many BMW riders:
The older we get, the better we were.
A really accurate corollary comes from my favorite band, i.e. Dusty Drapes and the Dusters:
The drunker you get, the better we sound.
When we get old and our kids grow up, our kids ignore us. So does BMW. Threads like this appear to be for those that don't get that.

Back