• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

my thoughts on the future of BMW and BMW MOA

nytrashman

I think the future of both the BMW brand and the BMW MOA need to reach out to each other in order to not only survive these tough economic times but to thrive and grow over the next 5 + years.

I will start with the BMW brand:

I think BMW is missing a large segment of the market by not targeting the returning rider as well as the female rider. There are lots of people out there that stopped riding early in life due to work, family commitment etc. these people are now a bit older, perhaps approaching retirement and have some free time on there hands. The days of retiring and buying a big motor home to travel the country are pretty much over. Between the large initial financial out lay for the motor home there is the high cost of gas/diesel fuel & insurance. Buying that big boat to cruise around on is quickly loosing its appeal for the same reasons, large initial cash outlay as well as dock feeÔÇÖs, maintenance and rising fuel costs. A motorcycle on the other hand is relatively cheap, gets good fuel mileage and it doesnÔÇÖt cost an arm and a leg to insure.

The female rider is a segment long overlooked by many motorcycle manufactures. Woman today are just as inclined to want to spend there free time in pursuit of an activity that offers a low initial cash outlay, as well as the fun and excitement only riding a motorcycle can offer. Harley offers lots of various functions aimed solely at the female rider and I think BMW should follow suit and do the same thing. Offering free seminars showing woman how to work on there bikes as well as specific rides or events that are geared toward woman are just two examples of ways BMW can embrace and welcome the female riders out there.

So now you have the returning riders and the female riders interested in the BMW brand what bike should they buy? If BMW made a new 650 boxer designed for the returning rider/female rider at a low initial cost I think they would have a big hit on their hands. It would combine the retro look and feel of old without all the problems and pitfalls the older bikes had. look at the success Triumph is having with the new Bonneville. Of course the new BMW would have to be very reliable, the last thing a new rider wants is a bike that is constantly in the shop for repairs. That is a sure fire way to have them abandoning the brand and running straight to the nearest Harley dealership.

Speaking of dealerships BMW needs to expand its dealer network. Offering a nice new 650 boxer, or any other bike designed toward a new or returning rider may sound appealing to you but if the nearest dealer is 3 + hours away your not going to go and check it out, not when there is a dealership right down the street selling a brand that everyone recognizes, some friends and co-workers may ride and offers models geared toward the new or returning rider as well as the female rider. The cold hard reality is there are not enough BMW dealers in this county to make owning a BMW a viable option to most people.

Another bike I think BMW needs to develop is a mini RT, something along the lines of an 800cc with belt drive and good wind protection. Kind of sounds like a few changes to a F800ST would make this happen relatively quickly. Once you get someone riding a mini RT the next logical step up for them is the 1200 RT. Harley has long known one of the secrets to success is getting customers to not only buy there first bike but to continually want to upgrade to a larger model.

So now we have the new/returning rider and the female rider in the dealership and buying there first bike. This is where BMW and BMW MOA come together. The dealership needs to give a free 1 year membership to the MOA to each and every one that buys a new bike. Once they start receiving the ON mag they will see a whole new world of motorcycling out there they may not have know about. Let them read about the rallies, the rides and the tech articles. Let the see the vast amount of accessories offered by various vendors for there bikes, but most importantly let them see there are lots of other people just like them in the MOA who will welcome them with open arms just because of the brand of bike they ride. Remember people want to belong to a group, whether it is the local church group, the firehouse or the local softball team, everyone wants to feel they belong and have something in common with others. I think a lot of the new riders will look forward to reading the Owners News each month and when there free 1 year membership expires they will gladly renew it. This will easily allow the MOA to expand its membership. The problem is getting BMW and the dealerships to work hand in hand with the MOA. To me, this is a win-win situation for everyone involved. BMW will be getting new customers and promoting the sport of motorcycling, the MOA will increase its membership and the dealerships will increase there sales of not only motorcycles but of apparel and accessories as well. Remember these new riders will need all new gear and what better place to buy it then at your friendly BMW dealer.

I am sure this little scenario I have laid out is full of potential problems and pitfalls but in the long run I honestly believe it is in the best interest of not only BMW NA but BMW MOA as well. A partnership between these two entities, if done properly can only be beneficial to both parties. In order for the brand to survive they need a loyal customer base as well as attracting new customers and in order for the MOA to survive and grow we need to support of the manufacture, thus ensuring both parties will prosper and grow into the foreseeable future.

I like the idea of a mini RT. The price, however, would not be much less then the current RT (remember the K75 / K100 lineup).

As for female and returning riders I say bring in the scooter asap! Even though I have not been without a bike in the last 27 years (cars yes, bikes no) I would seriously consider buying one of those to share with my wife.

Enjoy!

Actually we already have a mini-rt, or RT-Lite: Its called the R1200R !:clap

Best kept secret in the BMW lineup.

I fit your discription of a returning rider to a T. However I have the luxury of getting my "sea legs" back in a rural traffic free enviornment. I broke back in to riding on a R122RT. A stretch for some I know but its working very well for me.

I think the future of both the BMW brand and the BMW MOA need to reach out to each other in order to not only survive these tough economic times but to thrive and grow over the next 5 + years.

I will start with the BMW brand:

I think BMW is missing a large segment of the market by not targeting the returning rider as well as the female rider. There are lots of people out there that stopped riding early in life due to work, family commitment etc. these people are now a bit older, perhaps approaching retirement and have some free time on there hands. The days of retiring and buying a big motor home to travel the country are pretty much over. Between the large initial financial out lay for the motor home there is the high cost of gas/diesel fuel & insurance. Buying that big boat to cruise around on is quickly loosing its appeal for the same reasons, large initial cash outlay as well as dock fee’s, maintenance and rising fuel costs. A motorcycle on the other hand is relatively cheap, gets good fuel mileage and it doesn’t cost an arm and a leg to insure.

The female rider is a segment long overlooked by many motorcycle manufactures. Woman today are just as inclined to want to spend there free time in pursuit of an activity that offers a low initial cash outlay, as well as the fun and excitement only riding a motorcycle can offer. Harley offers lots of various functions aimed solely at the female rider and I think BMW should follow suit and do the same thing. Offering free seminars showing woman how to work on there bikes as well as specific rides or events that are geared toward woman are just two examples of ways BMW can embrace and welcome the female riders out there.

So now you have the returning riders and the female riders interested in the BMW brand what bike should they buy? If BMW made a new 650 boxer designed for the returning rider/female rider at a low initial cost I think they would have a big hit on their hands. It would combine the retro look and feel of old without all the problems and pitfalls the older bikes had. look at the success Triumph is having with the new Bonneville. Of course the new BMW would have to be very reliable, the last thing a new rider wants is a bike that is constantly in the shop for repairs. That is a sure fire way to have them abandoning the brand and running straight to the nearest Harley dealership.

Speaking of dealerships BMW needs to expand its dealer network. Offering a nice new 650 boxer, or any other bike designed toward a new or returning rider may sound appealing to you but if the nearest dealer is 3 + hours away your not going to go and check it out, not when there is a dealership right down the street selling a brand that everyone recognizes, some friends and co-workers may ride and offers models geared toward the new or returning rider as well as the female rider. The cold hard reality is there are not enough BMW dealers in this county to make owning a BMW a viable option to most people.

Another bike I think BMW needs to develop is a mini RT, something along the lines of an 800cc with belt drive and good wind protection. Kind of sounds like a few changes to a F800ST would make this happen relatively quickly. Once you get someone riding a mini RT the next logical step up for them is the 1200 RT. Harley has long known one of the secrets to success is getting customers to not only buy there first bike but to continually want to upgrade to a larger model.

So now we have the new/returning rider and the female rider in the dealership and buying there first bike. This is where BMW and BMW MOA come together. The dealership needs to give a free 1 year membership to the MOA to each and every one that buys a new bike. Once they start receiving the ON mag they will see a whole new world of motorcycling out there they may not have know about. Let them read about the rallies, the rides and the tech articles. Let the see the vast amount of accessories offered by various vendors for there bikes, but most importantly let them see there are lots of other people just like them in the MOA who will welcome them with open arms just because of the brand of bike they ride. Remember people want to belong to a group, whether it is the local church group, the firehouse or the local softball team, everyone wants to feel they belong and have something in common with others. I think a lot of the new riders will look forward to reading the Owners News each month and when there free 1 year membership expires they will gladly renew it. This will easily allow the MOA to expand its membership. The problem is getting BMW and the dealerships to work hand in hand with the MOA. To me, this is a win-win situation for everyone involved. BMW will be getting new customers and promoting the sport of motorcycling, the MOA will increase its membership and the dealerships will increase there sales of not only motorcycles but of apparel and accessories as well. Remember these new riders will need all new gear and what better place to buy it then at your friendly BMW dealer.

I am sure this little scenario I have laid out is full of potential problems and pitfalls but in the long run I honestly believe it is in the best interest of not only BMW NA but BMW MOA as well. A partnership between these two entities, if done properly can only be beneficial to both parties. In order for the brand to survive they need a loyal customer base as well as attracting new customers and in order for the MOA to survive and grow we need to support of the manufacture, thus ensuring both parties will prosper and grow into the foreseeable future.

Let me get this straight?

You believe a mid-size RT (800cc) with a much more reliable belt-drive is the way to go?

You think BMW needs to focus on a broad expansion of their dealer network?

You advocate bikes priced and sized to accomodate re-entry and female riders?

OK - next time BMW has elections for Board Members, I'm submitting your name - twice! :kiss

maybe they should open a factory in india

see link,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JmFE2CqgLpk&feature=player_embedded
crying-baby-boy_~dnch00004.jpg

Mini RT

+1 on the R1200R as a mini RT. I switched from a 2005 R1200RT to the R1200R and am very happy I made the change.

I just finished installing Barkbuster Storm hand guards and I have a Cee Baileys windshield on order. Then I will be ready for winter riding.

Once the cold weather goes away, I will remove the handguards and switch the windshield to the stock BMW and I have a naked bike, ready to handle the heat and humidity of NC in a way that the RT never could.

Bill

Who wants another watered down bike? If BMW would make another RS, I'd buy one tomorrow. Preferably a R1200RS! Or how about a K1300RS or K1600RS? Now we're talking!

and while not a hexhead, the F800 ST which I notice a lot of woman riders seem to like.

+1 for an 800RT whether it is an F or an R. I ride every day in the city, so having a light bike is a real advantage, but I also like touring when I can get away. I ride a G650GS and have taken it on long trips. The F800 series has 30 more horsepower, which is probably plenty, although I am on a 1200GS dealer loaner right now, and I have to say wow!

I think BMW is missing a large segment of the market by not targeting the returning rider

How do you market to that? To me, it seems like the returning rider is the main customer. Yeah, there are life-long riders (a lot of which seem to dislike the dealerships), but time and again someone sees Neal Peart on a GS, remembers that they used to have some old jap bike and some old american drumset, and decides to dump 30 grand in a GS and all the farkles, and the whale ___skin suit and crank up the Rush for air-drum solos.

The female rider is a segment long overlooked by many motorcycle manufactures.

How are they targeting men? What's different about females? Would a female wrenching session really be beneficial to the BMW/BMWMOA or more uncomfortable/embarrassing?

without all the problems and pitfalls the older bikes had.

What problems and pitfalls?

Once they start receiving the ON mag they will see a whole new world of motorcycling out there they may not have know about. Let them read about the rallies, the rides and the tech articles. Let the see the vast amount of accessories offered by various vendors for there bikes, but most importantly let them see there are lots of other people just like them in the MOA who will welcome them with open arms just because of the brand of bike they ride.

I've suggested the 1 year membership thing before, but.. hell, it's only $40. Why not throw it in with any decent purchase at the dealership (not just a $20000 bike)?

But, although I am in the strange (sub-)culture of the Airheads, basically every BMW owner I talk to about the ON says they read about 10% of it. I guarantee you I read much less than that. I look at the magazine backwards; classifieds, Paul Glaves articles (oh, something about a K-bike? next!) and Matt Parkhouses (oh, he's lubing clutch splines? next!) and can't remember the last time I really read any of it. (Ooh boy someone went to the Alps, Patagonia, South Africa? Good for them.. next!) The magazine alone would NOT be worth the dues to me. I've paid my dues (6 years now) for the anonymous book (why's it anonymous, by the way?) and to keep in touch with (and meet) the people I know through the forums. So, those arms are opened with face-time.

I think the younger generations are a better market for all of the above suggestions, except 1) there's just something about the MOA that doesn't appeal to youngsters (unless their parents are already members), and 2) no youngster's going to be able to afford a new bike (unless their parents paid for it).

I don't know if these organizations can target specific groups, really. BMW has a fine product (which ultimately isn't supposed to be watered down (it's a luxury vehicle)) and I think if they just sell their product (and the "lifestyle") they'll do fine. I don't think a run of pink GS's, or RS's with training wheels, would do very well.

I don't understand why the F800ST doesn't fit the bill. It was specifically designed for returners/first timers.

I don't understand why the F800ST doesn't fit the bill. It was specifically designed for returners/first timers.

In an RT version, an 800 cc BMW would provide fairing weather protection, more generous fuel supply, belt drive (No FD angst!), greater cargo capacity than the small (albeit expandable) bags now offerred as an option, cruise control, an electrically-adjustable windshield and an upright seating position with a low inseam height.

Otherwise, it's just an F800ST.

In an RT version, an 800 cc BMW would provide fairing weather protection, more generous fuel supply, belt drive (No FD angst!), greater cargo capacity than the small (albeit expandable) bags now offerred as an option, cruise control, an electrically-adjustable windshield and an upright seating position with a low inseam height.

Otherwise, it's just and F800ST.

I'm not seeing it. The faring on the the F800ST is adequate. The fuel tank is smaller than an RT but the range is about the same given the increased gas mileage. When expanded, the side cases are about 75% of the volume of RT ones. It's just as easy to strap a duffel to it. So you're talking about a whole new bike just for cruise control and adjustable windshield. My guess would be that not many people would pay a premium over the F800ST for that.

I'm not seeing it. The faring on the the F800ST is adequate. The fuel tank is smaller than an RT but the range is about the same given the increased gas mileage. When expanded, the side cases are about 75% of the volume of RT ones. It's just as easy to strap a duffel to it. So you're talking about a whole new bike just for cruise control and adjustable windshield. My guess would be that not many people would pay a premium over the F800ST for that.

I sense your affinity for the F800ST - perhaps the perfect bike for you.

Just elaborated on what I'd like to see in a bike in the 800 cc range - more protection, cruise and cargo capacity are big deals for me, but that's just me.

Ride Safe and Happy on whatever your mount! :bikes

How do you market to that? To me, it seems like the returning rider is the main customer. Yeah, there are life-long riders (a lot of which seem to dislike the dealerships), but time and again someone sees Neal Peart on a GS, remembers that they used to have some old jap bike and some old american drumset, and decides to dump 30 grand in a GS and all the farkles, and the whale ___skin suit and crank up the Rush for air-drum solos.

How are they targeting men? What's different about females? Would a female wrenching session really be beneficial to the BMW/BMWMOA or more uncomfortable/embarrassing?

What problems and pitfalls?

I've suggested the 1 year membership thing before, but.. hell, it's only $40. Why not throw it in with any decent purchase at the dealership (not just a $20000 bike)?

But, although I am in the strange (sub-)culture of the Airheads, basically every BMW owner I talk to about the ON says they read about 10% of it. I guarantee you I read much less than that. I look at the magazine backwards; classifieds, Paul Glaves articles (oh, something about a K-bike? next!) and Matt Parkhouses (oh, he's lubing clutch splines? next!) and can't remember the last time I really read any of it. (Ooh boy someone went to the Alps, Patagonia, South Africa? Good for them.. next!) The magazine alone would NOT be worth the dues to me. I've paid my dues (6 years now) for the anonymous book (why's it anonymous, by the way?) and to keep in touch with (and meet) the people I know through the forums. So, those arms are opened with face-time.

I think the younger generations are a better market for all of the above suggestions, except 1) there's just something about the MOA that doesn't appeal to youngsters (unless their parents are already members), and 2) no youngster's going to be able to afford a new bike (unless their parents paid for it).

I don't know if these organizations can target specific groups, really. BMW has a fine product (which ultimately isn't supposed to be watered down (it's a luxury vehicle)) and I think if they just sell their product (and the "lifestyle") they'll do fine. I don't think a run of pink GS's, or RS's with training wheels, would do very well.

As usual I'm with Nathan on this one, but then again we're both <30 and own airheads.

Also I wish someone would take notice about the younger generation's thoughts on the ON. I've echoed what Nathan said here in other threads and it seemingly falls on deaf ears. Most often the ON goes from my mailbox to the stack of issues at the bottom of my bookshelf after thumbing through it and thinking "next" as Nathan says. I know many riders in my age group and the ON may as well be an AARP magazine as far as attracting new members. I'm not saying you have to go the "extreme racing/sports" route as some of the older members think younger generations want, but much less of a touring theme that none of us can afford or 25-30k bikes that none of us can afford. On the other hand, BMW Motorcycle Magazine I can read front to back and when I bring it to work often times people who don't even ride will want to read it, go figure

BTW, I should add that owning a BMW (even though it's an R90/6) comes with the BMW label of being retired, wearing neon yellow clothes and flashing lights front to back, and wealthy - in fact every time someone at work sees another BMW on the road they bring it up to me usually with a cell phone pic and the joking ensues. Now I'm not saying there's anything wrong with safety or the way anyone wants to ride, personally my half helmet and leathers do me just fine all year round, but the aforementioned is one hell of a stigma to consider when you're a younger person or woman considering the brand

Maybe. The R1200R although a beautiful bike in it's own right does not have the RT's expansive (expensive) fairing to coddle the rider and passenger on the long haul.

Price wise, in Canada, the R1200R is not that much less then an R1200RT thus negating any advantage it may have had.

Seems to me that BMW believes that the F series and the S are adequate to capture riders new to the marque without a "mini RT." I think if they need to do anything, it's address the reliability issues so they keep the riders they capture. My experience with an F would have pushed me to Triumph if not for geography (my BMW dealer is five miles from my house and the Triumph dealer is 35).

As usual I'm with Nathan on this one

Hey, I like this guy! :ha

thumbing through it and thinking "next" as Nathan says.

What I wrote might sound offensive, but while I respect Paul and Matt 's wrenching abilities (far superior to my own), I get little use out of their articles. Either Paul's writing about the wrong kind of bike (those funky "new" BMW's) or Matt's writing about the basics (I'm more of an intermediate-wrench'er).

the ON may as well be an AARP magazine as far as attracting new members.

I once made a connection between the AARP and motorhome parking spots at the National Rally.. and was scolded.

I'm not saying you have to go the "extreme racing/sports" route as some of the older members think younger generations want

But, dude, our generation is like ToTaLLy x-TrEEM to the MaX, BrO!11! If it doesn't involve a Monster energy drink, a helmet with a mohawk, and a 'busa, forget about it!

Back