• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

My Dublin to Ushuaia Trip!

Heya All! Merry Christmas all! living it up in Buenos Aires! last nights steak was sublime! and with the unlimted champagne! and the argentine ladies are lovely also! what can i say its a nice place!

Heya All! Merry Christmas all! living it up in Buenos Aires! last nights steak was sublime! and with the unlimted champagne! and the argentine ladies are lovely also! what can i say its a nice place!

Sounds like you're doing well. Merry Christmas & Happy New Year, Kev! :thumb

Merry Christmas!! Glad you have a great time!!! Brennan asked to say HI too :wave

Well lads and Lassies, I havenÔÇÖt been on since leaving you in Salta, so I guess its time for an update. Christmas and New years were spent in Buenos Aires with my mates, no real biking stories so I wont bore you all with the. Just plenty of random drunkenness! Simon my mate from earlier in the trip arrived back from Ushuaia, and Guido who put me up in Ecuador was around also. So after touring around Buenos Aires and a few stop overs in Dakar Motos, and plenty of drunken nights, I headed up to Iguazu without the bike
DSC00255.JPG

DSCF0130.JPG

DSCF0051.JPG

DSCF0253.JPG

The falls are impressive .. not quiet captured on the pictures, but there is a video on the website. www.kevfoley.com

DSCF0265.JPG

DSCF0280.JPG

DSCF0264.JPG
translations on the signs are kind of funny
So after the falls made it over to Florianopolis , i wanted some beach and sun!! And a breeze. Its too hot and humid in by the falls.
DSCF0299.JPG

DSCF0301.JPG

And of course some nice girls
Tori_Praver14.jpg

So feast your eyes
Aline_Nakashima.jpg

brasil-butt.jpg

But had to leave as my parts were arriving back in Argentina.
Stopped in Uruguay on the way to visit Punta del Este.
DSCF0336.JPG

Nice place, even saw a man talking his Cow for a walk! Serious.. with a collar and leash!! Pity i didnÔÇÖt have the camera with me! Montevideo was quaint, but more life in Buenos Aires.
So now back here in the Capital of Argentina, to put the bike together and get ready to head south to Bariloche.

More bike pics in the next post!! :D

Hi Lads finally I made it here to Ushuaia, and now on the way home! enjoy a few fotos, and I will do a proper write up in a few days. Needless to say its cold and a little windy. But awesome . even went swimming in the beagle channel yesterday.

DSC00351.JPG

DSC00363.JPG

DSC00377.JPG

DSC00383.JPG

The full info is on the site at www.kevfoley.com

Well now that i have a few moments I have decided to put a few words together on the last few days. After leaving Brazil and Uruguay I got back to Buenos Aires and got the parts together for the bike. All was reassembled and service work done etc! Gear oil, Engine Oil, filters, valves etc. Tyres changed, and all prepped. On the Saturday I rode off with the rising sun, along with Fabrizio and Jeff, who I had been staying with in Buenos Aires. We made our way down to Azul, and stopped in to visit La Posta del Viajero en Moto. Its kind of a hostel place for travellers to stop over. Nice friendly people. We signed the guest book, added a message and were on our way.

DSC00314.JPG

DSC00315.JPG

In the evening we stopped in for a famous Argentine Asado!
DSC00317.JPG

We had to part ways the next morning and I set off solo once again. Wondering where it is the world I am going to! But luckly I had bought a GPS in Buenos Aires so after a quick consulation I was on my way! Ironic that i made it across Salar de Uyuni on a free tourist map and now I regressing to GPS! But however it is cool for looking at your track after.
DSC00320.JPG

I rode out over 1000km to Puerto Madryn, right into the top of Patagonia. I found a cool ACA campsite and pitched my tent! It even has a shower block! Wow.. pure golden luxury. There were a cool overland tour group there also in their big yellow truck. I was to meet them again in Ushuaia! Cant get away from these people! I assume they will be in Torres del Paine also.
Driving down the road i saw a sign for Buceo! .. (diving for those who donÔÇÖt speak Spanish). Thought , its a little chilly, but a dive sounds cool. So I asked and the next day I was down for a dive on a reef, and on a shipwreck. The the visibility was piss poor, but it was awesome to dive again, now i can add Patagonia to my log book!
Madryn was first settled by the Welsh, and there is a sign where the original houses were. It reads ÔÇ£first houses in Puerto Madryn, respect this placeÔÇØ. I am still looking for the houses
DSC00335.JPG

Dying for a cup on tea on the way, I heard of a wee place called Gaiman. The original Welsh village complete with tea houses!
DSC00337.JPG

DSC00338.JPG

You get a huge pot, with a tea cosy on it and a large selection of cakes and biscuits. Awesome! I must say I consumed the whole lot!! It was a little surreal, sitting drinking English tea in Patagonia while the ÔÇ£in house entertainmentÔÇØ played a version of ÔÇ£oh Danny boy the pipes the pipes are callingÔÇØ .. It was truly emotional.
Next day was a long drive also! Man there is nothing really to see on ruta3, just lots of wind and sheer bleak nothingness! I did stop off to see some Lobosmarinos.. sea lions. These guys are great.
DSC00324.JPG

DSC00327.JPG

Also there is lots of time to think, and consider the meaning of life! Personally I just listened to my iPod.
DSC00331.JPG

Stopped over in Rada Tilly, its a small seaside town, but is really expensive as its got lots of oil workers who work the local petrol extraction. Then on to Rio Gallegos. This town is best avoided. Think communism gone wrong, delightfully ugly. I pitched my tent and in the morning was on my way again!
The crazy thing about Ushuaia and the Island of Tierra Del Fuego, is that although its part of Argentina you need to go into Chile to get to it! So two border crossings are required. The road in chile is back to gravel until you reach Argentina side, where it reverts to Tarmac.
I got a puncture.. or more precisely a blown out tyre (completely shredded) near the second border crossing. I guess it did like driving at speed over dirt roads. I tell you at this time I am near expert at getting the rubber off my rims! So in no time at all I was on my way.
The real problem down here is the wind! Its wicked. Starts coming up after 10am .. and by 7pm is almost impossible to ride. Just blows you right off the road. A night was spent in Rio Grande at the Argentina Hostel. (actually i am here at the moment on my way back with another Irish bike, and two Germans, we have a wee BMW garage out the back).
Then finally I got to Ushuaia.
DSC00351.JPG

Despite what people say about there being nothing to do there I had fun. Its cool, some nice walks, I got to see Ireland beat Italy in rugby while sitting in an Irish bar, with a pint of beer, with a few more Irish ex pats! Class! Come all this way to find a town with 3 Irish bars! How random
DSC00350.JPG

Next day while looking at the map, we were looking at the map, and not entirely happy that Ruta 3 was as far south as we could go, we came across Moat. A few more degrees further south. Maybe I should mention that I had met Stephen, a fellow Irish man, on his F650 down here also. Same Age from the same part of Dublin! To many coincidences I tell you.
So off we went!
DSC00363.JPG

DSC00366.JPG

To the little house on the prairie!
DSC00375.JPG

And the true end of the road
DSC00377.JPG

Of course to be well hard when we got there we had to go for a swim! So into the Beagle at the end of the road! Man it was cold! (not quiet the 40 foot in Dublin of Christmas Day)
DSC00383.JPG

DSC00388.JPG

Afterwards we made our way back through the howling wind which decided to pick up again. Tomorrow we set off for Puerto Natales and should be in Calafate on Saturday to start the Ruta 40 back north!

Kev, hope you left some teabags for me!

Looks like I'll be riding in the tracks of an Irishman, so please tell me you didn't upset anyone, who might want to take it out on the next Brit/Irishman...and from the lady pics, I hope I'll not be expected to pay any outstanding paternity money?

atta boy!

thanks for taking the time to bring us a long. My first reply to this post still holds sand. EPIC!!!!!! You're not off the hook for some tales from the road on your way back. Where do you leave from?

Kev, hope you left some teabags for me!

Looks like I'll be riding in the tracks of an Irishman, so please tell me you didn't upset anyone, who might want to take it out on the next Brit/Irishman...and from the lady pics, I hope I'll not be expected to pay any outstanding paternity money?

:laugh :ha :laugh I can just imagine the little trail of unchained tykes all up and down the Patagonian countryside.

Kev, thanks again! Ride well, brother.

:laugh :ha :laugh I can just imagine the little trail of unchained tykes all up and down the Patagonian countryside.

Kev, thanks again! Ride well, brother.

Little red haired Patagonian Leprechauns jumping out at you, offering inflated price Guinness "for goodness sake" and really good breakfasts and saying this is where IrishKev found the craich!
Argentinian mites that can't tango, but can do river dance.
Brazilian kids that are hopeless at football but carry shinty sticks.
Mythical six foot tall Peruvians with pale skin and freckles that stay out of the sun and play CDs by the Corrs.

It's a nightmare. Kev I just hope your seed fell close to home or on stoney ground.

Ushuaia trip

Kevin:

Swimming in the Beagle Channel.

Accountants everywhere are revelling in the new image you're giving them.:laugh

Rinty

Little red haired Patagonian Leprechauns jumping out at you, offering inflated price Guinness "for goodness sake" and really good breakfasts and saying this is where IrishKev found the craich!
Argentinian mites that can't tango, but can do river dance.
Brazilian kids that are hopeless at football but carry shinty sticks.
Mythical six foot tall Peruvians with pale skin and freckles that stay out of the sun and play CDs by the Corrs.

It's a nightmare. Kev I just hope your seed fell close to home or on stoney ground.

Ha ha ha .. well it was the Irish plan you know.. a reverse take over if you will! I was going to return in 18 years time and install myself as leader! ;)

and guinness :drink yes please! i would love one! .. teabags.. well there is a wee rainbow down here and at the end is a wee pot of tea just for you.

Ps lamble on the Malvinas there is a guy in Azul looking to do a joint British Argie trip.. thought you might be interested.. will get his mail for you.

Ps lamble on the Malvinas there is a guy in Azul looking to do a joint British Argie trip.. thought you might be interested.. will get his mail for you.

The Mal whaters? Are they near the Falkland Islands by any stretch of the imagination? It's our last bit of empire, play fair!

Heya all guys.

Some of you dont know me, (actually lots of you dont) but for the few that did, on monday morning I rolled off the ferry into Dublin Port after nearly one year abroad riding my GS from New York to Canada and all the way south to the very end of south america, and back through Europe, 25 countries and over 40 border crossings. It was an emotional moment!
So just saying hi here and will probably see some of you around. Now I am home I will be checking in here more often!

Kev

ps the story is mostly on the web at my site www.kevfoley.com

I know you all love fotos and stuff so will get the rest of the story together in summary form and post it up here soon

Heya all guys.

Some of you dont know me, (actually lots of you dont) but for the few that did, on monday morning I rolled off the ferry into Dublin Port after nearly one year abroad riding my GS from New York to Canada and all the way south to the very end of south america, and back through Europe, 25 countries and over 40 border crossings. It was an emotional moment!
So just saying hi here and will probably see some of you around. Now I am home I will be checking in here more often!

Kev

ps the story is mostly on the web at my site www.kevfoley.com

I know you all love fotos and stuff so will get the rest of the story together in summary form and post it up here soon

Congratulations on your successful journey and welcome home, Kev! :clap

Glad to see you returned home safely.Alain Arnaud on his way thru here says hello.Headed to Statdawg country on his way to Alaska.
Cheers :drink

Back