• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MPG's and BMW?

WOW, Honda:)

I sure LIKE that glove box, big enough to hold a helmet, large caverness!!! NO More tankbags makes me happy too. My GSA1200 went tankbag'less some time ago...I think its "past time" somebody gets a M/C MPG war going:). more power to'em. I had the GS1100 with 85 HP years ago, never felt lack of power when needed then. My current GSA1200 at 100+HP is neat but I would go back to the big bore 85HP version/more torque for MPGs. Randy

I've been riding the same 94RS since Oct 1994. Back then, I could fill the bike with premium for less than $7. Nowadays, it costs me about $20. I ride it mostly because it always feeds my soul, which almost any fuel cost would be worthwhile for the feelings and theraputic relaxation I get from it.

Yet, for all of BMWs excellence in technology, it would be great if BMW could figure out a system by which we could select an "economy" setting when just cruising steady. BMW already knows how to make a decently powerful engine with good fuel economy in the F800. So maybe BMW should take it a step further. Develop an engine with rider selectable power/economy modes.

I think it would be a strong selling point. C'mon BMW, lead the way here and show we can have the power when we want it, along with the economy when we need it.

I just got back from a ride down the Baja peninsula to Cabo and back. 2400 miles. The computer says 49 mpg. I'll have to check my log to see if that is accurate with my numbers of miles, and gallons and liters.
My top speed was about 72 and I had a lot at lower speed.
On my Colorado trip last year, the computer showed 50.0 all the way, but my numbers showed 53 to the gallon, and I did quite a bit there at 82 or so. It may have been the altitude.
Since the GS is the same motor, I cannot understand why you would not get fairly close to the same mileage.
dc

I just got back from a ride down the Baja peninsula to Cabo and back. 2400 miles. The computer says 49 mpg. I'll have to check my log to see if that is accurate with my numbers of miles, and gallons and liters.
On my Colorado trip last year, the computer showed 50.0 all the way, but my numbers showed 53 to the gallon, and I did quite a bit there at 82 or so. It may have been the altitude.
Since the GS is the same motor, I cannot understand why you would not get fairly close to the same mileage.
dc

What model did you travel on? A GS or something else? As a previous poster said.....the GS riding position (high CG and no lean) is great for visibility, but sucks for aerodynamics.

I've been riding the same 94RS since Oct 1994. Back then, I could fill the bike with premium for less than $7. Nowadays, it costs me about $20. I ride it mostly because it always feeds my soul, which almost any fuel cost would be worthwhile for the feelings and theraputic relaxation I get from it.

Yet, for all of BMWs excellence in technology, it would be great if BMW could figure out a system by which we could select an "economy" setting when just cruising steady. BMW already knows how to make a decently powerful engine with good fuel economy in the F800. So maybe BMW should take it a step further. Develop an engine with rider selectable power/economy modes.

I think it would be a strong selling point. C'mon BMW, lead the way here and show we can have the power when we want it, along with the economy when we need it.

I was working in Italy last week and gas was 1.75Euro/liter or $8.91 per gal. Diesel, the typical fuel for new cars, was ~2.00 Euro/liter or $10.18 per gal.

I'm on an RT. But in terms of riding position, and all that, I cannot see that great of a difference in it. I understand they are two different bikes. But they are both tractors. You are not dealing with a compact car, and a semi. You are dealing with two very similar semis. Or two very similar compact cars.
So I can see the miles per gallon as different, but not that different.
dc

I am an attorney. I ride quite a bit when heading to file stuff at the main courthouse simply because it is fun, and much, much easier to find parking. In fact, I usually park under a large oak tree directly behind the courthouse buildings, to the chagrin of my fellow attorneys :laugh

More to the point, I am generating billable hours riding around on my Beemer :clap

Ok, I may have to switch professions!

dc

I'm sure to be corrected if this is wrong, but I think the overall gearing on a GS is lower than an R or RT, so MPG will be less.

I'm on an RT. But in terms of riding position, and all that, I cannot see that great of a difference in it. I understand they are two different bikes. But they are both tractors. You are not dealing with a compact car, and a semi. You are dealing with two very similar semis. Or two very similar compact cars.
So I can see the miles per gallon as different, but not that different.
dc

It's called streamlining. The drag coefficient of an unfaired shape (i.e. a disk or barn door) is greater than 1.0. With a little shaping (like your RT fairing), the drag coefficient can reduced by more than 50 ~ 75%. If you ride the bikes over the same terrain and at similar speeds, which leaves you feeling more tired? I'll bet it's the GS form all that drag you have been producing.

Even with different gearing and with the aerodynamics difference, I see minor variations in the mpg, not the substantial difference mentioned in the op.
So I'm wondering if there isn't some other variable involved.
dc

Even with different gearing and with the aerodynamics difference, I see minor variations in the mpg, not the substantial difference mentioned in the op.
dc
Are you saying "you would expect minor variations" or "you are measuring minor differences in MPG"?

I measure MPG changes in town highway travel (concrete highways covered in rubber), and out of town (concrete or asphalt highways). The rubberized concrete highways increase your MPG, you roll better.

Mpg

I just got back from riding about 250 miles some interstate & mostly two lane mountain roads on my K1200LT and my average MPG was 53.7. I always figure my mileage by miles divided by gallons. The on board BC is a pile of crap for figuring out MPG as far as I'm concerned.

Klt1200:)

I had a previous '01KLT1200 and now GSA1200. I like the adventure thing these days, BUT the KLT1200 got the best mpg's ever on any BMW I ever owned. Same as yours into the 50s at times. I even towed a trailer and got mid40smpg's frequently. A much heavier bike(KLT), but so well faired and an engine that performed well. Even my GSA with its ugly aerodynamics and gearing, I figured to better than it does, per this thread genesis. Its clearly 300lbs lighter than a KLT, so tradeoff maybe. NOT! The KLT was a real neat bike, but too big(weight) for my liking to continue after my 97000m on it. Good times. SO, I went with a bigger/taller bike:), go figure! Randy

Fyi;

My onboard computers have all been spot on, regarding calculations, even the past KLT. Had three computer bikes now, all worked well with figures. Randy

dc

Don't know if you would consider this difference minor or not, but my GS averages 38 to 42 mpg. When I had my RT, it would average 47 to 50 mpg. In a really heavy headwind the RT would drop to 38 and up in the mountains it would jump to the mis-50's, but the average for the RT was considerably higher than the GS. I was surprised at the difference.

alzyck
That difference surprises me also. I would expect less difference.
I haven't had any evidence of bad gas in years. And that includes 2400 miles thru' Baja Mexico this month, and 4 gallons purchased in old plastic jugs by the side of the road.
Not even the slightest hiccup.
But. California a few years ago went to double lined tanks for the gas stations, and a few stations what couldn't afford it closed. The others got the new tanks so that leakage doesn't contaminate nearby houses, and the side benefit is that rain water and ground water doesn't leak into the tanks.
In Mexico, except for the brief roadside gas, all the stations were fairly new. Indicating to me new, non leaking (in and out) tanks.
I think that was due to economic conditions of previous years.
That caused Mexico to start with new stations. Start over, maybe.
dc

Mex gas;

Most of it is government owned too, or used to be. My GSA will run anything I put in it so far. Regular , no problem and mpg's does not change/improve, whatever I run in the tank. I use regular more now, because it just does not matter on my '07GSA...Randy

I own two bikes, an 1100 cruiser and a G650GS. I ride 60 miles round trip to work and back. I purchased the GS as a commuter bike. My cruiser gets about 44 mpg combo riding where as the GS gets me 64mpg. That's why I bought the GS. I don't consider 44mpg low for my cruiser, and the 64mpg with the GS is exactly what I expected. BTW, the 64 mpg is with an engine that doesn't even have 1000 miles on it. I'm happy.

Your all WRONG! You should not care about miles per gallon of fuel consumed. But rather SMILES per gallon consumed. An no car will ever beat a motorcycle in that category. Well, maybe when it is 20 below and ice all over the road. But other than that, bike wins every time.

Back