• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Move Garmin BaseMap From C:/ To Elsewhere including Thumb Drive

Garmin used to have those instructions on their website, but my bookmarked link is now broken. Express also used to offer the option to pick a folder or drive, but it usually ignored my choice. I condensed the procedure and then made a couple tweaks:

To move the map files to an alternate location:
Press the Windows key + R
Type %programdata% and press Enter
Open the Garmin folder
Open the Maps folder
Right-click the desired map to move
Click Cut
Browse to the desired alternate location
Right-click a blank area in the directory, click Paste
Browse back to the Maps folder on the C: drive (%programdata%\Garmin\Maps)
Right-click a blank area in the directory
Select New
Select Shortcut
Click Browse and browse to the location of the relocated map
Click Next
Click Finish

My modified version which I find easier to remember:

In File Explorer, click the View tab, check the Hidden Items box.
Open C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps
Select the City Navigator folder
Right-click and Cut.
Browse to the desired alternate location
Right-click a blank area in the folder, click Paste
Right-click the map file, select Create Shortcut
Right-click the new shortcut, select Cut
Browse back to C:\ProgramData\Garmin\Maps
Paste the Shortcut
Done.

I carry a Windows netbook on trips, basically a Windows tablet with an attached keyboard. It has only 48Gb of space on the C:\ drive after the OS is installed, so I use this procedure to put my Basecamp maps on the 500Gb D:\ drive in the keyboard. I suspect saving space on the main drive is the primary reason anyone moves the maps. Know that when Express installs maps or updates itself, it leaves copies of the files in C:\ProgramData\Garmin\CoreService\Downloads. I have never found a use for these files or seen any indication that they are used for any purpose after their initial installation. They can be safely deleted to recover an additional 5 or 6 Gb of storage. At times, I've found copies of several outdated maps here, at 3 or 4 Gb each.

Back