• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MotoScan App

globalrider

Alps Adventurer
When you've paid for the ULTIMATE version and you use this App once every year or two, how do you enable it the next time you want to use it. Opening the App, it shows MotoScan Lite on my phone and I cannot do Coding.

That is the only downside to this software. I know there is an easy fix and I thought I copied the response from the developer that I cannot find. Why does something have to be so effing complicated!

I tried their FAQs...and that did not help.

I bought a paid version, but it still shows "Lite". What should I do?

In rare cases, it takes several hours for Google to synchronize the licenses. If this is the case for you, try the following:
Restart the phone. If it doesn't help, then there is a problem with the Play Store app and its cache and data should be cleared and refreshed to fix the problem. How to do this is shown in this YouTube video . It often helps to simply go back to “Buy license” and select the purchased license. Google then reports that the license has already been purchased and activates it.

After more than a half-hour of fiddling, the MotoScan Ultimate finally appeared at the top of my screen. Why or how? One of those great mysteries in life called "software".

Last edited:
You need to be connected to the internet (WiFi or mobile data on) so the app can check with your google account to see what you paid for.

You need to be connected to the internet (WiFi or mobile data on) so the app can check with your google account to see what you paid for.

Thanks Karl,

I had WiFi and Bluetooth enabled on my phone and it still took over 30 minutes for magic to happen.

Question is, lets say I took this with me on a trip (yeah I know its a BMW and they do not break down) and I am in the middle of nowhere and I do not have data on my phone (I do not live on my phone), I wonder how I would read a fault code if I had one?

Thanks Karl,

I had WiFi and Bluetooth enabled on my phone and it still took over 30 minutes for magic to happen.

Question is, lets say I took this with me on a trip (yeah I know its a BMW and they do not break down) and I am in the middle of nowhere and I do not have data on my phone (I do not live on my phone), I wonder how I would read a fault code if I had one?

Maybe borrow somebody's GS-911.

Motoscan only needs the WiFi connection once to validate your subscription.

It's been a while ago but I think you get some message saying that the Motoscan level you paid for is licensed on this phone.

Last edited:
Motoscan only needs the WiFi connection once to validate your subscription.

In that case, that would have been a few years ago when I bought the Ultimate version and used it then.

Yesterday, all it showed me on my phone was I had the MotoScan Lite when I tried to do some coding. It wasn't till I updated the software about 30 minutes later that it showed me I had the MotoScan Ultimate version or maybe doing so was just a coincidence.

At the moment, even my tablet which I didn't even use yesterday shows a MotoScan Ultimate at the top of the screen. Go figure!

Anyway, at least I was able to switch my 12H clock to 24H which cannot be set on my GSA using the on-board switches. Unfortunately, the date cannot be set to yy.mm.dd, only dd.mm.yy or mm.dd.yy.

Thanks. I'll keep an eye on the software and use it more often, especially before a trip to make sure my version is activated.

Maybe a bug in the code caused by OS and app upgrades over the years. Report it to the developer and see if there is any acknowledgement.

Ultimate

I paid for the Ultimate level a couple of years ago so I could code new TP sensors and haven’t had any problems maintaining that subscription level. Each time I use the setup I have to go into my Android tablet and forget the Bluetooth connection to the OBD device. I then search for new Bluetooth device, reconnect, and software and hardware work as intended.

I am in the market for either a GS911 or Motoscan. I saw the Motoscan Ultimate version offers Service functions Yes Coding control devices Yes compared to the Professional version. Can someone please explain those additional features to me.

Thanks.

Back