• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Motorcycle lift for '02 R1150RT. Recommendations?

tangoalpha

Guys/Gals,

I'm the type of person who is very meticulous when caring for my vehicles, especially of the two wheeled varieties. Historically, I do my own service work on things that are within my skill level, ability, etc. Anything that falls outside of my ability to service or repair, I will take my bike to a qualified mechanic or dealer. That said, I would like to start performing oil changes on my R1150RT as I do on my other bike (Harley Ultra Classic). To service my Harley I have a wheeled pneumatic motorcycle lift which allows me to lift my bike in the air so I can work on it. Because the lift is on wheels, I can move my bike easily around the garage. I use this lift for everything....oil changes, bike cleaning, etc. Because there is no bodywork below the frame on my Harley, unlike the BMW, I have this option. While I haven't removed body panels on my RT yet, it doesn't appear that I will be able to use the same type of lift for this bike. Is my only option buying a table lift with a ramp? While a table lift would work, I would like to be able to get the wheels off the ground so I can spin them freely. This also comes in handy when cleaning the rims.

I welcome any solutions or ideas you might have...besides selling my Harley, that is. ;)

I don't know of any frame-based lift for the 1150RT. The bodywork covers pretty much all of the structural lifting points. If you want that kind of solution, you may need to add some sort of lifting points to the bike, much as racers put spools on the frame or swingarm for the track stands.

Another vote for the Harbour Fright lift. Several of my other riding buddies have one as well. The only caveat is that a different tire clamp must be purchased, as the supplied clamp is worthless.

I've seen a couponed price of $280 quite recently; maybe a black Friday deal. Can't do any better than that!

Tires can be rotated for cleaning while the RT is on the center stand... and I have had the center stand deployed on the lift... with safety straps, of course.

I also have the Harbor Freight lift and it works fine for me. The front wheel chock is the weak point as stated. It would be perfect if I made an extended ramp and left side walking boards. I'm getting old!
PAS
81 R100RT
03 R1150RT

Center stand works well for me. Secret is getting a pad to lie on next to the bike. I use carpet underlayment. Slide a plastic oil pan underneath and proceed. Has added benefit of no large, heavy thing semi-permanently on the floor of the garage.
Watch the torque, though. Don't pull the bike off the center stand. I loosen sump drain from the right side, tighten from the left, so I'm always pulling backwards on the bike. Or you can tie the center stand to the front wheel if you like.
Just my .02...

I believe having a lift encourages one to do required maintenance tasks more punctually and to do them better. When you can see things better and access them easier it follows that the work gets done better. You will also be more likely to broaden the scope of the maintenance you are willing to take on. Not everyone's situation allows for a lift, but if it is possible then it is a great tool.

Another Vote for Harbor Freight

DSC_9105_Garage_Lift_Best.jpg

I have no complaints with my Harbor Freight purchase. It sure is nice being able to sit on a stool and have the bike at a proper working level.

View attachment 59380

I have no complaints with my Harbor Freight purchase. It sure is nice being able to sit on a stool and have the bike at a proper working level.

Agreed! We are definitely on the same wavelength. I have the same stool and rolling tool cabinet as well. Thanks for the pic. Gives me a better idea of the setup and space requirements.

Back