• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 6 January 2007

mika

Still Wondering
TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

hb9.jpg

BMW Group Press Club:

BMW FIRST AUTO MAKER TO OFFER HD RADIO RECEIVERS
THROUGHOUT ITS ENTIRE PRODUCT RANGE
Announcement Extends BMWÔÇÖs Leadership Position Among Auto Manufacturers in the Rollout of Digital AM and FM Radio

Woodcliff Lake, NJ  January 5, 2007BMW expands its pioneering position in providing high-quality audio systems by becoming the first automotive firm to offer a factory-installed digital HD Radio receiver as an option across its entire 2007 product line. This option, which now includes HD Radio multicast reception capability, will be available in the spring on all 2007 3, 5, 6, and 7 Series models, as well as X3, X5, and Z4.

HD Radio technology is one of the most significant advances in radio broadcasting history, providing listeners with enhanced digital audio quality and clear, noise-free reception, as well as multicasting and on-screen text information. The HD Radio multicasting feature allows FM stations to broadcast multiple channels of digital programming simultaneously on a single frequency.

Of the more than 1,100 stations across the country broadcasting with HD Radio technology, more than 500 FM stations are offering a second (HD2) and, in many cases, a third (HD3) multicast channel. For example, WAMU in Washington, DC, offers three channels: 88.5-1, a simulcast of its news/talk analog channel; 88.5-2, a simulcast of an innovative Baltimore music station not available in DC; and 88.5-3, bluegrass music. These channels are free but can only be found on HD Radio receivers. As with all
HD Radio programming, there are no fees or additional costs associated with multicast channels.

The number of HD Radio stations is growing daily and expected to exceed 3,000 within the next few years. A current list of HD Radio stations and multicast stations can be found at: www.hdradio.com.

TodayÔÇÖs announcement continues BMWÔÇÖs history of groundbreaking premium audio offerings. In the fall of 2005, the company announced the first OEM availability of
HD Radio technology in its 2006 7 and 6 Series models. In June 2006, the company announced that HD Radio receivers would be offered in its 2007 5 Series models and last month it announced the first factory-installed multicast capable HD Radio in the new 2007 3 Series Convertible.

The HD Radio option will have a Suggested Retail Price of $500.

BMW Group In America
BMW of North America, LLC has been present in the United States since 1975. ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Cars NA, LLC began distributing vehicles in 2003. The BMW Group in the United States has grown to include marketing, sales, and financial service organizations for the BMW brand, the MINI brand, and the ROLLS-ROYCE brand of Motor Cars; DesignworksUSA, an industrial design firm in California; a technology office in Silicon Valley and various other operations throughout the country. BMW Manufacturing Co., LLC in South Carolina is part of BMW GroupÔÇÖs global manufacturing network and is the exclusive manufacturing plant for all Z4 models and X5 Sports Activity Vehicles. The BMW Group sales organization is represented in the U.S. through networks of 339 BMW passenger car centers, 334 BMW Sports Activity Vehicle centers, 143 BMW motorcycle retailers, 80 MINI passenger car dealers, and 30 ROLLS-ROYCE Motor Car dealers. BMW (US) Holding Corp., the BMW GroupÔÇÖs sales headquarters for North, Central and South America, is located in Woodcliff Lake, New Jersey.

BMW MOA Chartered Club:

BMW Motorcycle Club Of Ottawa, Canada, #145

Founded:
2/1/1985

Don Dobson (dondobson_99@yahoo.ca)
2037 Woodglen Crescent
Ottawa, ON K1J 6G6 Canada
www.bmwmotorcycleclubottawa.org

Meetings:
1st Monday each winter month at 7:30 PM,
The Lindenhof German Restaurant, 365 Forest St., see web

Events:
Mid-winter "Blahs" Potluck in February
Summer Picnic in August

Finger Lakes BMW Club Rally, September

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

oww-carding-wool.jpg

Old World Wisconsin

Ozaukee ÔÇô Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

News:

Cycleworld.com: Looking for Lindberg. The online version of Peter EganÔÇÖs February issue Ural story with some extra pictures.

Roadrider.com.au: GirlÔÇÖs day out.

gurufocus.com: Riding the HOG (as an investment)

Motorcyclemuseum.org: Sam Swope donates MDA Harley-Davidson to Museum

theKneeslider.com: ConfederateÔÇÖs Wraith close to production.

theGarageblog.com: Mickey & Trudy Thompson murder trial comcludes.

iht.com: Coverting the US breadbasket into a fuel tank

iht.com: Oil slips below $55.00

earthtimes.com: Suzuki announces record sales for cars and credits its brand loyalty for success. Motorcycles have been a key part of their advertising campaign. Hmmm imagine that.

Motorcycledaily.com: Ducati 848 (little brother to 1098) due May 2008

Charlotte Observer via topix.netComplications put Benny Parsons in intensive care.

Beer News:

365 Days of Beer: posting this blog may be dangerous. It is something of a challenge.

Update - Associated Press via topix.net: Main gives OK for bare-breasted beer

Feature:

LOGO1.jpg

Lancashire Ambulance Services UK: Course overview

Blog Update:

HelmetHairblog.com: Motorcycle Bloggers International RiderÔÇÖs Choice Awards

Gear:

webBikeWorld.com:Roadgear TDF Motorcycle Boots

Motorcycle Repair and Care:

BMW-motorrad.co.za ÔÇô The Workshop: Fuses
Parts:

Riding Skills:

molenda.com: Accident Scene Management

Technology:

Gizmag.com: The era of digital paper approaches.

Is this the look of ON for the future? How many versions would we print each month? Would you want your own version?

Gizmodo.com: Double your Mac storage space.

Wonderings:

I remember reading a satirical piece in Road & Track. If memory serves to place the article in time, emission controls and the first hints of a gas crisis were on the horizon. The piece, with a sci-fi twist, created in the readers mind a world without gasoline and cars as we know themexcept. One Ferrari survived deep in a collectors underground bunker. In the piece the emissions police are scrambling down an exhaust tunnel. The collector had put the last can of high test he had into the red beauty and fired up the V-12 cylindered beast to hear that incredible Italian mechanical chorus one last time.

I wonder what the motorcycles we ride will look like in the future. The auto industry is being dragged kicking and screaming into the future. The direction of technology ÔÇô fuel cell, bio fuel, electric, and hybrid ÔÇô is not clear. While I wonder what the future is for motorcycles, theKneeslider.com wonders if the motorcycles have a future.

Thursday evening I went to a forum to discuss the key issues for the upcoming legislature here in the State of Confusion (MN). Several people there would have us riding a bio-fueled bike of some sort. If I had to build a bunker in back of one of the mushroom caves in lower Lilydale, I wonder what bike I would store there. What the bike I would surreptitiously ride to see it, would look like.

What you think the future holds for motorcycling?

If you are the mythical collector of the last jerry can of high test, what bike would you take to the bunker?

Just Wondering.

Manufacturer of the Day:

BRITTEN

Britten Motorcycle Company, New Zealand
John Britten ÔÇô Wikipedia
The New Zealand Edge ÔÇô Heroes ÔÇô John Britten
Britten Motorcycle Website ÔÇô UNOFFICIAL
Britten Motorcycle ÔÇô Google search

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Bike Candy:

pic8.jpg

Remarkables.jpg

NZRRS96Ready.jpg

big7.jpg

Page 2

The Pit Crew View: Racing News:

All things BMW

SpeedTV.com: F1- BMW vows to think out of the box.

X-Raid.de: BMW X-Raid

Dakar 2007: Topix.net

EuroSport: Live updates Stage 1

BBCmotorsport.co.uk: Dakar Rally welcomes record entry

Motorsport.com ÔÇô CCR News: Dakar

Gauloises Racing preview

Final entrant list

Team USA

Team Yamaha

Team Repsol KTM

Team MAXDATA Mercedes

Nissan Dessoude

Repsol Mitsubishis

KTM

therallysite.com: Volkswagen team ready to go.

MCN.co.uk: Dakar and Honda

Eurosport.com: Dakar preview

Eurosport.comMarc Coma ÔÇô Repsol KTM ÔÇô field wide open.

cheche.jpg

The official Dakar 2007 website.

Versus: Now that you too are hooked on the event here is the TV schedule for your 2007 Dakar viewing pleasure.

Dakar Rally News via topix.net
NORTH AMERICAN ENTRANTS:

Here are the entrants from NA and their websites when available. This undoubtedly is an incomplete list and I will continue to refine it up to race time.

MOTORCYCLE

Chris Blais: Red Bull / KTM

Paul Broome: Honda

Terry Curtis - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

James Embro: Team SSC / JJE Constructors

Timothy Hall: Heatland Dakar 2007 / KTM

Sunny Irvine - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

Christopher Jones: KTM

Mike Kary: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Steve Laroza: Team JJE Construcors / KTM

Casey McCoy: Rally Pan America / KTM

Brian Schumckle: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Elmer Symons: Team SSC/JJE Constructors / KTM

Jonah Street: Pai-Rally Pan America / KTM

CARS

Ron Bailey Motorsports

Team Gordon

Volkswagen Motosport: Drivers Mark Miller / Ralf Pitchford

Team SMG: Divers ÔÇô Michael Peterson / Matthew Stevensen

TRUCKS

Thomas Geviss / Paul Mitchell: Team Gordon

Darren Skilton / Jose Grijalva / Hecotr Camachof

Here is another chance for you to do the digging: Google Directory: Dakar 2007, approximately 598 sites to mine. Have fun.

Dakar Motorcycle Entrants as of 5 OCT 2007 This appears to be a complete list of the motorcycle entrants.

AMA

2007 Anaheim I Supercross preview

F-1

sprtnetwork.net: 2007 Honda F1 to be revealed Jan 25

PAGE 2: A Link to Events and Racing Calendars
Last update: December 17, 2006

Unless noted otherwise, I have no known commercial interest in any products, retailers or manufactures discussed in the Morning Reads. The links used in the Morning Reads are for informational use only. The use of all links is subject to the terms of use of the originating site.

THE END

What I learned from MIKA today!

Can the farms of America supply both food and fuel?

Renewing concerns about whether there will be enough corn to support the demand for both fuel and food, a new study has found that ethanol plants could use as much as half of America's corn crop next year.

Follow the Link

Good morning. Great reads over my oatmeal as usual.

M1ka, you are the most wonderingist guy I know, I am wondering if in your wondering you have ever come across the BMW motorcycle commercial that aired at the end of the SunTrust Moto-ST Eight Hours at Daytona race on (I think) December 7th. If so I would sure like to see it again.

BMW Santa Cruz won the race BTW. On a R1200S :heart

Thanks,
bg

Good morning. Great reads over my oatmeal as usual.

M1ka, you are the most wonderingist guy I know, I am wondering if in your wondering you have ever come across the BMW motorcycle commercial that aired at the end of the SunTrust Moto-ST Eight Hours at Daytona race on (I think) December 7th. If so I would sure like to see it again.

BMW Santa Cruz won the race BTW. On a R1200S :heart

Thanks,
bg

I have bumped into a number of BMW commercials in my travels on the internet. PM me with a bit more description of the one you are interested in.

Renewing concerns about whether there will be enough corn to support the demand for both fuel and food, a new study has found that ethanol plants could use as much as half of America's corn crop next year

Here is one of the real issues for bio fuels. The initial fuels have been, for example, corn based, using the corn itself to make the fuel. Newer research has been centered around using the bio mass, stalks tailings etc, as the base material to generate the fuel. As we laymen work through the information it often becomes muddled, at least for me. Many competing agendas and food for future discussions.

Can the farms of America supply both food and fuel?

Renewing concerns about whether there will be enough corn to support the demand for both fuel and food, a new study has found that ethanol plants could use as much as half of America's corn crop next year.

Follow the Link

I'd rather see us move to fuel production instead of food. Most of that corn is for corn syrup. It's cheaper to make foods with corn syrup, because they use less of it, as it "tastes" sweeter. The down side is that the human body processes fructose (corn syrup) differently than sucrose (sugar). Sucrose tends to be burned as energy, while the body is more likely to store fructose as fat. Since they still use sucrose a LOT in Europe, it makes me think a fair amount of the weight problems in the US could be helped by switching to more sucrose. Of course, eating healthy would help, too. :)

Personally, I like the taste of soda with sucrose better than the stuff made from corn syrup. Of course, it's not so bad; I just finished a Mountain Dew, after all. :)

Good article on accident scene managegment. Lots of good advice there, but I'd adjust the order of the first two items. Number one priority of responding to any emergency scene is to assure scene saftey. You're of no use to the victims if you too become one.

BMW FIRST AUTO MAKER TO OFFER HD RADIO RECEIVERS
THROUGHOUT ITS ENTIRE PRODUCT RANGE
Announcement Extends BMWÔÇÖs Leadership Position Among Auto Manufacturers in the Rollout of Digital AM and FM Radio

Woodcliff Lake, NJ  January 5, 2007BMW expands its pioneering position in providing high-quality audio systems by becoming the first automotive firm to offer a factory-installed digital HD Radio receiver as an option across its entire 2007 product line. This option, which now includes HD Radio multicast reception capability, will be available in the spring on all 2007 3, 5, 6, and 7 Series models, as well as X3, X5, and Z4.

:brow :brad

Back