• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 14 January 2007

mika

Still Wondering
The motorcycling world viewed from the saddle of a BMW. A daily look at all things BMW, Euro-bike, products and things I find interesting on the internet. With links to news, reviews, events, riding skills, maintenance and racing series updates. Morning Reads is a one stop shop for motorcycling information.

TodayÔÇÖs Birthdays / Calendar

partygirltitlewithpic.gif

BMW MOA Chartered Club:

club: North East High Plains Drifters, #158
founded: 2/1/1986
384 S. Witham Rd.
Auburn, ME 04210 US
www.thevicarstoyshop.com

meetings: No meetings, no dues, no t-shirts, no fights; they just ride!
events: Spring Rally, June, call for location, date and time
Fall Rally, invitation only

Gem??tlichkeit is the warm, comfortable feeling
one receives from pleasant surroundings and atmosphere.
I think you will find that when you come here.

home_section_image.jpg

Visit Milwaukee.org has been the source for this past weeks sites. Visit the site yourself and see what else interests you.

Tmcnet: Farmland preservation going to voters ÔÇô Washington County considering buying development rights.

Ozaukee ÔÇô Washington Daily News

Fond Du Lac Reporter

The Sheboygan Press

Daily Citizen, Beaver Dam

Weather

West Bend WI
Current

10 Day Forcast

United States
National Oceanic & Atmospheric Administration

Canada
Meteorological Service of Canada

News:

Salcar

MotoLiam

Not much of a news day. Here is some car guy stuff, they are so easy to cover compared to bikes.

Techeblog.com: Jeremy Clarkson ÔÇô BMW ÔÇô video - In this Jeremy Clarkson segment, he pits the BMW M3 CSL against a 3.0 CSL.

Autospies.com: BMW SAVs will one be a hybrid?

Autospies.com: BMW regenerative braking model and this one is not a hyrbrid?

Autospies.com: X4 Crossover coupe

Carscoop.com: 1-series facelift video.

Timesonline.co.uk: Jeremy Clarkson continues to pass on the love he feels for BMW. This time it is the 335i SE Coupe. Something about a turd?

Germancarscene.com: Oldtime video of a civilian track day at Nurburg. Cars, bikes and some even stay upright.

Speedsportlife.com: Detroit Auto Show pictures.

eurocarblog.com: How big is the Porsche Panamera?

Jalopnik.com Paging Ponch and John

Feature:

Onewheeldrive.net: Ride Impressions ÔÇô Triumph Tiger.

The previous version of the Tiger had a small but loyal following. It was never the threat to the King of the Adventure hill that the GS and GS Adventure hold. It did not win the street going hearts of the press or riders as the GS did. It did hold down a tentative spot in both areas for Triumph.

The new Tiger has bolder strips even if it is lacking them in its paint scheme. Gone are the aspirations as an out of the box world traveler. That is left to the after market. The new Tiger was probably the sleeper of Intermot. The bike was met with something yawn. I see it as quietly stalking the back roads ready to take on BMW, Ducati and any other Super Motos other manufacturers produce and at a very competitive price point.

Compare the Tiger to the BMW GS with this early Cycle World riding impression of the 2005 BMW R1200GS.

Motorcycle Repair and Care:

r1150r.net: Front Suspension removal

Riding Skills:

Soundrider.com: Cornering Control ÔÇô Part 4, Weight and Balance

Sportrider.com: Braking - Street and Track

Technology:

flybook.biz: via GizmodoFlybook with mobile broadband another tankbag option.

Wonderings:

Saturday I putzed around the house and then went out to see who was around to play. I stopped at friends homes but no one was home. I went by my youngest daughterÔÇÖs home just in time to have lunch with them before they left as a family on an unexpected business trip with my son-in-law.

No one was available to play so I ended up doing the dealer loop near their home.

Three multi brand dealers in an area you could throw a large helmet over. It is a Saturday tire kickerÔÇÖs heaven. Normally my cover and excuse for the excursions is to look at helmets. In the process it is only reasonable that one would look at bikes also.
The first shop has Triumph, Ducati, Yamaha, Honda and a few more brands. After viewing the Ducs a red and white Triumph Scramble caught my eye. I kneeled down in the, I am taking a knowing look at some detail, position and told myself I could not buy a bike today. Just as the mantra was taking hold a 2006 ST carryover caught my eye.

I struggled to get up. Bad knees make it hard to pull off the cool guy move from model to model sometimes. Silver with matching bags the ST looked sleek and enticing. It was the non ABS model which is my preference. DANGER WILL ROBINSON They had already marked it down $1000. DANGER DANGER WILL ROBISON! I can not buy a bike today. I can not buy a bike today. I retreated to the helmet display to regain my composure.

The comment ÔÇ£I just looking at helmets todayÔÇØ will stave off all but the most determined sales person. It did not work on the young girl who was working the helmet area. She is new to motorcycle sales. Hired to work accessories and sell bikes to women she was having a slow day. For the next half hour the only thing that kept me from letting her part me from my money was my size 8 and a bit head. They did not have a helmet in stock that fit me. Telling her no I did not want to order one I took her card and escaped to the next dealer.

Many of you rave about your local Harley / Buell dealers and the customer service. I must have EUROPEAN BIKE RIDER tattooed on my forehead. I can walk into to one of these and no one talks to me. I swear I could start a bike up on the show room floor and they wouldnÔÇÖt look up from their cup of coffee. H-D dealerships are great places for me to collect my thoughts. After a tour of the bike showroom and a look at the ever growing stock of H-D branded stuff I went on to the BMW dealer.

I have been kicking tires at this dealers various locations since the late sixties. It has never been a BMW only dealer. If memory serves, they sold Brit bikes along with BMWs at one time. In addition to the BMW line they now have Kawasaki, Suzuki, various scooters snowmobiles and to my surprise Moto Guzzi bikes on the floor. They are a nice dealership, answer all my questions when asked, give my granddaughter cookies when she comes along on one of these excursions and leave me alone the rest of the time. It is a relationship that works well for me.

I had found a helmet that fit. It wasnÔÇÖt the color I wanted but the size worked. Maybe I would order one in the right color. I was taking it off when I spied a red MG Norge on a display riser. I put the helmet back and went for a look. DANGER WILL ROBINSONNI it spoke in broken Italian as I walked across the showroom floor. I like it. Lipstick red with just enough chrome silver and black to set my teenaged heart racing and like any teenaged boy when confronted by a beautiful girl I turned and ran into the used bike showroom. Bad move.

The used bike area is a long narrow affair. A salesman was selling used BMW 1200C to a couple. They were debating between two they had in their used inventory. The bike would be hers. The conversation between the couple left no doubt they would be buying a bike today. The husband already had his checkbook in hand. Which one of the two was the only question that remained? I walked farther into the used bikes and came to the part of the stock that just made the cut to remain on the floor. I had recovered. It was safe to go back now. I turned and then saw it. An elegant glowing German beauty I had not noticed when I burst into the used showroom to recover.

It is a 2004 R1150RS in two toned dark blue and frost blue. With less than 13k on the odometer she is barely broken in. Even sitting tucked shyly in a dark back corner of the area it glowed. It has system bags, a top case and tall wind screen. I saw some movement as I walked around it taking in every detail. Finally I had to leave. Did I tell you it glowed?

There is an old time salesman at this dealership. For years I have seen him when I come in for parts for the Roadster. We say hi. I think that is the only conversation that has ever passed between us. As I was leaving he walked up and briefly stopped me. ÔÇ£Give me a call when you decideÔÇØ was all he said as he handed me his card and I left.

Which to buy, is the question I asked myself as I slipped into the cage and started it up. Would I buy the stunning silver Triumph ST, the lipstick red MG Norge or the glowing RS was the question? At decision times like this, after weighing all the various factors we delude ourselves with in our decision process, it boils down to one question for me. Which one will I like best in five years? I have my doubts about the ST. The Norge, now that is a difficult one to answer. I will have to wonder about that for a while. The RS would be 8 years old then. Put a gun to my head and tell me I have to decide now; the answer is the RS.

WhatÔÇÖs to decide? I can not buy a bike. I need a job first. I will go back another day and buy the helmet. I need that. With luck the RS will be gone to a new owner with a heated garage.

This was one of those Saturdays that I should have made plans with friends.

Manufacturer of the Day:

CROCKER

Crocker Motorcycles ÔÇô Wikipedia
Crocker Motorcycle Co. homepage

Woot

Todays Woot

The Blog

Bike Candy:

122134770-L.jpg

Page 2

The Pit Crew View: Racing News:

WSB

Speedtv.com: WSB at Indianapolis in 2008?

F-1

Motoring.co.za: Toyota slow to pickup Ralf Schumacher contract talks.

Dakar 2007: Topix.net

Eurosport.com: Dakar ÔÇô stage eight live

Saturday - Rest Day

Team USA

KTM

AdvRider.com

cheche.jpg

The official Dakar 2007 website.

EuroSport.com: Live updates

Versus: Now that you too are hooked on the event here is the TV schedule for your 2007 Dakar viewing pleasure.

X-Raid.de: BMW X-Raid

Dakar Rally News via topix.net
NORTH AMERICAN ENTRANTS:

Here are the entrants from NA and their websites when available. This undoubtedly is an incomplete list and I will continue to refine it up to race time.

MOTORCYCLE

Chris Blais: Red Bull / KTM

Paul Broome: Honda

Terry Curtis - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

James Embro: Team SSC / JJE Constructors

Timothy Hall: Heatland Dakar 2007 / KTM

Sunny Irvine - Team Rally Raid Mexico / Yamaha

Christopher Jones: KTM

Mike Kary: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Steve Laroza: Team JJE Construcors / KTM

Casey McCoy: Rally Pan America / KTM

Brian Schumckle: Team RallySoCal / Husqvarna

Elmer Symons: Team SSC/JJE Constructors / KTM

Jonah Street: Pai-Rally Pan America / KTM

CARS

Ron Bailey Motorsports

Team Gordon

Volkswagen Motosport: Drivers Mark Miller / Ralf Pitchford

Team SMG: Divers ÔÇô Michael Peterson / Matthew Stevensen

TRUCKS

Thomas Geviss / Paul Mitchell: Team Gordon

Darren Skilton / Jose Grijalva / Hecotr Camachof

Here is another chance for you to do the digging: Google Directory: Dakar 2007, approximately 598 sites to mine. Have fun.

Dakar Motorcycle Entrants as of 5 OCT 2007 This appears to be a complete list of the motorcycle entrants.

PAGE 2: A Link to Events and Racing Calendars
Last update: December 17, 2006

Unless noted otherwise, I have no known commercial interest in any products, retailers or manufactures discussed in the Morning Reads. The links used in the Morning Reads are for informational use only. The use of all links is subject to the terms of use of the originating site.

THE END

What I learned from M!KA today!

Who is WILL ROBINSON? OK Mika I just don't know who or what is WILL ROBINSON.

About those Triumph bikes in today's post. I'm glad AMERICADE is in my back yard. Those Triumph bikes need a test drive. For those who have never been to the World's Largest Touring Rally all the manufacturers send a truckload or 2 or 3 or their latest and greatest bikes for test rides. The rides go about twenty miles and cover highway and back roads. No cost for the rides but you have to have an AMERICADE wristband to get into the dude ranch where all the manufactures are set up.

So the game plan is sit and the bikes at the Big GIG and test drive them at Lake George. :dance

OK - no hijack intended here back to WILL ROBINSON. Who or what is WILL ROBINSON? Sure I could GOOGLE it, but what's a forum for?

Danger Will Robinson

The key line in this description "about to make a stupid mistake"

:D

Blue laws in Minnesota do not allow dealers, motorcycle dealers that is, to be open on Sunday. I hope the fever passes.

:doh

Ah, the penalties of not being a TV watcher.

Have to confess that I never saw a single episode of Lost in Space. Maybe I can catch a rerun and meet the robot and WILL ROBINSON.

The things you learn from M1KA :laugh

Many of you rave about your local Harley / Buell dealers and the customer service. I must have EUROPEAN BIKE RIDER tattooed on my forehead. I can walk into to one of these and no one talks to me. I swear I could start a bike up on the show room floor and they wouldnÔÇÖt look up from their cup of coffee. H-D dealerships are great places for me to collect my thoughts. After a tour of the bike showroom and a look at the ever growing stock of H-D branded stuff I went on to the BMW dealer.

I have vowed to never go back into the local Harley shop, and it's because I have gotten the same treatment you have. I didn't have "European Bike Rider" tattooed on my forehead, but my mistakes were:

Riding in when it was around 45 degrees
Wearing Riding boots, firstgear overpants, Rev'It jacket (NO LEATHER, and surely no fringe)

I actually wanted to test ride a bike, because they were having one of their test ride events. I almost left because they kept helping the morons who drove in wearing their HD jackets. I was eventually helped (By a nice woman - I hope she got a job somewhere better), but then the manager wouldn't let me ride. No good reason, mind you.. just a load of excuses. As I put my helmet back on and fired up the BMW (angry with HD) I DID realize it was more the dealer, and less the brand. Still, I was never going to fit into their club.

I DID end up test riding a friends HD a few months later. The forward controls were confusing, I didn't enjoy the seating position, and it felt like I was riding a tank. Still, a good experience. :)

Will Robinson

M1ka:

You had me fooled with that too. I couldn't figure out if you'd spliced that piece in from somewhere else, but how could Will also happen to own a Roadster?

Anyway, after spending a few hours at the annual Calgary show last week, looking at all the new stuff, talking to Gary Eagan (what a great guy)at the Ducati display, the bike that really grabbed me was that Moto Guzzi Norge. I don't know why, but it just worked it's way into my head.

Anyway (part 2) you can't go wrong with the '04 RS you found. It's the best year, and it won't be that easy for them to sell, because it's the wrong time of the season, the 1150's are discontinued, and sport tourers are a low volume specialty item. So there's a good opportunity to do some creative negotiating: i.e. "I really like that RS but I'm really worried about the surging problem, and they're a b**ch to sell, even in the BMW community, which I am a member of...." His reply: "Oh but they fixed that in '04...." You: "No, not really, they just surge the least of all of them, but they still surge....."

I bought my 1,000 mile '02 RS from our local dealer for the equivalent of $13,000.00 U.S.

Go get 'em.

Rinty

M1ka:

Anyway (part 2) you can't go wrong with the '04 RS you found. It's the best year, and it won't be that easy for them to sell, because it's the wrong time of the season, the 1150's are discontinued, and sport tourers are a low volume specialty item. So there's a good opportunity to do some creative negotiating: i.e. "I really like that RS but I'm really worried about the surging problem, and they're a b**ch to sell, even in the BMW community, which I am a member of...." His reply: "Oh but they fixed that in '04...." You: "No, not really, they just surge the least of all of them, but they still surge....."

Rinty

Actually you need a 94 before they fixed them and made them surge. Mine does not have a the catalytic convertor or O2 sensor, never did, and has never surged.... ever.

I liked Penny

Nice story, So did you break down and buy the new chapo..:brad :brad

I missed something in M1KA's post

An internet radio show about motorcycle road racing.

The information that will (or is) available in this format could be overwhelming. No longer is a radio station building, transmitters,towers, FCC license, sales staff and over paid mega personalities necessary for a radio broadcast.

My local NPR station is WAMC in Albany, New York. I used to listen to it in London over the internet.

I used to chase DX stations when I was much more active as W2USN. Now the internet is used to chase DX. Amazing! :hungover

In the long run what will this do to the use of the radio spectrum? :brow

Maybe the internet is just an infant technology. It is not half as mature as I thought it was.

Back