• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Morning Reads: 10 October 2008

mika

Still Wondering
Happy Birthday

US Forest Service: Fall color guide

urbanext.uiuc.edu: The Miracle of Fall – About Fall Color

237640205_QxcZ4-M.jpg

hellforleathermagazine.com: Details- BMW standardizes indicator switches

cyclenews.com: WORCS to be AMA sanctioned

This could be interesting, stay tuned
roadracingwold.com: AMA Congress convenes in Ohio

A cage sites take on a neo-would-be classic
autoweek.com: Two-wheel lowdown – 2008 Triumph Bonneville

hemmings.com: another “BIG” motorcycle

Scroll down to the meat worth the trip to this link, the two take aways. “…devlop new road-going performance bikes that transcend existing competition-based archetypes..”
hellforleather.com: Honda shows bizarre V4 concept model, says it wants to make it.

Now imagine you a BMW designer who is going to head home after INTERMOT then return to the drafting table on Monday. Your projects are done and shown; new work for the future to begin. What thoughts are in your head for the future?

239852433_N2pgd-M.jpg

uk.reuters.com: Motor racing-BMW boss says Formula One needs to keep Canada GP

wheels.ca: Up to Ottawa to save Grand Prix, promoter says

240145212_YH7KT-M.jpg

bimmerfile.com: BMW Re-thinking sales plan

bimmerfile.com: BMW to temporarily close Leipzig

autoexpress.com: Compact X1’s big shock

classicrallies.com: Maserati Granturismo S debut

Futuristic designs are fascinating.
yankodesign.com: If you’re really into butterflies

I wonder how this 1018bhp monster will play with the Sussex constabulary.
europeanmotornews.com: Carbon fiber supercars debut at MPH featuring Top Gear
Faster than a Bugatti Veyron and almost twice the price, this ultra rare, 1018BHP Koenigsegg CCXR Edition – the fastest European production car ever – is coming to the UK

motorauthority.com: DuPont Registry picks 11 best vehicles

If you are a fan of the prancing horse put some plastic over the keyboard to protect it from drool after you follow this link
supercars.net: 2008 Ferrari Racing Days Nurburgring Gallery

Another Gullwing video via Mercedes
If I am not mistaken Bill Gates is in the crowd in on of the airport sceens

<object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://fpdownload.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=9,0,16,0" width="496" height="309" id="fullscreen" align="middle"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true" /><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always" /><param name="movie" value="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=637&channelId=0&lang=en" /><param name="bgcolor" value="#333333" /><embed src="http://iptv.mercedes-benz.tv/player.swf?clipId=637&channelId=0&lang=en" allowFullScreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#333333" width="496" height="309" name="fullscreen" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer" /></object>

BMW Mille Miglia Concept Coupe

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/XYszCnxbp7g&hl=en&fs=1"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/XYszCnxbp7g&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>

238372499_822h9-M.jpg

MotherShip News is on Page 2

237925770_HoJge-XL.jpg

Stuff

Holly, what did you do to the economy when you were in Iceland?
ft.com: Iceland suspends trading after bank seizures

There is a bit of humor in this piece. Take a look at the date line location.
reuters.com: Expect severe winter in East: forecaster

gizmag.com: HiPER nuclear fusion project underway

The following has a ghoulish title, perhaps for Halloween. The article offers an alternative of using sweat. This led me to wonder what the impact would be on the deodorant industry. Would it crash? Would it lobby to stop this development? Would there be conspiratorial movies made about this in the future. (Another movie genre I like) Then I had another sip of coffee, scrolled down and found the rest of the article interesting.
Howstuffworks.com: Could blood be used to power batteries?

yankodesign.com: When a buildings skin ripples

boingboing.net: Today at Boing Boing Gadgets

reuters.com: For sale: Yourself in legos

182526939_JkRJz-Ti.jpg

Packers Blog – jsonline.com
Packers.com – News from the football shrine
Green Bay Post Gazette: Packer News, Commentary

Offical site of the Premier League

GasBuddy.com has gas temperature maps intended to let you see what gas prices are around the US and Canada. Areas are color coded according to the reported local average price for regular unleaded gasoline.
US
Canada

Wonderings

reuters.com: How safe is your city? Put it to the bicycle test.

This article could send me in several directions of wondering. The one that I will take is to wonder about Minneapolis Minnesota and where to rank it.

On a Monday night as an undergrad at the U of Mn I rode my 10 speed to a friend’s home. It was a student rental home near Oak and Washington. I say was because the location house is now a street after redevelopment of the area, but I digress as usual. I chained my bike to the rear bumper of his VW Karmann Ghia and went inside. We worked on a joint presentation (no pun intended) and then settled back to watch Monday Night Football and enjoyed a few long necks along with Dandy Don and the gang.

I don’t remember all the details of the bike. It was nothing fancy even for its day. The thing that appealed to me was it was a 28 inch large frame, like me. Constructed with the same tubing as the normal bike the extra size did not add that much weight but increased the comfort for me. It was my daily ride on campus leaving cars and motorcycles for the weekends.

Sometime after the witching hour I pulled myself together and headed outside for the ride back to my apartment. No bike. The nice big chain, now sawn through, and big bullet proof master lock lay on the ground below the bumper like a metallic turd.

Right now Minneapolis ranks low on the How Safe is Your City chart.

Fast forward fifteen years.

Life went on and found me living in Park Ridge IL. I came home from work on a Wednesday night and called my folks back in Lilydale. We were planning a pilgrimage for some family event. There were logistics to work out. We, two adults and two children then 4 and 7 (already the founding members of my pit crew), would be ‘camping’ in the living room of the Lilydale family condo for an extended weekend. We would arrive very late Friday night after the 400+ mile drive. The next day would be spent helping mother prepare for the event while my father played with the kids. Saturday evening the rest of the family and a few friends would descend on Lilydale and we would have a wonderful time. We would recover on Sunday and drive back to Park Ridge at our leisure Monday. With plans made the phone call wound down to goodbyes, then mother added a tag line.

‘John, remind me to give you a letter we received for you. It’s from the Minneapolis Police.’

I said yes and the call ended. In an instant I fell like a child that was going to be grounded. I had no idea what this letter could be about. Was it some error of a miss spent youth coming back to haunt me. I made some mental notes about how to clear my calendar for the following week and made certain to pack my address book where I had the phone number of a friend in the Twin Cities who is an attorney.

The gathering was wonderful. Family, friends and food were all wonderful. We sprawled out of the condo onto the yard. Talked, played games and all in all had a splendid time.

Sunday was devoted clean up and more play. At one point I found myself in the kitchen with my mother laughing and chatting while doing dishes. It was just the two of us and therefore a perfect time to ask about the letter. Suddenly I was that child about to be grounded again. She dried he hands went to the mail cubby pulled the letter out and handed it to me.

The return address on the envelope showed that it was indeed a letter from the Minneapolis Police. I opened it and withdrew the one page letter. The image of a judge cautiously opening the folded up jury sentence and then reading it to the defendant flashed through my mind.

The letter itself was some what cryptic. The header was longer than the body. In business form it contained my address and below that re: and listed two case numbers on separate lines. The body itself was simple. I was required to appear at a precinct house in Minneapolis off Lake Street before a certain date. After that date further actions would be taken. The letter ended.

I was familiar with the area around the precinct house. My only association with that area was summer nights spent cursing and street racing back in the day. Was some error, other than the ones I could remember, coming back to haunt me?

Monday morning my then wife and I got in the car for a ride to Minneapolis. I told the children that we were going shopping which instantly took as a chance to spew a list of toys and things that we neeeeeded to secure for them or their young lives could not go on.

On the Mendota Bridge as we crossed the Minnesota River I handed my wife the letter and made my confession, excuses and my first plea for leniency. I figured I need the practice for what could come. She became stoic and very quiet. This did not afford me, the soon to be condemned man, any comfort.

We found the precinct house, an old two story two stall fire station converted to police use and parked making certain not to violate any parking regulations. We entered through a door to the left of the massive garage doors and walked into a smallish room with a desk on the far side with an officer on the far side seated reading the news paper. I walked up to the desk like a condemned man and handed the officer the letter.

Without saying a word he read the letter then went to a file cabinet pulled out a file and then sat back at the desk and shuffled through the contained paper work.

‘I owe ______ five bucks. I didn’t think you’d show up, it’s been fifteen years. Follow me’

He got up and headed through a door to my right. I found myself following him with my hands put forward and wrist together expecting at any moment to have hand cuffs slapped around them. I walked through the door into the garage bay and into a sea of bicycles neatly parked in cramped multiple rows that filled the space formerly occupied by fire trucks.

Confused, I walked to the officer who was struggling with one of the bikes.

‘We pulled a guy over for public drunkenness while riding a bike. He went to jail and when we processed the bike. There was enough of the old bicycle registration sticker left for us to process it and find out it was a stolen bike. We notify the owners and if they don’t show up to get’em we sell them at auction. The auction is this Saturday. I didn’t think you would show.’

It took me a few minutes to clear my head and recognize the bike as the one stolen on a Monday night long ago during college days.

I worked my way through college. During the normal college year I worked for the university parking services. I was a parking attendant, part time dispatcher and meter maid. It was located in the basement of the university police station near Memorial Stadium. I had taken the advice of one of the police dispatchers and registered my bike in the then optional state bicycle registration program. I listed my parents address as my permanent address on the form because I moved so often during my college years.

Trying to get my mind around what had happened I made some comment about this must be some sort of record.

‘No. Your 18 months short of the record.’

I remember filling out a bit of paper work and then loading the bike into the trunk of the car. I opened the driver’s door to get in and was greeted by a look of rebuke from my wife and then peals of laughter, at my expense, which would recur for days after.

The bike made the trip back to Park Ridge strapped to the back bumper. The trunk was full of our personal belongings and toys that my father had purchased for the girls on their shopping spree while I was avoiding going to jail and recovering the bike.

The bike was in sad shape, not even close to the bike I remembered. It found a new home with the son of our babysitter. Her son was going off to college. He restored the bike to working order and took it with him.

I wonder where we should rank Minneapolis on the How Safe is Your City list.

As I finish this story I wonder where that bicycle is well over thirty years since it was taken from chained to the back of a Kharmann Ghia. Logic would suggest that it has been relegated to some bicycle salvage and parted out. Yet in my minds eye the oversize framed bike is being ridden by some giant economy size student attending an unknown college on his way to class.

I hope he has a better chain.

Bike Candy

Mine was RED

troy-1973-schwinn-world-voyageur-01.jpg

Image via oldtenspeedgallery.com

THE END

Page 2

Opinion:

If you read the Bimmer postings in Cage Welt you know things are tough at BMW. The following press release from BMW is rumored to have a follow up today with speeches about new plans and directions.

The news in some of the segments is good. The MINI and Rolls-Royce Motorcars segments are showing strong gains particularly in light of the current economic conditions. In addition the BMW Motorcycle segment showed gains in September.

BMW Motorcycles grow by 1.8% in September
Despite difficult market conditions the Motorcycles Segment saw sales increase in September from the previous year's high level. BMW Motorrad sold 7,802 (prev.yr.: 7,661/+1.8%) motorcycles during the month. For the year to the end of September sales fell 2.5% to 80,750 units (prev.yr. 82,779).

The introduction of the F-GS in the North American market and the early sales of G450 no can be credited for this no doubt. However; in the big on going picture some of this may be 2008 robbing 2009 and we could be looking at dismal numbers again in the next business year.

I have yet to tap into information the Husqvarna information stream and have no information to pass along regarding how they are fairing in all of this.

238372499_822h9-M.jpg

BMW GROUP REPORTS WORLDWIDE SALES INCREASE FOR YEAR TO SEPTEMBER
10/08/2008

Deliveries up 1.7% to 1.11 million automobiles
September marked by consumer reluctance
Many new models presented in Paris

Munich. The BMW Group was able to increase its sales volume for the year to the end of September 2008 by 1.7% compared to the previous year. Global deliveries reached a total of 1,113,972 automobiles (prev.yr. 1,094,849). The BMW brand accounted for 928,230 of the vehicles delivered (prev.yr.: 929,379 / -0.1%), while 184,915 were MINI brand vehicles (prev.yr.: 164,891 / +12.1%). From January to September of this year, Rolls-Royce Motor Cars delivered 827 vehicles to customers, thereby achieving a gain of 42.8% (prev.yr.: 579).

As far as individual models are concerned, the BMW 1 Series (+52.0%), in particular, reported strong growth in the first nine months of 2008, driven primarily by the Convertible and Coup?® versions introduced early in the year. By the end of September, 173,772 (prev.yr.: 114,330) BMW 1 Series had been delivered to customers. Other growth drivers were the BMW X5 and the BMW X6 with a combined total of 107,297 (+33.2% / prev.yr. 80,540) units. The BMW 3 Series Convertible also experienced strong growth with 46,471 (prev.yr.: 38,912 / +19.4%) units sold, as well as the BMW 6 Series Coup?® with 6,949 (prev.yr.: 6,859 / +1.3%) units. With model changes for the 3 Series Sedan and the BMW 3 Series Touring in late September, sales of both predecessor models for the first nine months of the year were, as expected, below the previous year's high level, at 257,489 (prev.yr.: 314,009 / -18.0%) units. The extensively revised new models will boost growth over the next few months. The same applies to the new BMW 7 Series, which will be delivered to customers starting 15 November.

September marked by consumer reluctance in the United States and Western Europe; continued growth in the emerging markets
Faced with the increasingly challenging economic situation in the United States and Western Europe, the BMW Group reported an overall decline in sales in September of 14.6% to 121,621 units (prev.yr.: 142,357). The BMW brand reported 98,874 sales in the month under review and as such is down 16.4% from the same month last year (118,310) in a monthly comparison.
In its largest sales market, the United States, deliveries fell 25.8% to 18,506 (prev.yr.: 24,933) automobiles. The BMW brand saw sales decrease 29.5% to 14,744 automobiles (prev.yr.: 20,901). The crisis in the financial markets is currently making consumers highly reluctant to purchase, especially in the United States, albeit another factor has been the planned reallocation of vehicles originally intended for the USA to markets with higher profit margins.

In Western Europe BMW Group sales also declined in September as a result of the economic downturn (74,231 units / -16.9%). Nevertheless, with 637,018 units sold, absolute sales figures to the end of September are 2.1% higher than those for the same period last year (624,080 units). Trends in the emerging markets again remained positive in September - although they could not entirely offset the decline in the mature volume markets of Western Europe and the United States. The BMW Group experienced its highest rates of growth in Eastern Europe: especially in Russia, with a gain of 27.5% (1,813 / prev.yr.: 1,422). In South America deliveries also rose significantly to reach a total of 1,026 vehicles (+21.9% / prev.yr.: 842); likewise in China with 6,703 (+16.5% / prev.yr.: 5,755) and India with 294 automobiles sold (+61.5% / prev.yr.: 182).

"The situation remains challenging: The recent escalation in the financial crisis is also affecting consumer confidence in the premium-segment," according to Ian Robertson, Member of the Board of Management of BMW AG responsible for Sales and Marketing. "However, we do expect the current weakness in demand to pass over time. With many new highly-efficient models being launched in the next months, we are well equipped for the future."

Numerous premieres in Paris
At the current Paris Motor Show, the BMW Group is presenting a range of new models and technologies which will help drive growth over the next years: The new BMW 7 Series, the revised BMW 3 Series Sedan and Touring models, the BMW Concept X1 and the MINI Crossover Concept. A concept study of the BMW 7 Series, with an integrated electric engine as an auxiliary drive, is also being showcased: the BMW 7 Series ActiveHybrid. The BMW Group's first series-produced hybrid vehicle, the BMW X6 ActiveHybrid, will be launched on the market next year.

MINI makes significant gains over the first nine months
Global deliveries of MINI brand vehicles climbed 12.1% to reach a total of 184,915 vehicles (prev.yr.: 164,891) for the year to the end of September. Most notably, the MINI Clubman, which was newly introduced this year, has already secured 36,129 buyers and thus increased its share of MINI brand vehicles sold to almost 22%. For the month of September the MINI brand was down 5.5% on the same month last year with 22,618 vehicles sold. With 3,762 (prev.yr.: 4,032) vehicles delivered in the month under review, sales in the United States, also declined. The 6.7% decrease is due to low inventories. Overall, demand for the premium small car is still exceptionally strong. For the full year, the brand aims to achieve a new global sales high of more than 240,000 units.

Rolls-Royce still on success course
Sales of the Rolls-Royce brand continued their positive trend: 129 vehicles were delivered to customers in September. This represents growth of 7.5% and brings the total of Rolls-Royce sold since the start of this year to 827 automobiles (+42.8% compared to previous year).

BMW Motorcycles grow by 1.8% in September
Despite difficult market conditions the Motorcycles Segment saw sales increase in September from the previous year's high level. BMW Motorrad sold 7,802 (prev.yr.: 7,661/+1.8%) motorcycles during the month. For the year to the end of September sales fell 2.5% to 80,750 units (prev.yr. 82,779).

BMW Group sales in/up to September 2008 at a glance
In September 2008 Comp. with previous year Up to and incl. September 2008 Comp. with previous year
BMW Group Automobiles 121,621 -14.6% 1,113,972 +1.7%
BMW 98,874 -16.4% 928,230 -0.1%
MINI 22,618 -5.5% 184,915 +12.1%
Rolls-Royce 129 +7.5% 827 +42.8%
BMW Motorcycles 7,802 +1.8% 80,750 -2.5%

worldofbmw.com: On a mission in the Americas

TED: John Markoff ÔÇô Why newspapers still matter

<!--cut and paste--><object classid="clsid:d27cdb6e-ae6d-11cf-96b8-444553540000" codebase="http://download.macromedia.com/pub/shockwave/cabs/flash/swflash.cab#version=8,0,0,0" width="432" height="285" id="VE_Player" align="middle"><param name="movie" value="http://static.videoegg.com/ted2/flash/loader.swf"><PARAM NAME="FlashVars" VALUE="bgColor=FFFFFF&file=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/movies/JohnMarkoff_2007P_high.flv&autoPlay=false&fullscreenURL=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/fullscreen.html&forcePlay=false&logo=&allowFullscreen=true"><param name="quality" value="high"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><param name="bgcolor" value="#FFFFFF"><param name="scale" value="noscale"><param name="wmode" value="window"><embed src="http://static.videoegg.com/ted2/flash/loader.swf" FlashVars="bgColor=FFFFFF&file=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/movies/JohnMarkoff_2007P_high.flv&autoPlay=false&fullscreenURL=http://static.videoegg.com/ted/flash/fullscreen.html&forcePlay=false&logo=&allowFullscreen=true" quality="high" allowScriptAccess="always" bgcolor="#FFFFFF" scale="noscale" wmode="window" width="432" height="285" name="VE_Player" align="middle" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" pluginspage="http://www.macromedia.com/go/getflashplayer"></object>

Wonderings

reuters.com: How safe is your city? Put it to the bicycle test.

This article could send me in several directions of wondering. The one that I will take is to wonder about Minneapolis Minnesota and where to rank it.

On a Monday night as an undergrad at the U of Mn I rode my 10 speed to a friend...
Fast forward fifteen years.

‘John, remind me to give you a letter we received for you. It’s from the Minneapolis Police.’

‘I owe ______ five bucks. I didn’t think you’d show up, it’s been fifteen years. Follow me’

It took me a few minutes to clear my head and recognize the bike as the one stolen on a Monday night long ago during college days.

As I finish this story I wonder where that bicycle is well over thirty years since it was taken from chained to the back of a Kharmann Ghia. Logic would suggest that it has been relegated to some bicycle salvage and parted out. Yet in my minds eye the oversize framed bike is being ridden by some giant economy size student attending an unknown college on his way to class.

I hope he has a better chain.

THE END[/size][/url]

What a wonderful story :clap

Thank you.

The article brought back a now fond memory. The memoryÔÇÖs recurrence made chuckle. In itself, the telling of the story was fun to write. That you enjoyed it adds to the pleasure.

Thank you again.

Iceland Economy

Honestly, we did our very best to prop up the economy when we were in Iceland. Paying off my credit card is going to be truly painful at the end of the month.

The 3 banks were really overreaching and it was inevitable a small country like Iceland would not be able to absorb the impact of this reality check. Of course the only Icelandic Nobel Laureate, Halld??r Laxness, wrote about this sort of boom and bust cycle in the book which won him the Nobel prize, Independent People.
You'd think that the most literate people in the world would have learned from history but hope springs eternal....

Holly

Back