• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Montana travelers beware

I recently had an experience while on my way to Canada at Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula. I had new tires (Michelin GT) and a 6K service done on my 2022 1600B.
I was shocked when the service manager (Buster McDonald) presented me with a $1600 invoice. That also included a $35 charge to put a ram mount ball which involved removing and replacing 1 screw. A 2 minute job. I was also charged $35 to have them tell me an accessory I asked to have installed was the wrong part. I confirmed later the part was correct. I tried several times to discuss this with the service manager but he never returned my call after I left 4 messages. Here is a breakdown of the charges. Tires-$727 Install tires-$192 6K Service w/ brake flush $556. Remember their is no sales tax in Montana. Of course all the other charges as shop supplies, tire and oil disposals were added. I have traveled the country for the last 15 years (5 BMW’s) and have had tires and service done many times on the road. Never once was I gouged as I was by Big Sky Motorsports. I believe they are the only BMW Motorrad dealer in Montana. Check their pricing first if you you are going to have work done there. You would think a BMW dealer would be more consistent to what other dealers charge and have the courtesy to return a call.

.... Check their pricing first if you you are going to have work done there. You would think a BMW dealer would be more consistent to what other dealers charge and have the courtesy to return a call.

I can appreciate your Frustration, 41153! The Times, they are a’changin.

That’s the trouble then, isn’t it. You're out there on a X-country ADVenture on your Motorrad Machine. You were absolutely Lucky to get a service appointment - ANYWHERE, these days. Too few dealers & too few qualified mechanics. If ya want ready & available service, guess it’s time to buy a Harley? They have many dealerships mostly everywhere across the country! :idea

So Much For Brand Loyalty. It’s simply a matter of space & time. The BMW dealers are in High Demand circa 2023; the question is can they fit a needy wanderer into their service schedule?

Such is the life of a Loyal BMW Owner in North ‘Merica anymore.

We Feel Your Anguish.

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

Appointment Scheduled

Hi Phil and Karen
I made the appointment 3 weeks in advance and confirmed the week before. I was told they give priority to travelers. Now I know why.

Philip

How many more places are you going to complain about what you feel was an unjust invoice? Did you not have to sign a work order or good faith estimate in advance, as is normal practice at every car and bike dealer I've been to in years? Did you ask any questions in advance?

If its that easy install it yourself . You learned a lesson today . Plan and ask a shop for the total bill , and if you do not like it move on .
I travel the US and no one services my rides except for me . Even with a flat I've taken the wheel off and give it to a shop to install a new tire .
Things are getting high , and no relief in sight .

My advice, learn to service yourself, YouTube is your friend. Of course, that's a bit harder while on the road. But things like an oil change couldn't be easier and can be done in any parking lot. Second, look for independent shops, For example, in my town if you buy the tires from them they charge $125 for both axles. If you pull the wheels yourself it's free. Any shop that services motorcycles can do basic service work.

The only time I had a dealer install a tire on my bike (K1200LT) was in Medford OR and I took the wheel off myself and remounted it too.
I guess they were not used to an LT rider doing this :rofl:rofl as all I paid for was the tire and they tossed mounting in for free... That was many moons ago and times have changed.
Since then I do tires on the road myself as it got too pricey having things done..
I would try to do as much as possible before leaving home and do the rest yourself on the road if needed. YMMV

I always wonder if the work was done in a satisfactory fashion when I see a posting like this.

Especially nowadays, it’s tough to get good service work done- at any price.

There was a time long ago where the intersection of “cheapest, fastest and best” intersected. It was usually a repair shop where the owner was involved/doing the work.

It doesn’t seem possible for that business model to survive anymore. :gerg

OM

OP, that's quite the invoice they handed you.

I've had to make last minute appts in SD with the BMW dealer in Sturgis while traveling. I called the day before I arrived needing low beams replaced two years in a row. They said be there at 8am. I was, they brought the bike in and had me on the road in under 30 minutes. Bill came to 42.00, I was expecting it to be 100.00+ and would have been happy to pay it.

They're one of only two bmw motorcycle dealers in SD. I couldn't be happier with the Sturgis people. Understood the need to get me in, didn't gouge me [ not that I expected them to ] and were all smiles at the counter. The guy who serviced the bike came out and spoke to me personally as I was about to ride off.

Don't people get quotes for work ahead of time?

The tire change pricing is right in there what a HD dealer would change for a bagger, probably less! I haven't priced HD tires for some time, but 5-6 years ago the tires would have been $600 plus two hours labor, so another $200+.

The OP's prices seem a bit high, but not crazy high, maybe 10% from what I see.

I would like to know what the OP expected to pay for that service.

One of the big gripes I have about labor charges is it doesn't take two hours with decent equipment to change two tires. I have done it myself on my HD bagger or my RT in just over an hour and I don't have a powered tire machine. I watch a HD bagger come in and they slapped on two tires in 45 minutes and charged the owner two hours for the privilege. That I have issues with.

None of my rides see the dealer shop very often, warranty work of things I just do not have the tools for get done at the dealer. Tires, oil, valve checks and the other day I lubed the driveshaft splines myself.

I can understand that on the road you probably are not changing tires and rely on a shop for that. On the other hand if I have a trip coming up I will slap on a new set of tires so I don't have to deal with them on the road.

I can understand that on the road you probably are not changing tires and rely on a shop for that. On the other hand if I have a trip coming up I will slap on a new set of tires so I don't have to deal with them on the road.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

I do think the OP was overcharged for R&R the RAM ball and the assessment on the accessory. But I have never understood the concept of starting off on a trip with a tire that I didn’t feel would make the trip—something that’s always a point of discussion just before the National, with people planning on riding the last wear out of their tires on the way to the rally. I’d much sooner spend the money at home or with my local dealer rather than spend it at an unknown vendor somewhere down the road. Having said that, I have purchased tires on the road in cases where I’ve left home on new rubber and used up a tire before getting home—Whitehorse, AK comes to mind—but always pinned down the specific tire and pricing before proceeding to flash the CC.

No shade on the OP here, as the story as outlined doesn’t reveal enough info or circumstance to make that sort of assessment, but perhaps the real takeaways here are not just a dealer to be cautious with, but also some reflection on what factors ought to be considered when pre-planning then executing a trip.

Best,
DeVern

Like others have said, did you ask for an estimate first?
Did you not know up front what the cost of the tires were?
I don’t think the 6K service with brake flush was overpriced.
Don’t start out on a trip with marginal tires.

Could you have pushed the 6K service until you returned home?

You must have known that you’d be looking for tires sometime after you left home, and that your 6K mileage would be due. You should have had both done at home at a dealer you’re comfortable with, not just for the pricing, but the peace of mind you’d have on your trip that everything was ship-shape AND you wouldn’t be scrambling for an appointment someplace.

Just ordered a new set of tires. $300 shipped to my door. Been changing/balancing tires for over twenty years now.

Learn a new skill and save a ton of money.

I recently had an experience while on my way to Canada at Big Sky Motorsports in Missoula. I had new tires (Michelin GT) and a 6K service done on my 2022 1600B.
I was shocked when the service manager (Buster McDonald) presented me with a $1600 invoice. That also included a $35 charge to put a ram mount ball which involved removing and replacing 1 screw. A 2 minute job. I was also charged $35 to have them tell me an accessory I asked to have installed was the wrong part. I confirmed later the part was correct. I tried several times to discuss this with the service manager but he never returned my call after I left 4 messages. Here is a breakdown of the charges. Tires-$727 Install tires-$192 6K Service w/ brake flush $556. Remember their is no sales tax in Montana. Of course all the other charges as shop supplies, tire and oil disposals were added. I have traveled the country for the last 15 years (5 BMW’s) and have had tires and service done many times on the road. Never once was I gouged as I was by Big Sky Motorsports. I believe they are the only BMW Motorrad dealer in Montana. Check their pricing first if you you are going to have work done there. You would think a BMW dealer would be more consistent to what other dealers charge and have the courtesy to return a call.

I would be disappointed as well if I received that level of service at that price. Thanks for posting your experience. And ignore those who want to make it about you. They can't help themselves.

Freaking robbery. Did they use vaseline at least?

I can appreciate your Frustration, 41153! The Times, they are a’changin.

That’s the trouble then, isn’t it. You're out there on a X-country ADVenture on your Motorrad Machine. You were absolutely Lucky to get a service appointment - ANYWHERE, these days. Too few dealers & too few qualified mechanics. If ya want ready & available service, guess it’s time to buy a Harley? They have many dealerships mostly everywhere across the country! :idea

So Much For Brand Loyalty. It’s simply a matter of space & time. The BMW dealers are in High Demand circa 2023; the question is can they fit a needy wanderer into their service schedule?

Such is the life of a Loyal BMW Owner in North ‘Merica anymore.

We Feel Your Anguish.[/SIZE]
Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Phil & HSV-Karen
USAF-Ret'd — & — USN-Ret’d

'75 R90S ————— '82 R100CS
’09 KLX250S ——— ’08 CRF230L
'14 K16GT ———— '16 R1200RS
’05 Vespa 200L
:beer

it would be cheaper to ship it home or to a dealer(or rent a Uhaul) that charged reasonable rates.

^^^^^^^^THIS^^^^^^

But I have never understood the concept of starting off on a trip with a tire that I didn’t feel would make the trip—something that’s always a point of discussion just before the National, with people planning on riding the last wear out of their tires on the way to the rally. I’d much sooner spend the money at home or with my local dealer rather than spend it at an unknown vendor somewhere down the road.

We went on a trip this summer, 4,500 miles. I checked the tire tread depth and they probably would have made it, the rear was well better than half thread, the front better yet. I wasn't taking chances and replaced both tires in my shop the week before. The two tires will go back on when the current set gets bald.

And?

You're complaining about a bill for service from a BMW dealership? Don't you remember they have to toe the BMW boutique/experience line of Corporate and so have to charge way more money. Your bill is in line with what I would expect from an authorized BMW dealership.

Oh yeah, I started a forum thread regarding my last BMW product. St.

Over charge for tire replacement

I agree that it is higher than normal. I've experienced low $300's for replacing both tires, exclusive of the tire cost. I guess I'm going to have to consider myself lucky. I take a 2 week trip each year on my XR "Snow" from the Tacoma area of Washington State. This year I'd planned on a 5 day run along the Cascade Hwy and on into Salida, CO, where I would visit with friends for a couple of days then head back, perhaps on a different route. I had about 3-4/32nds on rear tire and 3/32nds on front tire so purchased tires from Big Sky and made appointment to have them installed on day 3 of the run. When I flew from the east coast to the west coast, I caught a bad cold on the flight and was too sick to make the trip. By the time I felt well enough to get on the bike, there wasn't enough time to see my friends in CO and back, while having fun making the trip. I just took day trips around Olympic Park area and Mr. Rainier. When I cancelled with Big Sky, they had to charge me a 15% fee on the cost of the tires because they didn't have them and had to bring them in. I considered that reasonable but I never did ask what they would charge to install the tires and I would have been really pissed off to pay over $700 for that. I think I'm with the majority that travels over the road that might not have asked but after reading this gentleman's story, I will in the future.

snow_olalla_10aug23.jpg

Back