• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Monolever Axle question

justabill

I have been plugging away at my rebuild project for a while and am just getting the bits back on the frame.

Currently beginning the front suspension, and I have run into an issue. The axle just will not go into the right slider.

This is an '85 mono lever with the axle part number 36311454950.

At first, I assumed it was alignment and fiddled a bit with no luck. eventually I just tried to get the axle into the right side without going through the left and it is not going to happen. Measuring the axle, the right end is 24.9mm in diameter. I am guessing my slider is in the same neighborhood, but don't have a good tool for measuring inside diameters.

The axle will go in if I use some force, but it's just not feeling right. It will certainly not spin in the slider once it's in if I force it.

Searching everywhere, I can't find the specifics of the axle clearance on the right fork for a mono lever. If anybody has a reference, I would appreciate it.

Clymer's and the BMW repair manual are coming up empty here.

Upon closer inspection, the end of the sliders were pinched creating a smaller than needed opening. Not an axle problem.

giving up for the evening before I do something dumb.

Looking at it today, it appears that the pinch bolt was tightened at some point with the axle not fully installed. This is all I can come up with for the mild deformation.

IMG_2884.jpeg

I was able to wedge it open enough to get a washer to interfere with the pinch bolt path, and use that to apply force against the mating surface by threading the bolt in from the back side. Some gentle persuasion over a few minutes and the axle is now able to spin snuggly in the slider.

Frame-02-01-2024-12-11-34.jpeg

Hopefully, I am not being visited by the screw up fairy for this...

Very good detective work. I've never done a frame up restoration on a bike, but I've had my share of used ones where I've found messed up things so odd you just have to wonder what was going on in that bike's history. Some people should lose a finger every time they touch a tool. :hide

Back