• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

MOA-StPaul Rally: Neighborhood FYI

beer&liqour etc..

Of course BMW riders do not mix riding and alcohol. But there are several options to get 'a little something' for the campground...

Riders exiting i94 at Snelling north: within the very first block on the right/east is the large BigTop Wines&Spirits. Good prices, a handy stop because it's next to the Rainbow Foods supermarket ..thus easy to pick up snacks or beverages in one it's-right-there stop. Arriving riders may not have much room to tote groceries until they've registered and set-up camp ..but I mention it as a quick mental-refresh-stop to at least scope it out (to later compare to nearer-rally options) or just stretch one's legs before the final 2 miles up Snelling to rally.

Nearest the fairgrounds are Merwin's diagonally across the Larpenteur/Snelling intersection between Dino's Gyros and JimmyJohn's (awkward riding access). MGM Wine&Spirits is a bit further east on Larpenteur in the strip mall including Cub Foods (was Rainbow until 19July, has small liquor annex), O'Reilly's Auto Parts, Papa John's Pizza, Snuffy's Malt Shop.

~ Actually, this post is my excuse to link these fotos: a BMW sidecar pilot owns the very well-stocked nicely-muraled South Lyndale Liquors (at 53rd St) in Mpls, 10 miles away via i35W south (you don't wanna ride that), so not near the rally at all, though it is along the scenic Minnehaha Parkway and Mpls lakes ride-around. I mention it only because he and his riding companion graciously hosted the NewYear's day 2014 I-Cycle Derby:album [3F temp] ;)

Duane S

Last edited:
Last edited:
FWIW, today I'm hauling stuff to fairgrounds to help set-up Airheads Central tent [Simple-by-Choice]

..ah, the MN weather: now climbing to 93?F .."combined with oppressive dew points in the middle to upper 70s will result in heat indices ranging from 100 to 110 degrees" :( ..which may be followed by thunderstorms and damaging winds after midnight ...but then returning to 81hi/61lo for Wed~Sat rally days ;)

[Tu22July edit] Although MSP got the Monday 93F and 76F dew point, it was quiet overnight: the forecast rain and high winds (69mph?) hit north/central MN instead.

Last edited:
(riders use Larpenteur north-side entry/exit,

Just want to be sure: Use the Larpenteur entrace---not Hoyt street entrance??? I realize they're near to each other--just don't want to get into a street and be turned around... Mac

fyi at rally?

I've no color printer, but will try to print some of the 'Neighborhood FYI' info-graphics or text for reference at Hospitality booth (3-ring binder?). Original intent was simply: riders download album JPGs or copy/paste/printout whichever bits may prove handy for off-line riding reference.

Duane S: pre-rally 2014 Bearded Lady m/c show

That photo nearly hurt to look at - seriously a Royal Vacuum fuel tank?

Thanks for the routing help. I didn't print it, but I read it through it ahead of time and used your suggestion. Ayr Mills was a pretty great street and it also helped me spot the "Neighborhood Cafe" which makes a pretty awesome breakfast.

That photo nearly hurt to look at - seriously a Royal Vacuum fuel tank?

Thanks for the routing help. I didn't print it, but I read it through it ahead of time and used your suggestion. Ayr Mills was a pretty great street and it also helped me spot the "Neighborhood Cafe" which makes a pretty awesome breakfast.

Don't hold that photo against the rest of us :laugh:laugh

Ayd Mill Road (the forgotten freeway) is the route I use all the time, and still haven't had the opportunity to try the Neighborhood Cafe...keep thinking I have to try it....

Back