• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Mid-South ride, eat, and meet

Been looking at recent text on this thread. I seem to be having a problem putting my thoughts in proper sequence and context. Must be old timers syndrome.:snore

More Riding is a Good Thing

Thx, Time for a comeback; the new year is almost here. One of my new years wish; is a lot of safe enjoyable motorcycle rides. :burnout

Polar Bear Ride

Any riders in the Memphis/Mid-South area looking to ride:
January 1, 2024
Group meets at Circle K/Shell Wolfchase 10:00 Depart 10:30
8140 US Highway 64 Bartlett, Tn.
Ride to Shelby Forest General Store 77 Benjestown Rd. , Millington, Tn. 38053
Then on to the boat ramp on the Mississippi River at Meeman-Shelby Forest State Park on the North Road.

The Ride From the West

This ride to the river comes from the east. If the weather is decent, I’ll ride from the west; Marion/West Memphis, Ar. And join the group at the store.

Polar Bear Drive

Kinda wussed out on riding; drove over Shelby Forest Store in Millington, Tn. to meet the group ride from the east.
009E6F1F-4FC5-4F29-A49C-7B151CDBA07E.jpeg
CC107CFD-F5A4-46F6-957E-D27B9B958268.jpeg

Back to School

Got back in the machine shop class, working on the Ball Peen Hammer Head. Just finished my rendition.
563FB6E3-ACF1-47F9-9166-05669153CEA2.jpeg

It’s a little tricky, clamp the piece to the table, using the slots to locate the bar. The slots also square the bar to the milling machine. Center the quill over the bar stock. The bar is parallel the the key slot. Find center using either the bar or the slot. Use a center drill to start the hole. Then tap drill the hole. Chuck up the correct size tap. Make sure the quill is not lock down. Lock down the table in both x and y directions.

Turn the quill on slow rpm and pull the quill down to contact the bar. As the quill/tap starts to penetrate the hole, turn off. Unchuck the tap. Finish by using a tap handle to continue the tapping procedure till hole is fully tapped to the bottom of the hole.

It’s a little tricky, clamp the piece to the table, using the slots to locate the bar. The slots also square the bar to the milling machine. Center the quill over the bar stock. The bar is parallel the the key slot. Find center using either the bar or the slot. Use a center drill to start the hole. Then tap drill the hole. Chuck up the correct size tap. Make sure the quill is not lock down. Lock down the table in both x and y directions.

Turn the quill on slow rpm and pull the quill down to contact the bar. As the quill/tap starts to penetrate the hole, turn off. Unchuck the tap. Finish by using a tap handle to continue the tapping procedure till hole is fully tapped to the bottom of the hole.

Sounds sorta like what I did as far as alignment. It was a smaller hole in brass so I was able to turn the quill by hand. Probably would not have been able to if it was steel. It’s a good way to get things “squared”.
Thanks.
OM

Making a Ball Peen Hammer

High school shop class stuff. It’s a little harder than it looks.
DAA230BC-0947-4153-AAD4-64F7BDBD105A.jpeg
64EA9ACD-F12E-41ED-B9A3-F09153CCEC84.jpeg
Lathe bits I ground to get some of the radius’s to form the hammer head.

I tried a couple of different knurling tools to get the knurl look and feel for the hammer handle that I liked.
FA31963F-0B95-40D6-A9E7-0C38C89BC6DF.jpeg
Think I’ll go with the one on the right.

Back