• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

the last hurrah...

B

Bruce_H

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

the last hurrah... September 1st, 2010

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

On Monday I ordered material for our next project, delivery wouldn't be until Thursday. I did have another project to build however their check hasn't showed up. They then called and wanted to make some changes. Tuesday she stopped in to make sure I had gotten the message about the changes, didn't bring a check. Wednesday afternoon the check came, by this point I had other ideas. The coming weekend would be the Labor Day holiday and a couple of extra days would allow me to venture farther into rural Oregon, "cowboy land" as I call it.

It has been raining here since Sunday, although the forecast is for clearing and a nice weekend east of the mountains. By mid afternoon the sun is out on the beach however the road cameras in the mountains revealed the possibility of a very wet crossing. It will be a couple of hours before I get there maybe the rain will move on. Within the hour I wheeled my voyager onto the tarmac, prepared it for take off and lit the afterburners.

YES! It has. The road is wet but it is not raining. I check out a possible camp spot near Indian Ford but the sun is out on the east side so onward. My dad always said he didn't slow down until he crossed the Ochocco divide, you know he was right. The land changes on the other side, trees and urban sprawl end, "cowboy land", what a beautiful ride down the back side. There is a place to camp at Mitchell and I would be there before dark. Three hundred miles out for the evening.

Up early and looking for breakfast, I hadn't had any lunch the day before and leaving in the afternoon trying to make distance didn't allow for the possibility of stopping for dinner, I was motivated. Service Creek was about thirty miles away and would put me along the John Day river, a favorite ride area. From here I would turn north almost to the Columbia River before changing direction and heading east to the edges of Idaho and then south to Nevada then back into Oregon on Sunday and returning home.

basking in the sun...

09_04_100081.jpg

rural Oregon...

09_04_100301.jpg

it would be interesting to know who lived here and where they went...

09_04_100453.jpg

someone farms the land but the houses appear empty...

09_04_100501.jpg

it is shaping up to be a right nice day...

09_04_100592.jpg

somewhere I find a fresh water spring feeding an irrigation ditch
happiness is what one makes of their surroundings, it is hot and the water is cold, what more do I need?...

09_04_100551.jpg

it's hunting season, he could be someone's dinner, I only have a camera...

09_04_100941.jpg

I do like this old farm house...

09_04_101201.jpg

some of my ride areas are remote... I picked up a sandwich from Subway on my way thru Burns,
this is far removed from anywhere. The evening light was good but I am about an hour late, sure was nice to have that sandwich.

09_04_102071.jpg

grave site of Jean Charbonneau the son of Sacajawea and the youngest member of the Louis and Clark expedition...
I have noticed the sign pointing here for several years, just never took the time to ride off road and find it.
This is a piece of American history still preserved.

09_04_101952.jpg

09_04_102621.jpg

these two photos represent some of the remote places I like to visit...

09_04_103151.jpg

the sun is coming up...

09_04_102972.jpg

there are benefits to these remote places, I haven't seen anyone since leaving the pavement and have this hot spring to myself...
one side is cooler than the other, the hot side was about a hundred and the cool side about eighty five

09_04_103391.jpg

evening camp the last night out, how nice is this?...

09_04_103834.jpg

The weather was perfect although mornings Thursday and Friday were a little cool to start, low forty's, but it warmed up quite nicely. Friday was the warmest day at ninety nine degrees as I passed thru Rome. Saturday morning in the Gulch was seventy seven as I rode out looking for breakfast. I wanted to spend one night at the Alvord Desert but meeting a Range Rover club in Fields change my mind. They would party, make a lot of noise and plug up the hot spring, there were other places for me to go. I picked a hot spring in Nevada, there were two other campers here but no party. I set up my tent then as the sun was going down the mosquitoes came out, it was horrible. Quickly I took a few shots and headed for the water, even there they wouldn't leave me alone. Back at the tent I spent the time needed to kill all that I could find inside. After it got dark they just kind of went away, don't know why?...

Sunday when I got up it was cool, forty two degrees. I soaked in the spring then packed up, no mosquitoes. My ride this morning would take me across the highest and most exposed area of Oregon I can think of. There might be a tree somewhere but don't see one. Most of the route is over five thousand feet in elevation with two of the summits over six thousand feet, it never warmed up! I dropped off Doherty Slide, only a couple of degrees and then the wind started to blow. The forecast was for this, to cool down and the wind to blow, they were right. I decided to turn north and head for home.

There wasn't going to be breakfast this morning as the first hundred miles there isn't anything. The next fifty miles there only was one choice and there were twenty five people in front of me, time to move on. By the time I did find another restaurant open they were serving lunch, better than nothing. These remote places are an acquired taste and not what most people think Oregon is. People and restaurant are far apart as are gas stations and sometimes they aren't open. I rarely let my tank fall below half and if I miss a meal so what, I'll survive. For me it doesn't get any better.

This weekend was the last hurrah for summer in Oregon, we will still have nice fall days but the warmest weather is gone. The nights will start to freeze and daytime temperatures will make eighty but there will be that nip in the air as early afternoon approaches. Last week we had snow on some of the mountain peaks and the hunters told me they were having ice on the tents in the morning. I come out here because I like the heat of a hundred degree days and I have gotten my share. I will change my gear and ride areas to make the most of what is left before it starts to rain. Still I will continue to ride and adapt to the conditions at hand.

thanks for riding along, Bruce H.

Before I even open the thread I know I'm going to be blown away by your pictures and ride reports. This one did not disappoint. :clap

Thanks for the replies. Bud, did you get to the un-rally? I just didn't have the time this year but did make the MOA rally on Friday.

09_04_102621.jpg

these two photos represent some of the remote places I like to visit...

09_04_103151.jpg

Is that Leslie Gulch and Owhyee Reservoir? Leslie Gulch is an amazing place. Actually, I'm kind of partial to that whole area there in SE Oregon, SW Idaho, and northern Nevada. Good stuff and still off the radar for the most part.

Good eye! It is Leslie Gulch. Really low water this year. Other rides I have gone for a swim but not in this water, yuk... There were a few people moving about in the morning so didn't see any Big Horn Sheep, usually I do. This is a favorite place for me to ride. I have camped in there and not seen another person.

Trip through rural Oregon

BRAVO! Sincerely. Thank you for sharing! Reminding me of my own similar experiences, away from Chicago. Why I ride.

Back