• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Luggage

Hard or Soft luggage?

• Hard

Votes: 27 93.1%
  • Soft

Votes: 2 6.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Im a fan of Hard even off road . The security , double as table and chairs , and capacity . My Tiger before I went to BMW .
The Shad cases didnt fair well in Bigbend Tx. The Alum cases heled up for everything I threw at them . The RTP with street tires didnt make it lol

Note when they fall over with hard cases you dont have as far to lift them ;)

View attachment 93752View attachment 93753View attachment 93754
Wait...you can actually put stuff inside them?...:)

Not wanting to start a flame war...:beer but hard bags were never an issue prior to high-end soft bags getting on the market and were hyped up (media) as the next best thing since sliced bread. Yes, soft bags have their place for sure, but I have done 1000's of off-road miles doing the TAT and CDR , dropped my bike and never had as much as a bruise. Good riding gear does help on that front. To me it is about what will work best for a particular trip and pick the appropriate gear. YMMV

I have the Vario cases on my F700GS. If I drop the bike with the Vario cases fully extended I can pick her up even with all the camping gear. With the cases collapsed or no cases at all I couldn't do it. I would imagine that soft luggage would make it harder to start a lift.

Last edited:
Back