• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Looking at a 2003 k1200gt

boiserider63

Thinking of moving to a k1200gt from a r1100rt. Has anyone else made the move? I know that there are are pros and cons to each. Thoughts anyone?

I recently bought an '03 KGT, and I used to have a K100, although I've been riding an '03 R1150GSA most recently.

The biggest difference I immediately noticed is the 1200 is effortlessly fast. My oilhead is fast enough, but the KGT is so smooth, the speed sneaks up on me. I find myself using cruise control on the highway to avoid ending up deep in the ticket zone. The power comes on different as well. The oilhead torque "curve" isn't a curve, it's a table from 1,200 to 5,200 RPM... The 1200 4 pulls noticeably harder as the revs rise. Compared to an 1150 oilhead, the KGT has 45 more HP and 11 more Lbft of torque, and peak power occurs 2,000 RPM higher than the oilhead.

You may not sense this as much moving from an RT, but the wind protection on the KGT is excellent. Mine has a Laminar Lip at the top of the screen, and with the screen in the highest position the cockpit is nearly silent.

Compared to the GS, the handling of the KGT is more "deliberate." The wheelbase is longer and the rake is greater. It is very stable at speed, and it is no slouch in the curves, but it requires more steering input to initiate a turn, and it likes more speed and lean angle than the GS. The GS turns in easier and is easier to change directions.

I'd say the brakes on the KGT are better, but in reality my two bikes have the same exact ABS system. The brakes on the KGT feel better due to the Michelin road tires (and possibly the smaller front wheel), as my GSA is shod with 50/50 tires.

With my stature and shall we say "simian" proportions (legs short relative to torso and arms), the riding position on the KGT is comfortable. I've heard those with longer legs consider the peg position to be a little high.

My final observation is specifically GSA related -- fuel capacity on the KGT is nearly 3 gallons less than my GSA. I'm used to going almost 300 miles between fill ups, so I've had to recalibrate to avoid making bad route choices!

Thanks for the input. I think that I'm ready for a bigger touring bike, just not an lt quite yet. Better get something, though, as the rally is right around the corner and I just sold my RS and GT!

Back