• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Limp Throttle 2017 1200 Gs Adv Liquid

keywestjack

Just got back bike from service. Still going in to retard throttle mode so I cant get above 3000 rpm. Was at the dealer mechanic said he needed to reset the values just before I loaded on my trailer to return home I live four hours from the dealer so I have to trailer it both ways. Got it off the trailer I go 100-150 yards goes back in to this mode any ideas

Just got back bike from service. Still going in to retard throttle mode so I cant get above 3000 rpm. Was at the dealer mechanic said he needed to reset the values just before I loaded on my trailer to return home I live four hours from the dealer so I have to trailer it both ways. Got it off the trailer I go 100-150 yards goes back in to this mode any ideas

OK, What dealership???????????????????????????????????????

I don't know if this is the same problem, but my RS has gone into "limp" mode twice while riding. The engine goes to idle and does not respond to the throttle. After stopping, I shut the bike off and then turn back on. In the first instance, the engine fired up and responded normally to the throttle. I talked to my local tech and "we" decided to replace the throttle grip on the handlebar.

1000 miles later it did it again. Only this time when shut off/turn on the first time the throttle would not respond. A second off/on and the engine would rev to about 2500 rpm with half throttle. It felt so weak that I don't think you could actually ride it like that. Third off/on and the engine responded to the throttle normally.

Put on the dealer's computer and the problem supposedly is with the throttle assy on the bars. Since I had already installed a new throttle assy the plan is to replace the throttle connector and harness and that is where we are now. The repair harness is in Germany so it will be here in a week or so.

I have to say I am not the most confident that this will be the permanent fix. Only miles and time will tell.

Frank

I don't know if this is the same problem, but my RS has gone into "limp" mode twice while riding. The engine goes to idle and does not respond to the throttle. After stopping, I shut the bike off and then turn back on. In the first instance, the engine fired up and responded normally to the throttle. I talked to my local tech and "we" decided to replace the throttle grip on the handlebar.

1000 miles later it did it again. Only this time when shut off/turn on the first time the throttle would not respond. A second off/on and the engine would rev to about 2500 rpm with half throttle. It felt so weak that I don't think you could actually ride it like that. Third off/on and the engine responded to the throttle normally.

Put on the dealer's computer and the problem supposedly is with the throttle assy on the bars. Since I had already installed a new throttle assy the plan is to replace the throttle connector and harness and that is where we are now. The repair harness is in Germany so it will be here in a week or so.

I have to say I am not the most confident that this will be the permanent fix. Only miles and time will tell.

Frank

Thanks will keep you updated

Figured I'd jump back in with an update on my situation.

Just to catch up, I had TWO instances of the throttle becoming non-responsive on my '17 R1200RS. After the first time I replaced the throttle tube assy on the handlebar. 1000 miles later a repeat of the non-responsive throttle. Had he dealer check it out and their computer said the problem is located up on the handlebar so we ordered a repair harness. Weeks later no reply from Germany on when the part will be sent. I had parked the bike during this time and it was becoming an expensive piece of garage furniture.

Since the bike is out of warranty, and I feel that this could turn into an expensive and ongoing problem not knowing if it is ACTUALLY fixed, I traded the '17 in for a '23 R1250RS. As one of my friends noted, that is how you fix the problem, get a new bike. I was lucky twice with no throttle control and don't want to press my luck a third time with an 18 wheeler (or anything else) bearing down on me.

The repair harness finally showed up and will be installed on the bike. It's out of my hands now and the liability is on someone else. I don't feel good about that, but what do you do????

Frank

There is a 20 page thread on Adventure rider
https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/16-gs-limp-mode.1241121/

If you search "R1200RT Limp Home mode" you will find plenty.

It happened to my 2016 RT a month ago.
GS911 had 2 faults with the right throttle body.

I replaced it but during my research fond that it could also be the contacts at the ECM and throttle connector.
I took all the connections off (ECU, Throttle body, Throttle control) and applied Stabilant 22 (you can get it from Amazon) it helps with making a good contact.

There is also a update which I did not get done.

So far so good, I have about 500 miles on the repair..

Back