• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

2016 RT Throttle Response / Clutch Issue?

zenwhipper

Out on a 6 day trip through OR and WA last week. Riding along on HWY 97 went to pass a car. Was doing 65 MPH in 5th gear. I downshifted, applied throttle and went to pass. I was in forth gear when I started to pass. When I hit the throttle, the bike RPM dramatically increased, say 1K and the bike speed did not increase, it just sat there. After a second or two, the bike picks up speed and it sounds like the clutch started to finally engage and the RPM came down, the bike accelerated and I was able to pass. I'm like WTF. :dunno

My first thought was the clutch was slipping. Tried again, throttle, engine revs come way up, bike lags, finally bike gets going, RPMs come down and things equilibrate. It was the same in 3rd, 4th, and 5th. Don't recall testing 6th.

Interestingly, I was riding in DYNA mode at the time. I thought I'd switch to ROAD and test. Same issue.

I really thought I had a clutch slipping issue. But at 26,000 miles on the bike - does not make sense.

I ride about 100 miles, worried of the issue and getting home.

I stop for gas and head out. Issue is gone. I road another 150 miles over varied roads and never had the issue again.

I just had the bike in for its ~24K service. I had road 1200 miles on my trip with no issues until the last day.

I don't think its the clutch. May be ride by wire throttle issue? Or something to do with the integrated electronics for throttle, traction control, clutch blah blah blah?

I appreciate any thoughts you may have.

Thanks
Scott

I think it is a clutch issue. Here is why. The engine RPM increased but the driveline RPM didn't. The connection between the two is the clutch. If it was a fly-by-wire issue the engine RPM might not go up. But it did.

The fact that it happened, and later failed to happen suggests to me that there was a contaminating lubricant on the clutch rather than a worn thin clutch. And it suggests that once the slipping action "burned" or scuffed off the lubricant then things became normal, at least for a while. I am suspicious of an oil leak contaminating the clutch.

I do agree with you that it sounds like a clutch issue overall, but its a 2016 so it has a wet clutch that is bathed in the engine oil anyway.

Ok! My error on the wet clutch issue. I still think it is a clutch slipping issue. That is the only thing I can think of that would cause the engine RPM to increase while the driveline RPM failed to do so too. I don't know enough about the wet clutch arrangement to hypothesize how it could bind and limit engagement but it sounds like it did. I assume it has a hydraulic slave cylinder and if it bound up, or failed to bleed back to the master cylinder, that could cause the slipping problem.

The only other thing I know of that could cause these slipping symptoms is a lack of adhesion with the rubber damper in the driveshaft. But I don't understand how this failure could cure itself later. Once broken loose I would think it would stay broken loose.

Are the Wetheads more picky about WHAT oil they use and HOW MUCH is in there?
And how much adjustability is available for the clutch lever and/or throwout?

Are the Wetheads more picky about WHAT oil they use and HOW MUCH is in there?
And how much adjustability is available for the clutch lever and/or throwout?

My bike clutch disengages really quickly with just a short lever pull (~1/2"). Not sure if this is odd or an issue.

Not knowing how you ride your bike, I'd venture a guess that your clutch plates are worn out. A lot easier to check than the older hex/oilheads but still messy. Although...these bikes are equipped with a slipper clutch. Could it be that in that "system", somehow full clutch spring pressure wasn't being applied to the plates hence the slippage?

Now, if you say the bike is now behaving itself I'd tend to leave well-enough alone.

Used to see this issue with the 2004-2009 Honda ST1300s. Riding as a police bike, we went through clutches more often than most riders, but I had a few instances where I experienced exactly what you felt at speed, then after stopping for a bit, issue went away....for a little while. Always ended up being a bad clutch and the break just allowed it to cool or whatever to allow "normal" operation for a bit. Haven't yet had this happen with my 2017 RTP. When the clutch goes...it goes and stays gone.

Clutch slipping?

Might want to make sure the clutch fluid reservoir is not overfilled - had some 'odd' clutch issues on my '18RT and when I took a bit of the excess fluid out of the reservoir, things went back to normal - about 15K on the bike at that time.

Might want to make sure the clutch fluid reservoir is not overfilled - had some 'odd' clutch issues on my '18RT and when I took a bit of the excess fluid out of the reservoir, things went back to normal - about 15K on the bike at that time.

Good advice. Never forget the simple stuff. :thumb

Back