• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Klim K1R Karbon Helmet

jeffshoaf

I'm in the market for a new helmet and tried on a Klim K1R earlier this week when I had my RT in for service: http://www.klim.com/K1R-Karbon-Full-Face-Helmet-ECE-DOT-3767-000

I like the fit and the lack of weight and the transitions shield but wanted to research a bit more only there are only a few independent review out there on the Interwebs. I know the she'll is a re-branded Lazer but the Revzilla video points out several upgrades over the similar Lazer model. Most reviews are pretty possible but mention that it's noisy - of course, I've seen reviews saying the Schubert C3 is noisy too... I was hoping on trying on a C3pro but the local dealer is dropping them and they didn't have one that would for my XL head in stock.

Anybody have any experience with the Kim? A search here found a positive review to a different model Klim but not the K1R. I understand that Klim was offering a 30-day money back trial earlier this year but I think it's over now.

Jeff, I don't have any experience with the K1R.

As far as the C3/C3-Pro is concerned, it is rated as if not the quietest than definitely one of the quietest helmets there is. I do believe this has been backed up with independent instrumented testing but can't recall where you'd find that.

If anyone suggests that the C3/C3-Pro is noisy than I would suggest that they have made a significant mistake in fitting the helmet. They have either A) chosen too large a size or B) they shouldn't have chosen the C3/C3-Pro in the first place.

It is quite possible that it is B) as most riders concentrate on sizing almost to the exclusion of recognizing that helmet shape is the very first criteria to identify and select by. If the helmet shape isn't compatible with your head shape it often doesn't matter what the size is, the helmet is not going to fit properly, period. However, for most, the problem is going to be "A) sizing". Arai and other top-tier manufacturers have found that the majority of riders they encounter are wearing helmets at least one-size too large and a surprising number are wearing helmets two-sizes too large.

Getting the proper fit has a lot to do with noise levels. First identify what your head shape is and if the K1R is that shape or next to it on either side then try the proper size for you. Everyone's head is fairly unique and what fits me might be wrong for you both in terms of comfort and sound level.

The K1R looks like a nice helmet. My only caution would be that, for me, I prefer an internal sun visor. The length of time that the transition shield takes to go from light to dark makes it difficult when turning directly into the sun, or going into tunnels, etc. Everyone is different, but that is a deal-breaker for me, I want an internal slide-down sun visor.

If anyone suggests that the C3/C3-Pro is noisy than I would suggest that they have made a significant mistake in fitting the helmet. They have either A) chosen too large a size or B) they shouldn't have chosen the C3/C3-Pro in the first place.

Thanks Alan - that's why I hesitate to give those reviews much weight.

I also tried a Shoei Gt-Air with a drop-down shade but it did weird things to my big ears and I had problems getting it off.

I know what you mean about the ears Jeff. Because of that I use either a BMW or LDC helmet liner cap which in addition to doing exactly what they advertise, they also do a great job of making helmet doning and removal more comfortable.

Check out Arai Helmets - Jay Leno's Garage on YouTube for some good general info.

Back