• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

iphone charging on the RT

fletchdude

I'm mounting my iphone 6 to a RAM mount on the left handle bar clutch clamp. I'm wondering whats the best way to route a firewire cable up there for long trips. I suppose the easiest way is to just plug into the harness in the right fairing compartment. I have an older nano in there now but could figure a way to use the nano and power another device if I had the right adapters. The only problem I see with that is the compartment door has a gasket seal and I don't know if having a cable poking out of there could compromise the seal and leak in a rain storm. Plus its on the wrong side of the bike and the cable would have to drape across the bars and tank. I'd have to route and secure the wire so not to get tangled or worse yet interfere with handlebar movement. My old RT (09) had a power tap under the faring near the headlight I used to power the zumo. Anyone solve this on their bike?

Fletch

Depending upon the year of your RT (Hexhead) you could use a 'Migsel' mount available here: http://www.migsel.com/store/index.php?_a=viewProd&productId=69&review=read. From that central area one can follow a route on the throttle side back to the area of the battery. This does require a fair amount of of Tupperware removal however. The iPhone charging and data wire is a 'Lightning' to 'USB' cable. You will need to supply a 5V USB power source as well.

Howdy,
With the low load of the I Phone you could just plug it into the accessory outlet in the fairing. I believe White Horse Press sells an adapter from 12V to 5V to plug into a BMW socket with a USB input.
Later,
Nom

Howdy,
With the low load of the I Phone you could just plug it into the accessory outlet in the fairing. I believe White Horse Press sells an adapter from 12V to 5V to plug into a BMW socket with a USB input.
Later,
Nom

Yes you can do this as a temporary solution. If this is to be a long term/permanent arrangement, riding any distance, varying weather and off/on the bike then I really would try any neat integrated approach to avoid tangling of wires, etc. YMMV of course.

I'm sorry, I forgot to include the year of the RT. It's a 2014. I probably could plug it into the accessory socket. A friend of mine bought a powelett adapter for that. I think the only issue he mentioned was it tended to go in and out maybe due to vibration.

For me this is temporary when needing directions or on a trip. The Nav V is pretty good but I like my google maps and iPhone map programs occasionally on trips. It's purely a backup nav device for me. I don't take calls or try to do voice texts etc while riding.

I'm pulling the Tupperware for paint so I may look for a place to tap power. Thanks for the reminder to drop the power via some adapter/transformer to work with the iPhone. So it's 5v?

I drilled a hole in the compartment on the right side where the USB power is and then I used a rubber grommet to fill the hole after threading the iPhone cable. Depending on the size of the hole drilled and how much of it ends up getting filled by the grommet itself and the cable, you could then seal any space left over with silicone caulking or something similar for wet usage.

Thanks for the reminder to drop the power via some adapter/transformer to work with the iPhone. So it's 5v?

Yes it is 5 volts. for reference here is a good article describing just what is inside that little one inch cube used to charge an iPhone (120 vac to 5 vdc): http://www.righto.com/2012/05/apple-iphone-charger-teardown-quality.html

Generally once receiving a reasonable charging voltage, power charging regulation is handled by one or more chips inside the iPhone. I use power from the motorcycle battery via a fuse box to a miniature 12vdc to 5vdc converter wired directly to a lightning cable (so no USB connector). However this really is overkill only because I was an Electronics Tech in another life.

Battery Tender has this available to connect from your battery or fused source but I cannot vouch for it's effectiveness for iPhone charging: https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4

Last edited:
Hi,
That's what I use to charge my I phone off of my direct battery lead when the bike is parked. Works great.
Later,
Norm

I drilled a hole in the compartment on the right side where the USB power is and then I used a rubber grommet to fill the hole after threading the iPhone cable.

Lisa, where did you drill the hole, on the side of the compartment or bottom? Jim

Battery Tender has this available to connect from your battery or fused source but I cannot vouch for it's effectiveness for iPhone charging: https://www.amazon.ca/Battery-Tender-081-0158-Disconnect-Charger/dp/B00DJ5KEF4

That's a slick adapter. Thanks for the reference. I'd have to find a US source that will ship to my location. I'm sure there are several. Is that article on the apple iPhone charging cube for real? A lot of technology inside that little thing. Makes me wonder is it safe for the iPhone and iPad to be charged by aftermarket adapters? Jim

Is that article on the apple iPhone charging cube for real? A lot of technology inside that little thing. Makes me wonder is it safe for the iPhone and iPad to be charged by aftermarket adapters? Jim

Real? All I can say is that the article is technically accurate. I am too cheap to tear apart one of my own to confirm the contents.

Safe? I have tried a few Chinese made knockoffs purchased on Amazon and found some fail very early in life (weeks to months), others do not deliver clean voltages or get very hot in use (or plugged in not being used), or vibrate and make noise. So I would say try to buy from a known brand that would at least attempt to comply with North American standards.

I drilled a hole in the compartment on the right side where the USB power is and then I used a rubber grommet to fill the hole after threading the iPhone cable. Depending on the size of the hole drilled and how much of it ends up getting filled by the grommet itself and the cable, you could then seal any space left over with silicone caulking or something similar for wet usage.

I like this solution. Do you know if the power at the USB port in the right compartment is 5VDC? I'm using that port now to power an iPod nano through an adapter the previous owner had bought. The adapter has some circuitry for the apple interface and it plays through the audio system. Anyway I could get a USB splitter and use the nano and have a separate USB for power.

All USB ports are 5 volts DC however supply current should be verified if one wishes to charge more than one device at a time from a single port. Check the manual.

Real? All I can say is that the article is technically accurate. I am too cheap to tear apart one of my own to confirm the contents.

Safe? I have tried a few Chinese made knockoffs purchased on Amazon and found some fail very early in life (weeks to months), others do not deliver clean voltages or get very hot in use (or plugged in not being used), or vibrate and make noise. So I would say try to buy from a known brand that would at least attempt to comply with North American standards.
:thumb
I have found the Apple products are best charged with Apple accessories. The speed of charging and the ability of the contacts to take repeated "in and out" are worth the extra cost...for me.
OM

Back