• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

INTERMOT 2008 - Speech by Hendrik von Kuenheim - Pres BMW Motorrad

mika

Still Wondering
Speech by Hendrik von Kuenheim
President BMW Motorrad
Intermot 2008
Cologne, 07.10.2008
Business field BMW Motorrad ÔÇô Looking back. Looking ahead.

Ladies and gentlemen,

Let me also welcome you warmly to BMW Motorrad at the INTERMOT. I am very pleased to celebrate the world premiere of three BMW motorcycles here with
you. The BMW Motorrad model offensive continues with undiminished momentum.
Before we present the new models in our range for the 2009 season, I would like to look
back briefly on this yearÔÇÖs motorcycle season. In 2008 we launched no less than six new
models.

The year began with the model revision of the most successful BMW models ever. The
R 1200 GS and her sister model, the Adventure, are still among the most popular
motorcycles in the world.

Since March the dream bike of many boxer fans has been on the market. The HP2 Sport
is the sportiest and most powerful series production flat-twin of all time. What makes it so fascinating are its exclusive detail features which have only been seen in motorsports up to now.

In March we also launched two further Enduro models ÔÇô this time in the middle range.
The F 800 GS combines first-class offroad capabilities and convincing allround qualities
like no other middle-range Enduro at the moment.

With the two-cylinder F 650 GS we are continuing the concept of the successful
predecessor model. It is a light, uncomplicated allround motorcycle for the road and the
occasional light offroad trip.

And with the G 450 X we have moved into the Sports Enduro segment for the first time.
In typical BMW style we are offering a highly innovative and trailblazing sports bike. In line with this we will significantly expand our commitment in Enduro motorsports with this
bike. We want to ride right up front next season with a top team of riders.

Ladies and gentlemen,
Our model offensive will contribute to BMW Motorrad achieving excellent sales figures
this year, too.

This is especially encouraging since all important motorcycle markets are downshifting
and some very fast indeed. Markets such as Spain or Italy have shrunk double-digit and in the US, sales also dropped by a high single-digit figure. Here on the German market, too, the downward trend still continues. Amplified by the worldwide recession tendencies, the motorcycle market in the segment above 500 cc dropped considerably by more than 7 %. This development affected us, too.

In addition we have decided to change our sales strategy. In future leading the German
market in terms of units sold will no longer be the main objective, but rather the fact
whether the dealer network and thus also BMW Motorrad is doing solid business.

That is why we have significantly reduced our direct sales promotion measures this year.
This naturally affects our sales figures which in Germany are 12 percent lower than last
yearÔÇÖs up until August.

Looking at the situation worldwide, due to the weak important markets, our deliveries to
customers have dropped slightly by 2.9 % compared to last year up until.

In Italy, our second-most important market, we are 6% ahead compared to the previous
year. In France and Great Britain including Ireland we were able to sell more motorcycles as compared to the same period in 2007. However, this growth has not been able to balance the downturn in other important markets such as Germany, Spain and the USA.

However, if one looks at the market shares in the segment above 500 cc, we have gained market share in all relevant markets. Compared to the overall market, BMW Motorrad has been able to hold its own very well. You could almost call it a special BMW Motorrad economy.

In the prognosis for worldwide annual sales we expect to come very close to last yearÔÇÖs
record sales figure. So we will only be taking a break regarding growth in 2008.
Once again the R 1200 GS and the GS Adventure were the most popular BMW
motorcycles.

As expected, middle-range Enduro sales of the F 800 GS and F 650 GS are very
positive. It should be noted here that we are only currently beginning to deliver these
models overseas.

Ladies and gentlemen, progress at our second brand, Husqvarna Motorcycles, is very
strong.

Operative business is very robust, meaning that motorcycle availability in the markets and the spare parts business are very stable. We have also been able to improve product quality considerably.

Deliveries are proceeding according to plan. As announced Husqvarna will probably be
delivering about 30% more motorcycles than last year before BMW took over.
The plant in Cassinetta is undergoing further modernisation. The separation of the
Husqvarna and MV Augusta production areas has been completed with the move of
HusqvarnaÔÇÖs engine production. By the middle of next year the new headquarters on the
factory grounds will already commence operation.

In the meantime we are also making use of our synergy potential. Husqvarna is
cooperating with our engineers in Munich in the engine development area and the first
BMW Motorrad dealers are offering Husqvarna models.

This much in brief on the topic of Husqvarna Motorcycles. The Husqvarna press
conference will offer you more insights at 3.00 pm.

Back to BMW:

BMW Motorrad has always been a pioneer with regards to environment protection and
safety. We already introduced the catalytic converter in the early nineties and today our
engines are among the most efficient in the competitive field.

20 years ago, in 1988, we were the first manufacturer to present an ABS braking system
for motorcycles. Today every BMW, with the exception of the G 450, is available with
ABS. No other manufacturer offers such a wide ABS range. Worldwide more than 90%
of our bikes are equipped with ABS. This is unique in the motorcycle industry and a great success. We extended this innovation lead in the area of safety with the first automatic stability control system for motorcycles in 2006.

We will continue to focus strongly on our innovative power in the area of environment
technology and safety. I can announce to you today that our S 1000 RR supersports bike will already include a new generation of innovative control systems.

In addition we are also thinking about other mobility topics and customer needs of the
future. In this respect we also have our focus on the worldÔÇÖs metropolitan areas. In the
coming years we can envision that - apart from the combustion engine - the electric drive
could be implemented in a new vehicle concept at an acceptable price combined with an
acceptable range.

Our core business, however, will remain innovative, thrilling motorcycles which brings me to our new models at the INTERMOT.

You will remember that 25 years ago BMW Motorrad decided to create a wider base for
its model range. With the introduction of the K Series in 1983 we launched a motorcycle
with four-cylinder inline engine for the first time. Next to our boxer models this gave our
BMW Motorrad range a second strong leg to stand on.

In 2004 we presented the K 1200 S, the first motorcycle of a new K generation featuring
a transverse inline four-cylinder engine.

We expanded the K Series with the K 1200 GT high-performance tourer and K 1200 R
roadster.

We have sold almost 65,000 four-cylinder motorcycles in the past four years. Now the
time has come to give this attractive model series a new and powerful impulse.
This brings me to the world premiere of the new K model series.

I use the term ÔÇ£new K SeriesÔÇØ on purpose because we have conducted profound
changes both with regards to all the technology and visual appearance. Our aim was to
significantly improve the three models in terms of performance, handling, dynamics,
visual appeal and quality.

Allow me to point out a few central points.
By raising capacity to 1300 cc, our engineers have not only increased output but also
torque on all three models. At the same time the driveline was intensively revised from
air/gas mixture formation right through to the exhaust system. In this way we have been
able to optimise partial load behaviour as well as throttle response.

Now the clutch can be operated with even less effort and with greater refinement.
Shifting has been improved tangibly due to constructional changes to the gearbox and
drive. Both the K 1300 S and also the R will also have the shift assistant - familiar from
the HP2 Sport - available as an option for the first time.

We have also advanced the chassis. The new lower longitudinal strut is now made of
aluminium and is thus considerably lighter. This makes the front wheel guidance
response even more sensitive.

The result of this comprehensive development work is superior handling, improved
rideability and lower fuel consumption.

The electronically adjustable suspension ÔÇô called ESA in short ÔÇô was launched as a world first on the K 1200 S. Now we are presenting the new, well-proven ESA II as an option for the K Series, too. Apart from the suspension and damping this unique system also allows the spring rate to be adjusted at the press of a button.
In addition to the standard BMW Integral ABS, our customers can again order ASC
Automatic Stability Control as a sensible extra.

The K Series model revision also heralds a new and innovative generation of switches
and controls.

Ladies and gentlemen, there is simply not enough time to present all the measures here.
Please also see the comprehensive press material for further details.

Now let me briefly come to the individual models:
With a maximum output of 175 horsepowers and a maximum torque of 140
newtonmeters, the new K 1300 S is until today the most powerful and fastest series
production BMW of all time.

We have changed the chassis geometry for even more neutral cornering and even
greater agility. More than ever before the ÔÇ£SÔÇØ combines sportiness, riding dynamics and
easy handling with comfort and perfect everyday suitability.

The new design also suits these significantly improved properties. The K 1300 S now
has a much slimmer and sportier visual appeal due to these numerous changes.

The K 1300 R is a high-performance bike of quite a different kind. No other BMW
radiates its power with such force as this naked bike.

With newly designed fairing and trim as well as a more compact front wheel guard, the
new K Roadsters now has a more stretched dynamic look.

We have also revised the ÔÇ£RÔÇØ chassis geometry compared to the predecessor model.
The new settings ensure even greater agility without losing any ride stability.

With 173 horsepowers, a maximum torque of 140 newtonmeters and a weight of only
243 kilograms, our extravagant power roadster meets our customersÔÇÖ highest demands
regarding riding dynamics.

Our third new model at the Intermot will extend its worldwide market leadership among
the dynamic tourers even further. The K 1300 GT has also profited from the raised
capacity and has been significantly improved in all ride dynamics areas compared to her
predecessor.

With an output of 160 horsepowers and a torque of 135 newtonmeters, the K 1300 GT
stands for ÔÇ£Gran TurismoÔÇ£ at the highest level. In order to emphasise the touring
character compared to the other K models, we focused more on pulling power at low and
medium engine speeds for the GT.

Like no other high-performance tourer, the K 1300 GT combines the highest possible
level of agility and sporty dynamics with a travel-suitable overall package.
Ladies and gentlemen, thatÔÇÖs the theory on our new K Series. Now get ready to
experience the three motorcycles live!

Ladies and gentlemen, the new BMW K Series.
Here you can see another motorcycle standing next to me. I think I know what youÔÇÖre
suspecting. I will hand you over to Peter M??ller, the head of development and model
series, and he will unveil the secret.
Could I ask you to step up, Mr M??ller 

Technically there were no pics with the speech. They are all over the internet. I am in the process of cleaning up the K1300 press release and downloading 80 some pictures. Be patient, this takes time.

Here you can see another motorcycle standing next to me. I think I know what youÔÇÖre
suspecting. I will hand you over to Peter M??ller, the head of development and model
series, and he will unveil the secret.
Could I ask you to step up, Mr M??ller 

So what did Mr. M??ller unveil???

Pics...

Just caught this thread ... here y'go:

389154377_exxN7-L.jpg

389154756_2zopn-L.jpg

389154201_RBG45-L.jpg

Some cool aftermarket stuff...

389153702_wCM8N-L.jpg

389143766_YJh8A-L.jpg

389142889_xLDXg-XL.jpg