• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Ice cream

GPRUDD

When I got home Friday (5/12) I asked my middle daughter if she wanted to go for ice cream and of course she said yes. This is why I have a bike. Sure, I use it for my work commute because of the better gas mileage, and I'm looking forward to the VT, INF rally, but going for ice cream is one of the real benefits. I have a wife and three daughters so they have to take turns going for ice cream. Some of you are getting ahead of me, that's right, the benefit is I get to go every time.

We live about 10 to 15 miles from the east end of Lake Ontario on the east side of an area called the Tug Hill Plateau. "The Tug" is a triangular shaped area in north central New York roughly bounded by Oneida Lake to the south, Interstate 81 to the west, and the Black River to the northeast.

So, back to Friday, since I've worn a track to the 4 or 5 closest places I chose one a little further away, Good OlÔÇÖ WishyÔÇÖs in Croghan, NY. We left at 6:38 pm and went east 3 miles on North Church Road to County Rt. 17. This portion of N. Church is a well maintained dirt road. The rest of the roads were paved, some might have been better unpaved. Turned south on 17 to Redfield and then east to West Leyden by way of Osceola. Some of the roads between Osceola and West Leyden didnÔÇÖt overwinter well. In West Leyden we turned north on Rt. 26 through some nice farm (dairy) country to Lowville. On a ridge to your left as you approach Lowville thereÔÇÖs a wind farm. In Lowville we picked up 812 for the last 10 miles to Croghan. I think Good OlÔÇÖ WishyÔÇÖs makes their own ice cream.

The trip home was more direct because it was getting dark and it had started to rain lightly as we got to WishyÔÇÖs. Back south for 10 miles to Lowville then north on 12 a couple of miles to 177 west where we ran out of the rain. Without being too specific, you can make pretty good time on 177. We zipped along 177 for about 25 miles to Adams Center then south on Interstate 81 to my exit (#38). Lastly, we went east 6 miles to complete the circuit arriving at 9:35 pm.

So this was my ÔÇ£three hour tourÔÇØ and it covered about 135 miles. That ice cream really cut into the average, not that IÔÇÖm complaining.

If youÔÇÖre going to the VT, INF rally and coming into The Adirondack Park on the northwest corner, WishyÔÇÖs would be a nice place to stop.

Back