• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

I trust my 2006 R1200RT

Grover

ShinySideUp
I've owned a few bikes in my years of riding. Yamaha, Kawasaki, and BMW. For the BMWs, I've owned a 1996 R1100RT, worked as an officer on a 2004 R1150RT, and owned a 2007 R1200RT and now a 2006 R1200RT bought from a dealer here in Jacksonville 2 weeks ago. For all the complaints I tend to find on the forums, all valid, I just want to point out the positive too.

Like many of you, I use my RT to tour long distance. I have found that the RT has ridden reliably through the Mojave Desert, the open roads of Arizona, the empty spaces of Death Valley, 395 from tip to tip of California, snow in Reno and Tahoe, rain in Bakersfield, Modoc National Forest, silent roads to Klamath, Stanislaus National Forest, and the list goes on (now that I live in Florida, I've new roads to explore). Most of those places are quite remote and lack service stations, cell phone towers, or even signs. Not once have I been stranded by a mechanical failure on my RTs. The ride has been comfortable and I love the size of my gas tank to get me from point A to B where I know the next station is 100 miles away. The windshield protects me, and the grips kept me warm. The bike not only looks great, but I TRUST it. Every time I rode, it was with my old motor partner. We were self-sufficient. We usually saw Harley riders in groups of four or more, mostly stopped as we passed them at a gas stations. Many times, unfortunately, we saw them on the side of the road repairing something and we made ourselves available. We know the BMW is not perfect. No bike is. But, in the eye of this beholder, I think my RT and my friend's '14 GS are two bikes that have evolved to provide the motorcycle rider with positive memories to share.

What are your stories?

Attachments

• IMG_1954.jpg
    IMG_1954.jpg
    50.1 KB · Views: 189
I'm presently on my 17th bike; nine of those have been BMWs.
No BMW has ever left me stranded; at least one in each of those other brands (British, American, and Japanese) has.
All part of why I'm so reluctant to "upgrade" to a newer one...

Nice Topic

I lusted for a BMW back when I started riding with a Honda 350 in 1973. I wanted to ride across Canada to the west coast. I did that in 2012, finally, but across the US and then back through Canada. The bike was new, comfortable, and flawless for the trip and subseq uently. Interestingly, the trip via the US was with my friend on a 1982 Yamaha Seca! It too was flawless on the trip. He shipped it back.

Later, I did a trip from Toronto to Renton. Also flawless. And comfortable. Great bikes, these RTs. But, seriaously, most of these trips would be considered just routine in my Minivan, for example. Although, the ride is a different experience entirely.

When I returned from the West Coast, I was on my own, and was delighted by the reliable and comfortable ride.

I am hoping to do the west / east loop again this year. Was going to depart May 29 but am experiencing a bit of a delay in departure. Bike is ready...so am I.

The loop

I'd love to ride out west again too. The Florida roads are pretty straight as you can imagine. No mountains to go around. I certainly haven't had any fuel anxiety. There's a Gate gas station here every ten miles. When you take that ride, please post some pics so I can reminisce.

"The bike not only looks great, but I TRUST it"

Couldn't agree more. I'm on my second BMW ('06 R12GS and '12 R12GSA) after owning Honda's. I've ridden RTs and Ks plus off brands (HD FLH series) but the quality, flexibility, range, comfort, fit & finish, performance and fun factor score high marks for me and will keep me coming back to BMW.

Safe motoring.

Back