• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How to improve MPG on 94 R100RT

150 miles on 6 gallons capacity? :scratch :dunno that is notably under 30 mpg. that is notably not good! a correct running R90 should be getting closer to 50+ mpg... i had seen as high as 62 on my '74 90/6, but that was back when premium leaded was available. even so, something is wrong there don.

I can get anywhere between 250 to 300 mile on both bikes. I was trying to say that it is hard to stay on the bike for a full tank of gas.

Don

Hey I am all for stopping often and talking to the locals. I love it.
But when you have to be in class on monday morning at 8am. and you leave the Saturday evening before around 4pm. with 1000 miles between 3 stops would sure beat 5 stops. I think I could control the bladder for 4+ hours.

Please don't say 'just fly'. The bike trip is the icing on the cake getaway for me.

I see your point about the specifications.

1978-1984 5.27/6.34 gal us (6.34-5.27=1.07 reserve right?)
at a constant 56mph 40 mpg

1987-1996 4.83/5.81 gal us (5.81-4.83=0.98 Reserve ...) loss of only .53 gals
at a constant 56mph 54 mpg (WHY SUCH BETTER MILEAGE?)

I have never gotten over 186 miles before running out and switching to reserve.
That is not running 75 mph on the Interstate either.
186/4.83=38 mpg based on the specs.

I have never gotten under 40mph even at 75 mph.

Maybe I am not getting it full...... I have put 20,000 on it since 2006 you would think I would have gotten it full at least once.

My curiosity is killing me now, I have to know the actual capacity, so as soon as the weather will allow I will drain the tank and do some testing.
Start with a gas can with 5.81 gallons in it.

1. empty tank, start and run out gas in carbs, reserve OFF, add 1 gallon measured, should not start setting on the center stand on level ground (.98 reserve spec) or idle for a short period of time before running out.
2. add the 4.81 gallons left in the gas can while on the center stand.

Raising the compression is something to consider especially for the bottom end power increase. I am relatively new to bikes. But have wrenched chevys for years.
There are thousands of books on the chevy small block v8. Are there any performance books out there for airheads?

On the ratios. is there a way to 'add a gear'. or change the ratio.
I have always wished there was a 6th. gear. Sometimes I catch myself after ridding several miles trying to up shift when it's already in 5th.

1987-1996
Number of Gears 5
Gearbox Ratios 4.4 / 2.86 / 2.07 / 1.67 / 1.50
Rear Wheel Ratio 1 : 3.00

1978-1984
Number of Gears 5
Gearbox Ratios 4.4 / 2.86 / 2.07 / 1.67 / 1.50
(Optional sport version: 3.38 / 2.43 / 1.93 / 1.67 / 1.50
Rear Wheel Ratio 1 : 3.0 or 1 : 2.91

Thanks for all the posts.

On the windshield repair you made a gusset which ended up with 4 holes, right?

One on each end of the gusset and 2 where the original holes for the original bracket goes, correct?

Thanks for the idea.

You mentioned earlier about having trouble with the nozzle shutting off prematurely...I'm assuming that you don't do or know about this...but what I do when I fill my bikes is pull the sealing ring back with my left hand as I fill with my right, and it will fill until such time as I turn the nozzle off...end of problem...we out here in California figured out this some thirty years ago when those infernal "clean" nozzles showed up...

You mentioned earlier about having trouble with the nozzle shutting off prematurely...I'm assuming that you don't do or know about this...but what I do when I fill my bikes is pull the sealing ring back with my left hand as I fill with my right, and it will fill until such time as I turn the nozzle off...end of problem...we out here in California figured out this some thirty years ago when those infernal "clean" nozzles showed up...

First time I dealt with one I was like WTF, then it dawned on me after a dozen clicks.

for determining mileage- fill it, along with a 1 gallon container. ride until you hit reserve, note miles at that point, ride until it quits, that tells you max distance to done. add the 1 gal, get gas, note the miles and divide by number of new gallons added, being sure to include the one you added from the container. or, skip the "to empty" step, and just assume that you have an actual capacity of 5.8. divide recorded miles by gas put in. nothing else means anything at all.

don't idle bike unless absolutely necessary- and this is not a necessary action.

Back