• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

How Many Bikes?

I typed out a long post, hoping for input on which of my four bikes should go, as it seems four bikes is too many for a guy getting older. But in typing that, it suddenly didn't seem like too many (fortunately registration and insurance is fairly inexpensive). My bikes:

1985 Honda Nighthawk CB650SC
1995 BMW R1100RSL
2005 BMW F650GS
2018 BMW G310GS

My wife has a 2018 G310R -- we ride every possible weekend year-around. The G310GS is a nice match to her bike, and it’s fun to ride. The latest addition, 650GS, is probably the bike I'd first choose to just hop on and ride. The RSL is great for distance, the Nighthawk is a veritable time machine.

Is it too many? All are fairly cheap bikes and all are parked indoors.

How many is too many? I'd love your input, and I'd really love to know how many bikes are in garages out there.

Mitch

Correct number is N+1 until storage capacity is maxed out.
Then, the search for more storage begins! :D

Seriously, it’s time for me to thin my own herd as there are two that don’t get ridden much and I may be facing a domicile downsize in the not too distant future. So for me, it gets down to which bikes get used the least.

Best,
DeVern

As a very new-newlywed, my soon to be my first wife demanded I quit riding. She wanted a family and couldn't bare the thought of being a single mom.

I told her she had a choice. After a long day wrenching, I needed to unwind. The choice was easy, I either get to go to an adults only entertainment establishment or come home and then go for an evening boo.

My second, next to never being married ever again demanded I get rid of my bikes. I only had two at the time.

I told her that every evening she went out with the ladies was worth 100 points and each bike was worth 1000 points.

10 months later, I had three bikes.

Then it struck me like a hammer on the beak, If I never got married, never had kids, I could have as many bikes as I wanted.

I’d say all of the comments above have valid points, Jeff...

Do U have the space for 4 M/C’s?

Do U have the time & money to treat them all fairly?

Do U actually go on any Long Rides these days? Will U be in Springfield, MO NEXT WEEK?

Karma will tell U what to do; what goes around, comes around.

We’ve got eight different machines {7 that are now licensed/operational).

Happy Trails whenever U can - Ciao!
HSV-Karen & HSV-Phil
USN-Ret'd —-&-— USAF-Ret’d

'09 650GS-twin — '14 K-GT
'82 R100CS ——— '75 R90S
'16 R1200RS —-— ’05 Vespa 200L
’09 CRF230L —-— ’10 KLX250S
:beer

One thing that I am curious about is the listing of multiple bikes. Are they listed in chronological order of manufacturing date, by the date in which the bike was purchased, or by some other criterion (e.g., most ridden, favorite, etc.)?

The bikes are listed by date of manufacture, not date of acquisition.

As for space, yes, we have dedicated space for the five bikes (which includes my wife's bike).

As for time / money -- they are inexpensive bikes. Can't imagine a 1985 Nighthawk with 49K miles would sell for much. Time...I ride a lot but the Nighthawk in particular needs to run -- the thought of those four carbs gumming up is pretty terrifying. Fortunately, I really like riding it. It is a time machine. I like riding all of them, but tend towards smaller bikes these days.

As for long rides / Missouri -- I picked up the 2005 F650GS in Missouri just a couple of weeks ago and rode it home to New Jersey. Unfortunately, I won't be able to get back there for the rally.

I now own 6 bikes. 5 are here and the newest one lives in Maine. Fortunately I have space to store them, basement in the winter and shed in the summer. Thankfully my missus understands N+1, and doesn't argue it. I want to add an airhead RS to the stable.

Well i've got four, one BMW and three Harleys. I know i'm getting older(69) and really don't need them but trying to decide which one to get rid of would be like trying to decide which of your children you want to sacrifice. I love all of them so hey, i'm keeping all four.

I'll be 74 this month & I've only got 5 bikes now (well, 6 if ya include the lil Bajaj scooter). Number of bikes should only be limited by storage space available!!

Well i've got four, one BMW and three Harleys. I know i'm getting older(69) and really don't need them but trying to decide which one to get rid of would be like trying to decide which of your children you want to sacrifice. I love all of them so hey, i'm keeping all four.

I'll be 74 this month & I've only got 5 bikes now (well, 6 if ya include the lil Bajaj scooter). Number of bikes should only be limited by storage space available!!

This all seems like good advice.

I currently have 5 bikes, 3 BMWs and old Triumph and a Honda that I have worked on for 2 years and still can't get it to start. I am getting a bit long in the tooth, as the English would say at 76 this year. Haven't ridden my R1100RS since pandemic started, but I really enjoy taking that bike on longer rides. The 1st to go would be the Honda and the K bike, which is a nice bike, but I would really hate giving up my R90/6 and the Triumph both which fit me perfectly. The last would be the R1100RS as that heavier bike makes slow speed maneuvering a bit difficult.
Now what really will happened is I don't sell anything and just kept all of them.

I was up to 7 bikes up until a year ago:

- 2007 HP2 Enduro
- 2007 Xchallenge
- 2000 1150GS
- 1986 R80 G/SPD
- 1967 Honda CT90
- 2014 Honda Grom (hey, it counts!)
- 2013 Honda CB500X (in Europe)

Then, something came over me. The first thing is that a new GS properly set up is now a $25-30k proposition. The second thing is I got old and was beginning to have a problem handling tall bikes. The third is that I almost got taken out permanently by a texting truck driver while riding my 1150GS through Wyoming. The fourth thing is that I started riding a lot in Europe. The last thing is that I had an honest discussion with myself about how I was riding my HP2e in the mountains.... :evil

These led me to make some decisions: no more long-distance riding, no more, um, spirited riding, and a lot more riding in Europe.

So...

- 2007 HP2 Enduro - sold
- 2007 Xchallenge - sold
- 2000 1150GS - sold

And since I liked my Honda CB500X in Europe so much, I bought one for here.

And here's the current status:

- 1986 R80 G/SPD
- 1967 Honda CT90
- 2014 Honda Grom
- 2013 Honda CB500X (in Europe)
- 2019 Honda CB500X

Was hoping to get my G/SPD refurb done before the rally next week, but ran into a snag and that's now highly unlikely. Current status:

IMG_0447-X2.jpg

Two presently

2016 RS
2011 RT

With the above I've been through 5 bikes in 4 years searching for the right two for me. The RT stays, the RS is used for twisties spirited riding but never gets over 100 miles in a day.

The RS will likely go, and in it's place a GW trike is in my future.

Sold my 2014 RT LC last month, so down to one now with my GSA. Feeling a little tickle for a cafe-style bike now, though I would keep the GSA.

I'm moto-monogamous...have been since my first ride in the 70s (Suzuki T500 FWIW). I feel guilty when I abuse my motorcycles by neglecting to ride. Since I bought my 2004 R1150R in 2016, I've ridden about 5K miles a year - wouldn't want to ride it any less. Most of the milage is long trips and weekend jaunts into the countryside - I avoid rides in town. (Hey...a couple of times a year I do venture into the heart of Chicago and I've even trans versed Mexico City, but big cities are work not fun.) Since I don't add seat time by shopping or errands one bike is enough.

Back