• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Honk at Animals?

A Related Thought...

I would suspect that straight pipes, on some select models, will produce a response in critters similar, if not more startling, than honking. So, if you are following one of these, just watch for critter chaos in their wake. Just sayin' :whistle - Bob

I would suspect that straight pipes, on some select models, will produce a response in critters similar, if not more startling, than honking. So, if you are following one of these, just watch for critter chaos in their wake. Just sayin' :whistle - Bob

Reminds me of a story...... Annie and I were returning home on the road between Whitehorse and Beaver Creek. As occasionally happens on a trip we found ourselves passing and being passed by another couple on bikes at rest and fuel breaks. They were both riding HDs with straight pipes and had been all the way from Tennessee. They were a nice couple and we struck up conversations when we found ourselves together for a few moments. At one stop the woman mentioned how surprised they were because they not seen any moose, caribou, goats, etc; yet Annie and I saw the normal selection of wild life all along the road. I was wondering why as they pulled away from the stop when the answer hit me like a bat out of ..........

Last edited:
Reminds me of a story....../ ...... how surprised they were because they not seen any moose, caribou, goats, etc; yet Annie and I saw the normal selection of wild life all along the road. I was wondering why as they pulled away from the stop when the anser hit me like a bat out of ..........

Here in Nova Scotia an event called Thunder In The Highlands is held annually on Cape Breton Island and has a large turnout. I have often thought that all that rackett must change the wildlife distribution significantly. That event covers a bit of what we cover on our Salty Fog Riders Rally. I thought it would be 'tongue in cheek' funny to subtitle our gig as Whispers In The Highlands. However, I must admit two additional thoughts about that: 1) we didn't see any wildlife either and 2) maybe loud pipes do save lives (in the forest) :bolt - Bob

Ah, Man........now I really feel bad. :cry

Nah - just kiddiing. I'll probably still honk. :dance

All I ask is that you don't come ride in my area! The riders around here have a good relationship with the ranchers; I wouldn't want someone to spoil it.

Tom

All I ask is that you don't come ride in my area! The riders around here have a good relationship with the ranchers; I wouldn't want someone to spoil it.

Tom[/QUOTE

Well, Tom ........... the one time I did cross the entire width of Kansas (August, 2009), I did not once toot my horn at any livestock.

I was too enamored by the scenery.......4 trees, two rivers and a Wal-Mart.

Seriously, enjoy your 'wide-open spaces' and if ever I shall trod on Kansas soil again, I will remember your admonition and refrain from alerting the fauna to my presence. :dance

Tom[/QUOTE

Well, Tom ........... the one time I did cross the entire width of Kansas (August, 2009), I did not once toot my horn at any livestock.

I was too enamored by the scenery.......4 trees, two rivers and a Wal-Mart.

Seriously, enjoy your 'wide-open spaces' and if ever I shall trod on Kansas soil again, I will remember your admonition and refrain from alerting the fauna to my presence. :dance

:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh:laugh

That's funny I don't care who you are!

Many moons ago I was on a trip with a group that included two Gold Wing riders. They had accessorized their machines with musical air horns. Riding North on I77 from Virginia to Ohio, through every tunnel, I was serenaded by Lara's Theme from Dr Zhivago. I sometimes have nightmares that begin and end with "Somewhere my love....."

I grew up on a farm and had to put down a cow because a guy in a truck honked and our prize milk cow panicked (they do that sometimes), jumped the fence and ran right in front of the next car and ended with broken hind legs. Left an impression with me forever.

I have honked at a moose once (he looked amused and lowered his head in a fake charge) and an Elk (no reaction whatsoever) and a couple of deer ( one turned and fled, the other went right across my path.

I have not honked at golfers but intend to start. :dance

Anytime a fenced in animal is startled bad things can happen. Yesterday my wife's horse was all worked up and got his leg caught up in the fence. As he powered his way free he severed the tendon in his leg and exposed quite a bit of bone.

Having said that I have always liked to honk at birds on the road.

I will often honk at kids on bikes/playing the yard/driveway. When they are close enough to see you can usually see the smiles, otherwise you can see the giant wave back. Kind of fun.

Once at an intersection with a stop sign as the only traffic control in the middle of "town" some kids were stranding on the corner with their bikes doing some weird hand motion when I came up to a stop. I couldn't figure out what they were doing, so I asked the little boy (maybe 7?) He said "spin out your tires!!" I said, you do it on your bike, and I'll do it on mine. He looked down, and said that was a good idea, and the gushed for me to have a great day. My 6 year old was on the back and they chatted for a quick moment before we all went away smiling.

That's not going to happen riding a car. Just sayin'.

Some of you need to meet Buzz Killington
Buzz_Killington.jpg

I have never done that to any animals but I love honking the horn when I pass a golf course when a golfer is about to swing!:whistle

The sponsors of gulf tournaments may resent that as their profit is based on the players highest scores...:brow

(Ok, so I just made that up, but it sounds good,...........don't it?) :laugh

RM

The sponsors of gulf tournaments may resent that as their profit is based on the players highest scores...:brow
(Ok, so I just made that up, but it sounds good,...........don't it?) :laugh

RM

I always wonder why one has to be quiet for the golfers and tennis players...wouldn't it be more fun to cheer & jeer like other sporting events. Talk about playing under pressure:laugh:laugh:laugh
OK all golfers and tennis players, don't get defensive... I know it's some kind of "gentlemen's game" ...but I am poking at tradition.

I still honk as I pass the driving range...especially when I see the Goldwing Trike with the club case on the back parked there and "someone" in mid swing:wave

Quiet Please:dunno

I have only seen deer run away from the sound. Moose and elk on the other hand take a honk as a challenge. When I used to drive a truck for a living, I saw a Freightliner that was probably totalled. The hood was gone, engine and transmission pushed back and down, broken driveshaft, radiator into the fan, with bits of fur and unknown substance all over the place. I asked the technician what the truck hit. He told me a moose was in the road. The driver saw the moose and honked the horn. The moose turned, lowered his head and charged. Instant mooseburger!:hungover EEEWWWWW!

Back