• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Buffaloed!

akbeemer

SURVIVOR
This morning Annie and I were having our morning coffee. It was still dark when one of our cats, Merlin, began howling as he sat on a window sill. He does this when one of the local barn cats wanders through our place, so we shooed him away for the window. An hour or so later, once it was light, Annie looked out the window to see 80 or so buffalo on the slope east of our house and about 50 feet away. Our neighbor rancher has a herd of buffalo in addition to his cattle herd, so we knew where they came from. Annie walked out on our back deck and the buffalo got spooked and before we knew it we had a scene worthy of a John Ford western on our hands. The herd stampeded down the hill, through the middle pasture, across Silver Creek and to south end of the lower pasture adjacent to the quasi-abandoned railroad track. There, most of the herd stopped but a half dozen or so got on the rail bed and headed west, away from where they needed to be. That group soon turned around and rejoined the herd. I called the rancher, Billy. His family has continuously ranched on his land since 1863; he is a very pleasant fellow. Billy was 100 miles away, ironically he was helping a friend on a fence project. There was no one on the ranch that could help us, so I called a neighbor and the three of us decided to herd the buffalo home. Now, I know someone out there is thinking, "Why didn't he fill his freezer with buffalo meat?" Beside the fact that Billy is a friend, in Montana it is a landowner's responsibility to fence animals out of his property, so shoot it and you bought it, but you do not get to keep the meat. Buffalo, even those from domestic herds, are aggressive and skittish and will charge you in numbers; therefore plan A was to observe and do nothing so long as the buffalo were not moving away from where we wanted them to go. On the south side of our property there is an old rail line. It has not been used in 30 years or so except for the occasional storage of rail cars. The land on the other side of the rail line is Billy's; the ranch is both east and south of us. After a bit we three began slowly walking towards the herd remaining about 150 yards away. Our movement started the herd to move slowly across the rail line and thru two large holes in the barbed wire fence on Billy's land. Not sure how or when the holes got there. Took about 20 minutes for the herd to completely cross and climb the ridge onto Billy's land. One group of six doubled back at one point and were troting towards us. I picked up a branch incase I needed to wack my neighbor in the knee (he is young and could out run me), but the breakaway group turned back and joined the herd. And that is how our day started.

Took these after the initial stampede and from a safe distance:

IMG-3646.jpg

IMG-3648.jpg

Well gee, I’m disappointed; you should have sent the younger guy, the one you were going to whack with the stick, up close to the herd for a photo op like they do in Jellystone. :D

Seriously, you handled this well. My wife and I were stopped more than once by bison when riding through Theodore Roosevelt National Park. For creatures of such size and mass, they are amazingly agile and fast.

For me, bison are in the same genus as moose: “animals that will stomp you to death just because they can.”

Good on ya,
DeVern

Agile indeed. When we first saw them, one bull (estimated 1,000 pound) was in our upper pasture, separated from the herd by a four foot wire fence. When the stampede started he jumped the fence from a complete stop. Fences are just a suggestion to Buffalo.

Was a repair made to the fence to keep the herd on Billy’s pasture?

Not by us. The Buffalo moved over 1/2 mile away when we last saw them and Billy was almost home by then. The fences along the railroad right of way are the railroad’s responsibility (BNSF). They are notorious about shirking their responsibilities. The fence on our side has large gaps in it and the wire used has not been made since the 40s (according to an acquaintance who collects barbed wire). I complained to BNSF a few years ago and was told they would get a maintenance crew right on it. Guess they were delayed.

How cool is that. Bison in your back yard. I thought it something to wake up to deer in the front of our house.

I thought of posting some pictures of the ample evidence left behind that proves the wisdom of Roger's advice, but I decided that would be unkind to you.... and me.

Very familiar Kevin......Always in it.....or so it seems :laugh
OM

Back