• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Hexhead Dual-Plug Mystery

wayfast

I purchased a very clean (20K mi) 2007 Hexhead Dual Plug GS last fall and only got to put 1K miles on it before winter storage, so I didn't get to know the bike very well. I was prepping it for summer this week which included new spark plugs. With only 20K on the bike from new I doubt the plugs had been changed previously, and I wanted to upgrade to Iridium.

When I pulled the old plugs, the 2 uppers (accessed through the valve covers) were both a beautiful chalky light brown that indicates good carburation and burning. But when I pulled the lower 2 (accessed from under the cylinders), they were both sooty and black to the extreme. I was puzzled how 2 plugs pulled from the same cylinder and of the same age could be so different from one another. The only explanation I could come up with was that the lower plugs were not firing at all, and perhaps never had for the life of the bike.

My question is: would there have been any obvious symptoms or performance degradation if 1 of the 2 plugs in each cylinder was not firing? My experience during the mileage last fall was that the bike ran fine. It got terrible gas mileage, but otherwise seemed fine. With the new plugs in now it runs noticeably smoother especially at idle, and seems to have gained about 100 rpm at idle. But these could be results of the switch to Iridium.

My theory is supported by something I noticed when I installed the new lower plugs: the lower plug caps can give the false impression that they are secured on the plug when they are not. I had to play around with both of them to get them to click into place on the plug, and had actually already replaced the cover on one before I went back to check it only to find that I had not pressed the cap on all the way. Since I'm fairly certain the old plugs were original, is it possible that these caps might not have been pressed on correctly at the factory? Could this bike have traveled 20K miles with neither of those lower plugs firing the whole time?

If that is unlikely, what else could cause one plug to indicate excellent burning, and another from the same cylinder to be jet black and covered in soot? Love to get your thoughts.

It is normal for the lower Hexhead and Camhead plugs to be much darker than the uppers. From the introductory press release for the 2005 GS:

"Featured in all BMW Boxers since 2003 (with the exception of the 850cc power units), dual ignition has been further modified and improved on the R1200GS. The auxiliary spark plug is now arranged at the outer edge of the cylinder, the ignition timing of both plugs being freely programmable as a function of load and engine speed in order to further optimise running smoothness, emission management, and fuel economy. Referred to as "phase shift", this adjustment process is maintained consistently all the way from part load to full load.

In practice, this means different ignition timing points on both spark plugs in defined control map areas. When approaching full load, where dual ignition no longer provides any benefits, the phase shift effect is so large that the spark crosses over on the auxiliary plug in the expansion cycle (60 degrees at TDC). For all practical purposes this corresponds to single ignition on the central spark plug under full load."

So the lower plugs are only firing near TDC at low rpm and load and do not get as hot as the upper plugs. At higher loads, they contribute nothing to power production.

Not my picture, but these are typical:
plugs.jpg

I'm not sure you would notice if the lower plugs were not firing. I do know from experience that a loose connection to an upper coil will cause stumbling on acceleration, lack of power and prevent revving above 4000 rpm, when the timing on the lower plugs has shifted away from TDC. So I guess that could be a crude test to verify that the lower coil is sparking. Pull an upper coil wire, if the engine runs OK-ish at low load, the lower plug is firing.

It is normal for the lower Hexhead and Camhead plugs to be much darker than the uppers. From the introductory press release for the 2005 GS:

"Featured in all BMW Boxers since 2003 (with the exception of the 850cc power units), dual ignition has been further modified and improved on the R1200GS. The auxiliary spark plug is now arranged at the outer edge of the cylinder, the ignition timing of both plugs being freely programmable as a function of load and engine speed in order to further optimise running smoothness, emission management, and fuel economy. Referred to as "phase shift", this adjustment process is maintained consistently all the way from part load to full load.

In practice, this means different ignition timing points on both spark plugs in defined control map areas. When approaching full load, where dual ignition no longer provides any benefits, the phase shift effect is so large that the spark crosses over on the auxiliary plug in the expansion cycle (60 degrees at TDC). For all practical purposes this corresponds to single ignition on the central spark plug under full load."

So the lower plugs are only firing near TDC at low rpm and load and do not get as hot as the upper plugs. At higher loads, they contribute nothing to power production.

Not my picture, but these are typical:
View attachment 91709

I'm not sure you would notice if the lower plugs were not firing. I do know from experience that a loose connection to an upper coil will cause stumbling on acceleration, lack of power and prevent revving above 4000 rpm, when the timing on the lower plugs has shifted away from TDC. So I guess that could be a crude test to verify that the lower coil is sparking. Pull an upper coil wire, if the engine runs OK-ish at low load, the lower plug is firing.

Great stuff. Thanks for enlightening me. I've had '07 hexheads for a total of over 3 years and yet I never knew this. I guess life is for learning.

I can't speak for a Hexhead or Camhead, but with my '04 1150, if either plug isn't firing, it is harder to start and idles poorly.
My perimeter plugs are also darker, but not by that much...

CSNY's Woodstock song is absolutely right... When we stop learning, ya might as well start shoveling the dirt on top!

Back