• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Help with ABS-2 Fault 2002 1150GS

gf72

I'm looking for help with diagnosing and ultimately repairing a problem with the ABS-2 system on my 2002 1150 GS.

I bought the bike back in January with 26k miles on the clock and an ABS Fault immediately on start-up due to a low battery issue. I installed a new Odyssey PC680 and the fault cleared on it's own. The next 3k miles were problem free. In June, while riding the Cabot Trail, I came to a complete stop for construction traffic and when I pulled away, the self-test failed and the alternating ABS lights came on. When I returned home, I was able to follow the reset procedure (jumping Pins 2 & 4 on the diagnostic connector) and the bike remained fault free for several weeks. The fault has increased in frequency to the point that now it needs to be reset almost daily. When it does pass the self-test, I exercise the ABS by attempting to lock the wheels on dirt roads in the area and the system is clearly working correctly. The bike does have the original rubber brake lines in place, but I do have a well documented history of the brake fluid being flushed regularly. My plan was to replace the lines this winter with either the Galfer or Spiegler kits. Both of the reservoirs have fluid levels within their appropriate ranges, the pedal and lever feel fine, and the bike is stopping well.

I have read everything that I could find related to the issue here and at all the other relevant sites that I could find (ADVrider, IBMWR, Anton Largiader, etc.). I found several reports of using a Multimeter to count voltage drops as a means of reading out the fault code. I have absolutely no experience using a Multimeter, so I read the instructions and made some educated guesses. First, I borrowed a Digital Multimeter, but couldn't make sense of the quick and wild fluctuations in voltage. I went out and bought a very inexpensive Analog Multimeter and the results are in the video below:

http://vid1248.photobucket.com/albums/hh481/GFelicio4/ABS/VID_20150914_102533_019_zpssqvfcw6y.mp4

Hopefully you can see in enough detail, despite my shaky cell phone video work, that I have connected the black (-) probe from the COM port to the #2 ABS pin and the red (+) probe from the Voltage/Ohm/MilliAmp? port to the #4 Ground pin. I have set the Meter to measure Direct Current on a 10 volt scale. The voltage begins at 10+ and clearly drops 7 consecutive times and then stabilizes again at 10+ before repeating the same pattern. Appears to be the dreaded Fault Code 7 - Control Unit. Before I start spending significant money on this (or doing something really silly like tearing into the hydro unit with my very limited mechanical skills) can anyone confirm that I have followed the procedure correctly and that I am using the Multimeter properly? Can I trust the method or should I follow up with a Dealer or Independent shop to confirm?

If I have done this right and I have a legit Control Unit issue, I am leaning in the direction of sending it to Module Master for a rebuild. I'd appreciate any thoughts/advice.

How old is the brake fluid?
Are the brake lines original? Black rubber?
Many failures of this vintage bike are the rubber brake lines deteriorating inside and causing ABS faults, not to mention the risk of crashing.
Replace with SS Braided Teflon and flush with fresh DOT 4.
Many times this will fix a module failure, if not the next step after that is to send it to Module Masters.
You need to start there.
Do you have someone in your area with a GS911 scanner. You can confirm your fault code that way, the dealer can also do it for you.

I have replaced many many sets of these lines now.

Fluid was last flushed back in November. Original black rubber brake lines that I was planning to change this winter. I wasn't aware that new lines could potentially fix the fault. If the Hydro Unit is contaminated with bits of rubber and I replace the lines prior to correcting that situation, will I ruin the new set of lines?

Flushing should get all the rubber out of the lines. Flushing the calipers and the ABS unit itself are probably the tricky bits.

Fluid was last flushed back in November. Original black rubber brake lines that I was planning to change this winter. I wasn't aware that new lines could potentially fix the fault. If the Hydro Unit is contaminated with bits of rubber and I replace the lines prior to correcting that situation, will I ruin the new set of lines?

No you wont.
If you bleed from the reservoirs to the module and then all the way to the calipers with the pistons compressed you will be able to get all the bits out.
I use at least a quart/litre to do both circuits. You will see clear fluid at the end.

Back