• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Has anyone dealt with "cycles r us" in Ohio?

RANBUSH

Ran Bush
I've gotten into my '05 R1200 ST driveshaft replacement far enough to see that the transmission splines are pretty far gone. A shop called "cycles r us" has an ST transmission for sale on eBay for $400, but the ad doesn't say how many miles are on it. I am going to call them tomorrow. Has anyone here dealt with "cycles r us" in Ohio?

Attachments

• splines 1.jpg
    splines 1.jpg
    44.8 KB · Views: 131
  • splines 2.jpg
    splines 2.jpg
    123.8 KB · Views: 132
I looked at that transmission on their web site, I have never bought from them although they are on my list of places to buy from, I don't recall who recommended them,or know any one who has. They say they clean, test and inspect for quality and guarantee it to be good. I blew the images up as large as I could, but they get fuzzy for me, but what I could see they looked OK. I would think they would send a close up if asked.

I would think they would send a close up if asked.

Thanks for the reply, Dave. I spoke to a guy there today and he said he couldn't take a pic because the parts are boxed up and moved to a warehouse after they clean them up. Seems reasonable.

He also said they hadn't made notes as to the mileage of the bike that the trans came out of, but they have a 100% satisfaction guarantee, 30 days to return, and they pay shipping. So I bought it, will assess when I get it, and I will post here as to its condition.

Ran,
I’m curious to see your ST when you get it back together. I’m in the process of doing some much needed work on my 88 RT, and I’ve run into similar issues of having to order parts and send some out for refurbishing. I’m wondering which one of us will get their bike back together first. I’m still waiting to get my drive shaft back. Wish you luck on the ST and hopefully I’ll see you on 4/5 for Barley Therapy.

Update: the used gearbox arrived from Cycles R Us yesterday and it seems pretty tight, input shaft spins smoothly, splines are much better than my old one with 90K miles on it. I called them up to thank them, and ask them if they wanted my old one to rebuild and sell. They said they don't do that, $pecial BMW tool$, nobody there has experience, etc.

The guy I talked to said that they'd had two R1200STs, both had major fuel system or electrical problems, so they parted them out. The good news for me is that he remembered both bikes were very low mileage; the guy thought one of them was around 4K miles, and the other was around 14K miles.

So that bodes well for putting this gearbox into my bike.

Back