• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Remembering Gary Blackman - Blackmans Cycle Emmaus PA.

aholgate

Love living and riding!
I bought my second BMW, a 1996 BMW R1100 RT #326 when Steve Coburn from the International Oilheads Group had been invited to do an introductory Pre-release ride on the new BMW R1100 RT. We were at the Watkins Glen, NY 4-H Fingerlakes Ride when Steve announced the introduction of the bike and showed us some pictures and also the most exciting news... He was granted the power, to take deposits on the new bike as well! Anyone who put a down payment on the bike was given low numbered bikes and T-shirts stating "I bought mine before it was released!" and the serial number of the bike in a line you could fill in. I received my bike about 6-months before production bikes were out and it was delivered to Blackmans Cycle.

The bike I received (pre-release before the production bikes came out) was Serial number #326 and had an RS motor and a GS transmission. The gas tank had a plaque on it with the serial number on it #326. It was a cool bike. I bought it from Blackman's BMW in Emmas PA from Gary Blackman (owner) and Walt Raypole (GM). Because I had two bikes now bought from Gary, I presented an issue of how to get there so I could ride the bike back to NH. Gary called and said, "Hey don't you have an airstrip in Portsmouth?" Well, Gary flew up to NH to Pease Air Base which has the ability to take private planes. I never knew that!

On the way back Gary let me fly the Twin engine Aerostar and it was a blast. We landed and got to the dealership and took possession of my new ride. I can remember Gary saying how cool it was to see a bike that hadn't been released to the public yet. In the years earlier I had such a great experience with the dealership, mostly because of Walt and Gary that I had purchased this '96 RT. I spent years after that riding one bike down to get serviced and then got on the '94 BMW R1100 RSA and rode it back to NH. Gary was gracious enough to keep my other bike there during this time as one or the other was in for service.

Unfortunately, on April 28th, 1997, Gary was killed in his newest plane because what I had heard was an error with the airport and its updating of intersections. This was an incredible man if you were ever able to get to know him personally you would have met a man who cared about his kids very much and was a great friend to me.

This was the start of owning my own BMW's and if there was ever a way to get into BMW bikes with a dealership with such class it this "had" and the staff that put in 110% to their work, it would be a dealership such as this. The respect of customers was from the top down to the salesperson.

RIP Gary Blackman.

Around 1994, I stopped at Blackmans to just window shop. Gary sees me looking over the 900 SS models, and says, “ see that yellow one over there, it’s mine. Here’s the key, give a good run.” I took his somewhat modified Superlight out for about 40 minutes, hitting some nice Northampton backroads. Came back and worked out a trade for my 91 VFR. Good memories.

Blackman's is where I got hooked on BMWs. I ended up not buying my K75 there because I found one cheaper and closer to me, but that is where I first saw one and knew that I wasn't going to get the GPZ750 that I'd gone there to look at.

Back