• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Harley buys MV Agusta & Cagiva

This sounds like a smart move on HD's part, what with the growing Euro economy and the weakening US dollar. It's a good idea to diversify. It sounds like a win win to me as well. Good Job, HD.

I'd love to see some of MV's sophistication show up in the Buell products. They're neat, but they still seem sort of cobbled up to me. That's probably not a valid assessment, given the new Rotax powered 1125, but it still sticks with me.

And I'd still love to have an M2 Cyclone. :ha

Just finished readin'the August MCN,and they did an evaluation on the new 1125R. To quate." And should you need to replace the front spark plug,roll up your sleeves,the engine must be dropeed!"

Harley davidson m V Augusta & Cagiva. Shorten it to HVAC, and, ummm,
I forgot where I was going with this. It's really hot today. Gotta get my air fixed
:jester

:scratch Like hell.

You think the Buell influence will help Tamburini?

Sorry, Tamburini has designed some of the most beautiful motorcycles ever made. Buell makes strange streetfighters with powerplants better suited for agriculture use. (very similar to BMW)

The best thing that could happen is that the HD brass will leave the Cagiva team alone when it comes to design while getting involved on the marketing side where their expertice is obviously situated. Looks like HD got "their" Ducati, just needs a little work.

I think it might be that HD sees the cruiser thing coming to an end. They've been trying to make Buell worthwhile for a decade now, but still not significant market penetration has occurred. HD has wisely perceived that the HD based powerplant is a limiting factor both for performance as well as credibility outside the Faithful. They've taken the first steps toward rectification with the Rotax powered 1125R, but it still has a big dose of Buell oddness and they don't race it, which also hurts, IMHO. What this means is that Buells are hard to sell in Europe, even though the HD brand is doing well.

I think HD sees that the Euro market is where there will be sales. Witness the newly introduced XR1200R that's only going to Europe; at least this year. Sales of HD have been growing in Europe, as well. I think they saw 20% growth last year. By adding MV Agusta and the broader Cagiva brands and products, HD has two brands that will sell well in Europe, but are run by vastly undercapitalized operations. I think if HD puts some capital investment into them, they'll be able to sell MVs en masse and be able to resuscitate MotoGuzzi at the same time.

With the exchange rate like it is, HDs are cheap in Europe. In addition any profit over there on bikes made over there is a Good Thing.

If HD elected to bring MotoGuzzi to the states, there's a vast logistics system available for parts availability, which I understand is also a problem for MV. There's a hundred other reasons I like this, now that I think about it.

I like the merger. I think that as an American that's a fan of some of the European marques, this has the potential to bring Really Good Things to everybody, especially us riders and fans.

Next thing you'll know is that VW will buy Rolls Royce....

J.K. :wow

Oh yeh, they already did.
Actually - not. They thought they bought it and spent a huge amount for it, only to find BMW already owned the name.(through Aero/RR/BMW) It was one of BMW's most clever moves - make the competition way overpay for something they really couldn't have.

Dunno if you noticed, BMW built a nice new factory and is the current owner of RR.. VW got Bentley.

Cool

MV Augusta is in dire need of HDs deep pockets. HD is in need of the technical infusion. Win, win :thumb
Ditto.. and it means MV might actually survive and thrive. One thing HD knows is marketing.. If this hadn't happened, given the debt MV was saddled with I really don't think they would have been around much longer.

What you are more likely to see from VW is a motorcycle.

Does anyone remember the Amazonia? It was a Brazilian motorcycle powered by VW's air cooled flat four. Apparently it was a pretty big bike for the day. I remeber a reviewer writing, "When you approach a bus stop on this bike people start digging for their change."

If HD elected to bring MotoGuzzi to the states, there's a vast logistics system available for parts availability, which I understand is also a problem for MV. There's a hundred other reasons I like this, now that I think about it.

:scratch Piaggio = MG, otherwise I agree the dealer network for both Italian brands will help them in the US and conversely For H-D in the EU this opens up more and more for them with little or no overlap in dealer locations.

:scratch Piaggio = MG, otherwise I agree the dealer network for both Italian brands will help them in the US and conversely For H-D in the EU this opens up more and more for them with little or no overlap in dealer locations.

Yeah, my bad. I think Ducati and MotoGuzzi are siblings these days, right?

Yeah, my bad. I think Ducati and MotoGuzzi are siblings these days, right?

Italian motorcycle companies are as hard to keep track of as the differences in pasta.

Ducati is a stand alone now and doing fine. MG is owned by Piaggio. At one time they have all be part of one another or have been reformulated out of some other group.

:brad

Back