• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GSA Battery Charging Capacity vs CPAP

river-runner

I'm asking a bunch of questions in this discussion, sorry I just lack some basic skills in this area. I'm sure a bunch of folks have had to figure this out before - hope you kept some notes.

I am having to learn how to travel and camp with a CPAP. Need to figure out what would be a safe battery capacity to recharge via the GSA alternator on a daily basis. We'll have 110 power off and on, but it might be a week to depend on the recharging.

I'm jumping the gun a little here, I don't have the CPAP machine I'll be using, so I don't know it's power requirements, but I think we are talking scale here. The vendors of CPAP machines with battery support really don't provide any capacity specs..........but, I've read where guys are using the XP-1 below with success. The XP-1 is a lithium starting battery but let's use it as an example.

I've got a 2017 GSA that has two add-on Denali D-4 lights, total 80 watts I believe. I also run a phone and radar detector. Does anyone know the output of the 2017 GSA alternator?

If I used a battery like the Antigravity Batteries' Micro-Start XP-1, can I recharge this unit from a 30% level during say a 5 hour riding day? 12 Amp Hours x 70% = 8.4 AH
Specs on the XP-1:
Battery Capacity:12000mAh (44.4Wh)
Starting Current: 200A
Output5V-1A. 5V-2A, 12V-10A, 19V-3.5A (I assume I'd use the 12V output and 10A draw would be about 10 times what I'd expect to need.)
Input 15V-1A (Does this mean the XP-1 is limited to pulling 1 A?

I'll connect the XP-1 via SAE cables from the battery. No charger or other regulator in line.

Given the stats above, how long should it take to pull 8.4 AH into the XP-1. Anyone know the AH of the OEM GSA battery?

If you use formula to calculate answers, could you include the formula so I could recreate the logic with different specs?

River-Runner, I will PM you with the email addy of a good friend of mine who figured out the CPAP battery thing years ago. If he can recharge his CPAP battery with a day ride of only a few hours on his airhead, you’ll have no problem doing the same on a GSA.

Best,
DG

I am on my second CPAP, and have also gotten a small travel machine. My original travel machine could run on 12VDC, and I had used it with a Zero Gravity battery. However, my new machine runs on a 24VDC supply, and no portable battery is yet aavailable for it. Just something to keep in mind.

Resmed Air mini has a optional battery pack, will recharge from 12volt power supply,you might look at this setup

I am on my second CPAP, and have also gotten a small travel machine. My original travel machine could run on 12VDC, and I had used it with a Zero Gravity battery. However, my new machine runs on a 24VDC supply, and no portable battery is yet aavailable for it. Just something to keep in mind.

Can't you cable two 12-volts to make 24V? Makes things a little more complex.....

Back