• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

GS vs RT for taller guy

BostonG

Hi, have a 2013 R1200GS and thinking of swapping it out to try a new bike. The RT has my interest but curious on the comfort factor. I'm 6'1" and 34" inseam. Rode an RT (regular seat) and the seating style felt cramped. Lowered the pegs and raised the handlebar on the gs (and got a high Sargent seat). Really comfortable fit. Know the same options are available for an RT but hoping to hear from others that tried it. All my riding is on road.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

No matter what you do the GS will have you sitting more upright because the bars are higher and a bit closer.

With a 34" inseam, GS/GSA and XR are going to open up your knee angle the most. RT and 16GT have a tighter lower ergo, even modified.

I am 6-3 with 34" inseam. I have wethead RTs. Ilium bar backs and Suburban Machinery foot peg lowering kits.

Also have Russell Day Long Saddles.

Perfect. Best motorcycles I have ever owned, including several GSs.

accessories-2.jpg

Rich Hnrion is 6-7 with a 38" inseam. He has put 100K miles on his 2016 R1200RT.

Last edited:
Thanks for the input. The seating position of the GS is great. But doing more highway driving (no offroad) and except for very hot days, seems like the RT is better suited for long hauls with more protection from wind/etc...

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

I have an 05 GS (now for sale) and just picked up a 17 RT. I am 6’4” with a 34” inseam and find the RT much more comfortable for road use. Love both bikes but the RT is the best I have owned in along time!

I am 6’3” tall with 34” inseam and own both a GS and RT and recently sold my 2012 GSA. There is no doubt the GSA will have the most leg room based on how bent your legs are when seated on the bike. If that is your main goal then without a doubt go with the R1200GSA or the 850GSA (which is currently the tallest bike in the BMW lineup). But my own experience is that my leg bend angle does not always equate to more comfort. I was concerned that my 2016 RT having a more bent leg riding position than my ‘06 RT would result in comfort issues. But I found that was not the case at all and after 3 6000 mile 24 day trips my 2016 RT is every bit as comfortable as my 2006 and with a flatter wider seat standard I’d say it’s MOrE comfortable. And I’ve found no need for peg lowering or bar risers.

Same when I swapped my 2012 GSA for a 2018 standard GS. I find the 2018 standard GS more comfortable than my 2012 GSA which was taller than the LC GSA.

My point is seat height and leg bend are not always the only factors in Rider comfort. I would try and ride the bike you are considering and then when you get it home do not immediately buy options to change ergonomics but rather ride the bike a bit and see if you really need any changes. You may be surprised

6'4", 35" inseam, '16 RT w/ the tall seat in the high position is all I need for comfort w/o any modifications. 3 months after I bought it new I did a 10K mile trip on it and it was fabulous. I don't care for the 'adventure' styling for riding on pavement--throwing a leg over its side case is not pleasant for the hips and poorer wind management for those bikes as well don't appeal, though I'd happily take the lighter weight form factor of GS bikes. But that is a minor point compared to the comfort accouterments of my RT.

Back