• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Grip Puppies

biliv

Thanks to other contributors for turning me on to Grip Puppies. I've got big hands and feel that these may make a big difference.
Question: can anyone tell me if adding foam grip covers negatively impacts the heat supply from heated grips?
Tx!

I use them and my experience is that it takes longer for the heat to come through the grips but ultimately the temperature gets to the same level as without the GPs.

Because of the shape of some of BMW's grips (barrel shape, not a true cylinder) some extra care may be in order for installation. An extra pair of hands will help, too.

If they are at all like the Grip Buddies it will work with the heated grips,just a bit longer to warm.

I abandoned the Grip Buddies after about six months- the neoprene fell apart and I wS back to the beginning. So I improvised and used some paracord to wrap the grips. Easy peasy and nearly indestructible. Great grip feel as long as you're a glove wearer.

There is also a brand called Grip Buddies. They have a velcro sealed seam instead of having to slide them over the existing grip. It is easy to place the seam where it does not interfer with your grip.

A good technique for getting the Grip Puppies on is to put a sandwich baggie in the opening of the GP and slide it and the GP on at the same time. You have to pull the plastic out in multiple pieces, but it makes the process much easier.

Of course, that opinion is based upon the two occasions you've used your hand warmers in the past ten years in the Hill Country of Texas.

:laugh
Yeah...actually used mine early yesterday ...had to be around 60. Brrr:stick

I have used 409 spray to get the grips on.It will dry in a day with no harm.
I think the velcro version are Original Beemer Buddies, have them on a few bikes as well, not as thick as the slide on version

Thanks to other contributors for turning me on to Grip Puppies. I've got big hands and feel that these may make a big difference.
Question: can anyone tell me if adding foam grip covers negatively impacts the heat supply from heated grips?
Tx!

I've tried both (on my BMW R1200 GS Adv) and these made by Excel Cycle Works, IMHO, are much better:

http://www.excelcyclewerkes.com/index_files/Page1340.htm

The heat transfer is quicker than with the grip puppies, and you don't get any stink of burning rubber/glue, whatever. For those of you with the older style bikes sans cruise control, he offers a unique friction drag for the throttle with an instant on/off separate from the drag setting.

In the old days, I preferred the Beck grips (football shaped) miles more comfortable for large hands than anything I've seen available today.

image13981.jpg

image480.jpg

Regards All,

~Radix

Last edited:
Back