• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Foam Hand Grip Covers

Paul_F

RK Ryder
Being somewhat long in the tooth with a sometimes poor memory, can someone tell me name of the company that sells foam grip covers that reduce the bike’s vibrations? The ones on my bikes are in need of replacements.

Thanks!

Paul

I've used Grip Puppies or Grip Buddies; I forget which one.
But they are the type that wrap around the grip and not the type that slips over the grip. Much better.

If you order direct, I think you get a discount as an MOA member.
They're a small family owned business in upstate NY.
Nice people.

Joe

Thanks Lee!

The price is half of Grip Buddies.

Does anyone know if both sets of grips give the same amount of vibration reduction and last about the length of time? :dunno

Cheers!

Paul

I've had Grab-ons on my RT since new (May, 2015). I added them to "fatten" the oem grips. No complaints. About 40k miles on them.

Thanks Lee!

The price is half of Grip Buddies.

Does anyone know if both sets of grips give the same amount of vibration reduction and last about the length of time? :dunno

Cheers!

Paul

I can't answer your question on both, but I've used grip puppies on 3 Beemers in the last 5 years [ still own two ]. One of the first, least expensive and easiest upgrades for any of the motors I ride has been the grip puppies.

Vibration reduction is there, to date mine have lasted 4-5 years. They absorb very little water, but they do absorb some. My experience is they dry out pretty quickly when caught in a downpour. For a sawbuck, if they've lasted 4 year, it amounts to pennies a day.

That's about how long mine have lasted. :)

Knowing they are wear items, I expected I'd be replacing them if they were used long enough. I'm not really that excited about the brand that wraps around the grip and is velcroed to itself, having to worry about where to start the grip so the overlap isn't creating issues with hands on the grips.

My brother was adamant he'd never use them. Till this March when he came in from the snow and cold to ride a few days on my second motor, the RS. First stop for gas, he wants a pair for his 07GT. I ordered them for him from here and they were waiting for him when he got back to the cold and snow country.

I understand a lot of people think they make the grip to "fat". I find the stock grips are too skinny and my hands tire far quicker. The grip puppies solve a few issues I have with bmw grips.

I'm still torn between skinny and fat grips. I enjoyed the fat ones on long trips and the vibration damping but didn't like the water retention and lack of heat retention.

Previously the Grip puppies lasted me about 4 years/34000kms and I was considering replacing them at that point.

Grip puppies are the 1st mod I do on all BMW's I buy based on narrow grips and my big mitts. I just replaced a set that's been on my K16 for 6 years. Nothing wrong with them but they were getting squished a bit.

Alternative Means to Enlarge Grips

I installed these O-rings when the 2016 RS was new and over 7 years and 148,000 miles later they still are on the bike.
IMG_2337.jpg

I installed these O-rings when the 2016 RS was new and over 7 years and 148,000 miles later they still are on the bike.
View attachment 92463

Tried them on the RS for several thousand miles, they weren't that comfortable. Took them off and grip puppies went on. Gave them to my brother who wanted to try them. He rode a few thousand miles and bought the grip puppies.

Back