• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS unit

bhyko

I am going to buy a GPS unit for my 2018 GS. Is the BMW Navigator VI6 sat nav the way to go, or is something like the WunderlinQ mounting bracket for my cell phone the answer? I have reservations that the cell phone would not be as durable as the VI6.
Robert

Nav 6's have had major issues for a few years now.

Most I see posting elsewhere are going to the Garmin Zumo series. Utterly reliable, not sure if you can use the wonder wheel or not with the Zumo's. They fit the bmw nav cradles, just have to find the right model.

I was in need of another Nav unit last year, secured a 5 knowing that series has been utterly reliable also.

You've got choices

I am going to buy a GPS unit for my 2018 GS. Is the BMW Navigator VI6 sat nav the way to go, or is something like the WunderlinQ mounting bracket for my cell phone the answer? I have reservations that the cell phone would not be as durable as the VI6.
Robert

The NavVI has had some screen reliability issues resulting in “ghosting”, where the screen reacts as if it is being activated or controlled by an invisible hand. To their credit, Garmin has been very good about replacing the units and making the process as easy as possible. But that doesn’t help when you’re 800 miles from home and the screen wigs out.

A popular replacement is the Garmin ZumoXT, which is a faster and more reliable GPS. The biggest downside to the XT is that it doesn’t utilize the wonder wheel. Another issue is mounting—Garmin does include a motorcycle mount with the XT, but some users have found ways to mount the XT into the BMW Nav Prep mount, either by purchasing an adapter from an Italian company (https://www.adapter3dmotorrad.it/en/product/e-navxt/) or by other means.

Some examples of other mountings can be seen in these threads:

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/garmin-zumo-xt-locking-adapter-for-bmw-gps-mount.1618759/

https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/zumo-xt-in-nav-6-cradle.1477228/

Best,
DeVern

I switched from a NAV VI to the XT when I went from an R1200GSA to an R1250GSA. The ability to use the wonder wheel to have visibility of motorcycle data (for example: tire pressure, engine temp, battery) is a great feature, but the 1250’s TFT has a screen that provides much of the same information which leaves the GPS screen available for navigation. When I used a NAV VI, as does my wife continues to do, we had three NAV VI’s between us which was insurance against an on the road failure. As DeVern mentioned, Garmin continues to replace faulty unit’s quickly and with minimum fuss. They have indicated they plan to continue to do until they resolve the ghosting issue. They think they will fix the problem by the end of this year…. At least that’s the plan. Annie continues to use a NAV VI on her R12GS. I discovered that the NAV VI works in a 660 cradle, so she uses it on her F8GS sidecar outfit as well as her Ural.

Back