• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GPS alternative

DavidR8

I've been looking for a GPS solution for a few years now. I had an iPhone running the TomTom Go app . I really liked the mobile app and the planning app but it was not an all-weather solution and it wasn't glove-friendly.
Just couldn't bring myself to drop $600 on an XT.
I ran across a rugged smartphone called a Umidigi Bison X10. It has a 6.5" screen, is fully waterproof and shockproof for $120CDN.
Received it today and I'm very impressed.

Last edited:
Which navigation app do you prefer with it? How is the brightness in full sun?
The app that I've used the most and prefer is TomTom Go. It has all the same functionality as a dedicated GPS with the exception of taking calls and playing music.
I have tried Sygic, Google maps and another whose name I've forgotten.
Brightness seems to be just fine in full sun.

Might be worth looking at the MOA's free TourStart subscription. App seems to work well, the desktop web interface is good, and the routes could transfer from desktop to your primary device to your dedicated device. Or export as GPX for other uses.

1707431784260.png

Found on https://www.bmwmoa.org/page/memberdiscounts

I downloaded all the North American and European maps over wifi at home.
I need to try that. I have a nice tablet, WiFi only, that I would like to use for navigation. Which is essentially what you're proposing.
Let me get this straight: Download maps and hit the road. No need for a data connection or cell service.
Thanks for the tip!!

I need to try that. I have a nice tablet, WiFi only, that I would like to use for navigation. Which is essentially what you're proposing.
Let me get this straight: Download maps and hit the road. No need for a data connection or cell service.
Thanks for the tip!!
As long as the device has a GPS receiver it will work

As long as the device has a GPS receiver it will work
David, any chance you can see if the Avenza app is available to be downloaded to your device? I use it for running my SxS in the Black Hills and I am looking for an alternative to my iPhone to use. The Avenza app is the best thing I have found for that purpose.

David, any chance you can see if the Avenza app is available to be downloaded to your device? I use it for running my SxS in the Black Hills and I am looking for an alternative to my iPhone to use. The Avenza app is the best thing I have found for that purpose.
It’s in the Google Play store so I expect it will work fine.

It’s in the Google Play store so I expect it will work fine.
Nice, thank you. In the meantime let us know how the device is working for you after putting it to a little more use. I'd be interested in battery life and the perceived durability of the device.

Back