• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

GL Mottotrek 25L Pannier and Quick Disconnect Mount Install on my '14 R1200GS Adv

bigjohnsd

'21 R1250 GS Adv
Assembled and installed a set of Giant Loop Mottotrek 25L Soft Panniers
https://www.giantloopmoto.com/product/mototrekk-panniers/
giant-loop-mototrekk-1.jpg

after solid mounting them to a set of Giant Loop Quick Release Pannier Mounts
giant-loop-panier-mount-1.jpg

The Mottotrek Panniers are not designed to be hard-mounted to these brackets but after a short discussion with a helpful Giant Loop Technician, I had an idea and a method in mind.

I had to remove the center straps and two plastic buckles at the top of the pannier and procure four longer 5mm screws for the top two holes on each side.

Walmart was the source for two polyethylene cutting boards which provide stabilization and structure on the inside.
I cut the boards to size and then marked the location of the mounting plate holes.
Drilled the holes in the boards, places the boards into the panniers, and marked the two upper holes.

20210316_162755-jpg.2864289

I made the two upper holes in the bags with a hot pencil-style soldering iron.
Loosely bolted the two upper screws through the support, pannier, and mounting plate.
Smoothed the pannier fabric and pulled any wrinkles out and tightened the top fasteners.
I then carefully poked the middle set of holes using the soldering Iron and installed the middle screws.

Did the same thing on the bottom set of screws.
Once all the holes were complete I removed the nuts and sealed each screw penetration through the pannier with Silicone Sealant and reassembled the pannier/mount.

20210316_163215-jpg.2864288

They work great on my factory pannier racks and give me an option to the factory aluminum panniers.

20210316_163146-jpg.2864290

Next is an Optest in AZ/NM next week.

They hold a little less than the factory panniers so I am weeding out all but the necessities from my kit.

Alex at BH Moto https://blackhillsmoto.com/ treated me right on the acquisition.

Back