• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

Gear Shift Bearing Question

mbellantone

AirandOil In NJ
Hey kids, just replaced the new needle bearing and race bolt on the gear shift on my '84 R80RT. Yes, this is the type that I only seem to have where you need to take off the left foot peg which has the shift lever bolted to it, (from the engine side). I say that I'm the only one who seems to have this is because no matter what manual or fische I go to they always show the shifter bolting on from the outside.

Question is, I did not notice any bushing, ringwasher or the like that took up any lateral freeplay between the shifter and the bracket it's bolted to on the foot peg and when tightened to the point where it will go no more there is still a slight bit of lateral movement between the peg and the shifter.

I do not like this.

Considering that the bearing I replaced was horrifically worn and I don't remember my last airhead from 15 years ago, should this play be there? Like I said, i have no other pictoral reference so I can't tell if it's missing a VERY thin washer or not to take up this extra play..

thanks in advance for your help.

Michael

I assume yours has the shift link that goes from the toe shifter to the actual input shaft. If so, it's like mine on my '80 R100RT. No, I don't think that the factory supplied a thrust washer on this part. I've put 2 of them on my scooter and both had some play like you describe. I just used grease to keep it lubed up as much as possible. You could certainly go to your local Ace or True Value and maybe find a thrust washer that would work. No reason it wouldn't.
Also, be careful of the aluminum link between the shifter and the input shaft. They are prone to breakage. Indeed, one on my bike broke 600 miles from home. Lucky for me a couple Harley riders with tools and an "S" hook saved the day and got me home ok. One of them said, "I didn't think BMW's ever broke down. Our Harleys do it all the time!"

Little Egypt Airheads
'66 R50/2
'76 R75/6
'80 R100RT

"History may not repeat itself, but it sure rhymes."
Mark Twain

Get two or three metric wavy type washers. Use one or two - whatever it takes to take up the play without binding.

I have a R75/6 that I installed the later shift linkage on, but the gear change pedal had a bushing in it that was worn out, So I made a new bushing,and a new pivot bolt from stainless. The link between the pedal and the gear box was sloppy so I used two 1/4" hiem joints, a left and a right and a short piece of tubing to make the link, and two 6mm bolts to atach it. This arangement has been on for over 100,000 miles and it still shows little ware. I don't think that is the best location for a needle bearing unless it is sealed

Ken G.

Back