• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas pump etiquette

We all agree it's obvious that courtesy and manners are a thing of the past. I agree, too, that it's prudent to pick battles you may win rather than wasting energy on fighting a losing battle- this is the 90/10 rule of life; 90% you have zero control over, 10% is yours to control and manage. Where does your energy and time go? Into the 10%. :thumb

And violence is not the way to handle anything, unless it is simply unavoidable thru no fault of your own.

It is my firm belief, that the best we can do, at the end of the day, is to simply BE the change we want to see in this world. This keeps our own slate clean, and provides an example to anyone who may be looking for one. We can really only change our little piece of the world, in small ways, thru our own actions. IF by some chance, somebody else is inspired by our actions to have courtesy and respect, then hallelujah.
:dance

Cheers guys.
Shiny side up!

We all agree it's obvious that courtesy and manners are a thing of the past. I agree, too, that it's prudent to pick battles you may win rather than wasting energy on fighting a losing battle- this is the 90/10 rule of life; 90% you have zero control over, 10% is yours to control and manage. Where does your energy and time go? Into the 10%. :thumb

And violence is not the way to handle anything, unless it is simply unavoidable thru no fault of your own.

It is my firm belief, that the best we can do, at the end of the day, is to simply BE the change we want to see in this world. This keeps our own slate clean, and provides an example to anyone who may be looking for one. We can really only change our little piece of the world, in small ways, thru our own actions. IF by some chance, somebody else is inspired by our actions to have courtesy and respect, then hallelujah.

Cheers guys.
Shiny side up!

Well stated. Thanks for the wise counsel

Show them your MOA hat!

No one will know what it stands for - tell them it's "Moment Of Attack!" :dance

Very inventive, funny too!

There is an Esso near my daughter's house that has good prices and is on my way home, so I gas there a lot.

It has a small Tim Horton's coffee counter, so it encourages folks to pay inside and get a coffee too. So, you wait a lot at the pump.

Still it is only a minor delay in a full 24 hour day, so maybe a shake of the head and a bit of a wry smile goes a long way.

Cheers guys.
Shiny side up!
I actually DON'T agree that "courtesy and manners are a thing of the past." I see that very thing all the time on the road - cars very careful of bicycle riders, stopping for pedestrians, letting people onto the road from a parking lot. Again, maybe small town British Columbia, Canada is an anomaly. But I DEFINITELY agree with the last paragraph quoted. I believe courteous behavior changes the person who receives it every bit as much as rude behavior does. Our courteous behavior really does change people for the better - plus we get to feel good about ourselves - even if we don't see those slightly changed lives.

And in the US where a lot of people carry guns, it certainly seems a better option than confrontation.

Very inventive, funny too!

There is an Esso near my daughter's house that has good prices and is on my way home, so I gas there a lot.

It has a small Tim Horton's coffee counter, so it encourages folks to pay inside and get a coffee too. So, you wait a lot at the pump.

Still it is only a minor delay in a full 24 hour day, so maybe a shake of the head and a bit of a wry smile goes a long way.

So, how is the TH coffee doing since the Burger King came to town?

So, how is the TH coffee doing since the Burger King came to town?

The cup stopped shrinking. I'm not much of a TH fan but I swear that cup kept getting smaller. Now, as far as I can tell, it's back to it's original size. TH coffee, IMO, is still a modest application of the coffee bean. Other than this brief departure in the conversation, it has become an interesting topic with some unique perspectives on our, usually, brief encounters getting fuel. I like letting the fuel being the only combustable material during those moments. - Bob

Other than this brief departure in the conversation, it has become an interesting topic with some unique perspectives on our, usually, brief encounters getting fuel. I like letting the fuel being the only combustable material during those moments. - Bob

I think I was just scolded by a Canadian.........

I've lived all over the U.S. and in my experience, courtesy can be somewhat regional. I spent a lot of time on the East coast (Philly and D.C.)...courtesy, not so much. Drivers in Seattle tend to be more courteous...Oregon is definitely the most courteous place I've ever lived. Just my .02.

Common courtesy is really not that common.....:banghead

A late arrival to this thread but it reminded me of a photo I took during last year's MOA Rally in Billings. Took a side trip to the Little Bighorn NM on Saturday. It wasn't too busy in the various parking lots, (my group of bikes is in the background), but this guy felt that parking in a marked spot was below his station so he blocked part of the crosswalk and part of the handicap spot. As we walked back to our bikes, there was not a handicap placard or plate to be found on this bike.

Like you mentioned, common courtesy isn't.

Jackass Parking.jpg

A late arrival to this thread but it reminded me of a photo I took during last year's MOA Rally in Billings. Took a side trip to the Little Bighorn NM on Saturday. It wasn't too busy in the various parking lots, (my group of bikes is in the background), but this guy felt that parking in a marked spot was below his station so he blocked part of the crosswalk and part of the handicap spot. As we walked back to our bikes, there was not a handicap placard or plate to be found on this bike.

Like you mentioned, common courtesy isn't.

View attachment 56420
There's got to be more to this story. Even if one wants to park like a jerk, that's hardly a "good" spot by any measure unless he's off to the side taking a pic of it or something. I can't imagine WANTING to park there.

There's got to be more to this story. Even if one wants to park like a jerk, that's hardly a "good" spot by any measure unless he's off to the side taking a pic of it or something. I can't imagine WANTING to park there.

Sometimes special people are just dumb a$$es.

As it turned out, I was the only one taking a photo of it. The rider was walking the interpretive trail nearby.

Back