• Welcome, Guest! We hope you enjoy the excellent technical knowledge, event information and discussions that the BMW MOA forum provides. Some forum content will be hidden from you if you remain logged out. If you want to view all content, please click the 'Log in' button above and enter your BMW MOA username and password.

If you are not an MOA member, why not take the time to join the club, so you can enjoy posting on the forum, the BMW Owners News magazine, and all of the discounts and benefits the BMW MOA offers?

• Beginning April 1st, and running through April 30th, there is a new 2024 BMW MOA Election discussion area within The Club section of the forum. Within this forum area is also a sticky post that provides the ground rules for participating in the Election forum area. Also, the candidates statements are provided. Please read before joining the conversation, because the rules are very specific to maintain civility.

The Election forum is here: Election Forum

Gas pump etiquette

henzilla

not so retired
Staff member
Stopped for a fuel up yesterday and observed some extremely inconsiderate behavior.

OK, it's Saturday, a popular road, only station on this stetch in three possible directions. It's a 6 island set up, so 12 opportunities and scanning I think I see a middle area free...except three bikes are parked between the two pump areas blocking the complete width and two pumps...and NO riders in sight.:dunno

I make another circle to one spot over next to a fellow filling many 5 gal. jugs, nod to him as I shut down the bike and flip up helmet. I fuel up, still not seeing owners of the very shiny bikes. Glance up towards sidewalk in front of store,which has tables, to see three 40ish fellas eating tacos and sipping coffee. Kinda put them as the owners with the brand attire. These guys are not outlaws, more likely 9-5rs and 20 miles and a stop owners.

Unbelievable:banghead How friggin' long you knuckleheads been sitting there?
Do you not see the volume of customers waiting for fuel? Do you even care?

I was talking to the older jug filler, who said" what a nice day for a ride" and "nice
Beemer"
I agreed and thanked him...then added I didn't know they had covered bike parking here? He about dropped the nozzle:laugh He called them wearers of tail hats and I too had a chuckle.
I pulled gloves back on , made a tight 180 and intentionally squeezed the Roadster between two of the bikes at a good speed as I made eye contact with the now
attentive boneheads. Gave them a shrug and a WTF hand gesture as I rolled by them
saying "seriously?". The looks had me convinced they were both inconsiderate idiots and clueless.But I think I made them pee a little running their blockade.

We almost always fuel and move...unless there are no folks in sight and it's really
raining. Even then, we try to get out of the way if we are stopping for more than fuel.
Just seems like common courtesy...maybe a dying virtue:scratch

Definitely idiotic...did the top cover extend inward to the store part?? Couldn't they have filled and rolled the bikes closer to the curb by the store? :banghead

Almost seems like the owner of the station should have said something to them...their lack of courtesy was costing him money and aggravating his customers, some who might have backed up and driven somewhere else. :dunno

We almost always fuel and move...unless there are no folks in sight and it's really
raining. Even then, we try to get out of the way if we are stopping for more than fuel.

If a lot of pumps are open we will leave the bikes at the pump if I need to run in to use the restroom.
If there's only a few pumps open we move the bikes away from the pumps.

When I get fuel for my car or bike I never leave it at the pump and run in whether to pay or getting something else. I always move ahead with the car and / or the bike.

Definitely idiotic...did the top cover extend inward to the store part?? Couldn't they have filled and rolled the bikes closer to the curb by the store? :banghead

Almost seems like the owner of the station should have said something to them...their lack of courtesy was costing him money and aggravating his customers, some who might have backed up and driven somewhere else. :dunno

Islands and awning were at least 40' from storefront...it was sunny, but not summer hot. The drive slopes a tad at the store and without backing in, would have them having to push bikes out...not cool ya know:brow There were open spots for show-n-tell close enough to their cafe seating.

I think the owner was so busy, he wasn't aware of it. If there were other stations, folks def would pass that waiting scenario. This is a busy place near Hamilton Pool , the collapsed grotto county park just SW of Austin on RR12.

What irks me is guilt by association...all m'cycle riders get the blame. Even when I rode that brand, I was considerate to others in similar conditions.

It happens across the country with cagers as well...even worse when its a 2 or 4 pump station and several occupants go shopping and bathroom waiting, then the pumper walks away about the time they get back as you wait behind them.
Courtesy means nothing

Glad to know it happens to someone other than me :). It seems now days that rude, inconsiderate and just plain stupid, is the norm. I try to do otherwise.

Makes us all look bad when bike riders do dumb things like this.

But on the topic of move or don't move before going in to pay - In Australia it is not common to move before paying as many gas stations are paranoid or "drive off" incidents.
I'm not certain what the standard is in the US and would appreciate some local knowledge as my wife and I will be back soon.

If the gas station is busy with lots of vehicles is it common to move your bikes (or cars for that matter) before going in to pay?
When we tour there (the US that is) we have two bikes, I usually do the filling duties, and my wife goes in to pay. Moving bikes can be a hassle with full touring kit, helmets off, gloves etc.etc. and I figure it is only 2 minutes or so to go in and pay, but if it is crazy on the driveway with people wanting to fill up, it may still be good form to move forward or aside.

Does this freak out the attendants in the store? Do they get nervous that you are doing more than just moving aside?

Does this freak out the attendants in the store? Do they get nervous that you are doing more than just moving aside?

A long time ago before is was common to pay at the pump we got chewed out once for moving away from the pump before paying inside.
If you are not able to use your card at the pump I would keep doing as you have in the past and have your wife pay inside.
Once she has paid you can move the bikes if you need a break.

Will your credit card work at the pump in the US?

Yeah that's pretty rude. Even if a place is not that busy, blocking pumps for an extended period is inconsiderate. As paying customer you have the same rights as anyone else of course. Bathroom stop or picking up something inside and moving on is fair IMO, but sitting there eating? Lame.

We try to pay with a credit card, since using debit with a PIN number has scamming opportunities on unsecured pumps and an add on card scanner by PIN stealing crooks...more common than folks want to believe. Have had a local string of that going on recently.
In the States, a US Postal billing zip code is required with a credit card, making Canadians and others have issues...surely a workaround possible as we used cards in Canada:dunno Some stations don't ask for the postal Zip code at the pump...it just comes on after the swipe.

Maybe a traveling expense card as most hotels require one...even with cash in hand, suppose due to damages they could incur.

We do on occasion pay cash and pull straight up to store, pay before restroom break if possible. Have been in stations where they really monitor who pushed Pay Inside at the pump. Sometimes the card reader doesn't work and one of us goes inside to pay and have pump turned on. Wearing a helmet into a store freaks them out more these days!
I would rather freak out the clerk and move the bike (s) than have some angry bike hating nutjob engage in stupid behavior...which has happened to us on occasion...gotta love road rage at the pumps:banghead If it's a high volume station, we get out of the way like I hope folks do for us.

One has only to look at the ground at a traffic light and see the cigarette butts, teeth cleaning devices and other litter to see the larger problem.
One has only to see the neighbor blowing the leaves and grass into the street to see the larger problem.
One has only to see the person pumping gas while smoking to see a real problem.
One has only to see a person get pissed at someone for doing something they did just 30 minutes ago.
One has only to look at the "sports heroes" and their behavior to see the "moulding" of the new society.

A little something from the past- George Washington's Rules of Civility

Try to say "your welcome" and not "no problem" when someone says "thank you"........And say "Thank You" as often as you can.

Lastly, think of what you just did and what the people behind you will think of your actions.

OM

Have been in stations where they really monitor who pushed Pay Inside at the pump.
Not all of them pay attention.
Last year we fueled at the Turner Bend Store in Arkansas. Only a couple pumps there and we wanted to take a break so I pushed the bikes to the front of the store when I was done filling the bikes.
A couple other bikes pulled up to the store and started to talk to us right away.
After 30 minutes or so I look at Debbie and ask if she paid. Nope. I go inside and told the girl I had forgot to pay.
She thanked me for paying and admitted she had not noticed I had not paid.

I don't know about Australia, but I don't recall seeing a station in the western states and several eastern states in many many years where you don't have to pay before you fill up.
With that system, it's impossible to drive away without paying. You don't get any gas coming out til you pay in advance.
Now, I could have been mistaken, that they were not requiring that and I just paid in advance. But I thought they all went to that many years ago.
I haven't been to Iowa or Kansas in a long time. And I probably won't ever be back there, so I don't know about there.
dc

So if it's crowded, you move the bike, then go in and get your change. Or if not crowded, go in get change, then move the bike if you are going to spend some time there, eating or drinking, for instance.

We try to pay with a credit card, since using debit with a PIN number has scamming opportunities on unsecured pumps and an add on card scanner by PIN stealing crooks...more common than folks want to believe. Have had a local string of that going on recently.
In the States, a US Postal billing zip code is required with a credit card, making Canadians and others have issues...surely a workaround possible as we used cards in Canada:dunno Some stations don't ask for the postal Zip code at the pump...it just comes on after the swipe.

Maybe a traveling expense card as most hotels require one...even with cash in hand, suppose due to damages they could incur.

We do on occasion pay cash and pull straight up to store, pay before restroom break if possible. Have been in stations where they really monitor who pushed Pay Inside at the pump. Sometimes the card reader doesn't work and one of us goes inside to pay and have pump turned on. Wearing a helmet into a store freaks them out more these days!
I would rather freak out the clerk and move the bike (s) than have some angry bike hating nutjob engage in stupid behavior...which has happened to us on occasion...gotta love road rage at the pumps:banghead If it's a high volume station, we get out of the way like I hope folks do for us.

In British Columba (and maybe all of Canada) you have to pay before you fill your tank with gas. No, they don't want you taking off without paying. The easy way is to insert your credit card at the pump, punch in your PIN number, remove the card when the display says so, fill the tank, then park elsewhere if you need to use the bathroom or buy a candy bar. Henzilla says he uses his US credit cards in Canada - and I presume the dollar difference shows up on his credit card bill. Wouldn't you think the US could extend Canadians the same courtesy? Been a few years since I travelled to the US and thought this would have been fixed by now.

Really, if you are Canadian citizen, do you want to go into the US gas station office, produce more than enough money (US money, not Canadian money, or God knows what their exchange rate will be, or if they will even take Canadian bills) to fill your tank, go back out and fill your tank, then go back in to get your change? I had this problem the last time I was in the US - but ONLY at gas stations. Restaurants and stores had no problem accepting my Canadian credit card.

Anyone have an explanation? To me, this is just another form of "rudeness at the pumps."

In British Columba (and maybe all of Canada) you have to pay before you fill your tank with gas. No, they don't want you taking off without paying. The easy way is to insert your credit card at the pump, punch in your PIN number, remove the card when the display says so, fill the tank, then park elsewhere if you need to use the bathroom or buy a candy bar. Henzilla says he uses his US credit cards in Canada - and I presume the dollar difference shows up on his credit card bill. Wouldn't you think the US could extend Canadians the same courtesy? Been a few years since I travelled to the US and thought this would have been fixed by now.

Really, if you are Canadian citizen, do you want to go into the US gas station office, produce more than enough money (US money, not Canadian money, or God knows what their exchange rate will be, or if they will even take Canadian bills) to fill your tank, go back out and fill your tank, then go back in to get your change? I had this problem the last time I was in the US - but ONLY at gas stations. Restaurants and stores had no problem accepting my Canadian credit card.

Anyone have an explanation? To me, this is just another form of "rudeness at the pumps."
Funnily enough I found this mostly in the state of Washington. Seems Montana and Idaho, and indeed some parts of Washington, didn't do this. Texas was a problem. Haven't been gassing up in other states for quite a while so I don't know the situation with them.

What's really weird is it seems like the closer you are to the Canadian border in the state of Washington the more this is prevalent. It's a pain in the ass. My son said he used some random California ZIP Code that seemed to work. I haven't had that experience.

As a traveller from Australia with a foreign credit card (even though it's VISA or Master Card) we often find that the pump will not accept our cards. Even if we try using a legitimate zip code. It's no big deal and gives us a chance to have a chat to the people working in the store.

We did have a funny experience once on our last trip to the US -

We were in Anacortes, Washington headed for the Tsawwassen ferry to get to Vancouver Island. A quick stop for fuel (still in the US) and as usual this can be a challenge with foreign credit cards, but it was a bit different this time. No surprise, the card doesn't work at the pump so I go into the shop and the pleasant young woman behind the counter smiles, I say "G'day" and "Sorry I don't have a zip code". She surprises me by saying - "You're going to get angry at me". I assure her I won't as she takes the time to explain the process. We had been following this routine for weeks and it was certainly no problem, but she explains anyway. She just needs to run a transaction before we pump the gas and we need to guess how much we will spend. I thank her and tell her I understand and I am certainly not angry. She then exclaims that I'm unusual - “Most Canadians get angry”. I tell her I'm Australian not Canadian. She apologises once more, this time for implying I was Canadian. I tell her I don't mind that she thought I was Canadian and she says - "Oh no, you don't want to be Canadian - they're horrible".

I can only assume this is similar to the local rivalry we have with our New Zealand neighbours - a little dig any chance we get. Or I had accidentally walked into the US / Canadian Public Relations Bureau. :)

I haven't been to Iowa or Kansas in a long time. And I probably won't ever be back there, so I don't know about there.
dc

Can't speak for Iowa either, but most everywhere in Kansas went pre-pay back when gas first topped $2/gallon. In Wichita we saw an increase in gas rips at the time so the convenience stores changed the payment policy to stop the thefts.

Doug, when filling up in the US, simply use your postal code #s, (omitting the letters) and add two zeros at the end. For example N6E 1B4 becomes 61400. :thumb

This works for me at least 19 of out 20 times, if not more. The odd time it doesn't I think that the credit card company is just checking my identity for all the small gas purchases.

Back